ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

wayni
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by wayni » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:54 pm

My question is regarding sidechaining. As I understand it, sidechaining kick and bass works by adding a ducking compressor to a bass track which uses the kick as a input lowering the bass's gain on overlapping beats.

Can the same compressor technique be used with vocals and guitars to allow vocals to be more prominent without adjusting the guitar track fader? Or is this easier dong with a gate/expander? If so, since I have just spent my discretionary funds on Pro-Q and Pro-C, is there a method that can be used via channelstrip or sub-channel filters or am I going to have to resort to fader control?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:40 pm

RobB wrote:...So I went and tried it out, but the pre fader/post fader setting makes no difference to the input level display of the meter, it shows the raw signal coming in which is only affected by the actual input signal (external) and the 'Set record level' knob...

...The meter only shows the level of the track when playing back either pre or post fader....
Hmm! You're absolutely correct - and it doesn't make sense, does it? Perhaps @Rim will take time to explain what it's all about :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:03 pm

With Pre fader metering mode, the meters show the signal before it goes through the fader. With post-fader metering, they show the signal after the fader. I just tested, and it still works this way.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Rim wrote:With Pre fader metering mode, the meters show the signal before it goes through the fader. With post-fader metering, they show the signal after the fader. I just tested, and it still works this way.

Rim
Oops! I've just realised that the settings item in question is "Playback Metering" mode so has nothing to do with Record Level setting. Doh! (and apologies @RobB) :oops:

The OP's question still stands though, i.e. what is pre-fader metering used for?

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 pm

No prob Washboy, you have my point.

My post wasn't questioning that prefader/postfader isn't working as it should, it is working as expected. Just that having the Auria default to prefader and having to change it to post for every project got me wondering that there must be a good reason for it that people with far more recording expertise than I would want it this way.
The question remains 'why?' Is that what was mostly used in the analogue tape days? If so what was the reason.

Just curious :P
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:19 am

for me it makes sense. If it doesn't make sense to someone, he can change it in the settings. Simple. Let's not waste our time with such things. Just listen to the music produced with Auria. Those composers do not question such things, they simply work with Auria, and produce music with it. That's the purpose of Auria.

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:50 am

Strange response Phil.
The thread is called 'Ask the recording experts'. I'm not a recording expert but I'd like to learn more, hence the question. The thread was originally started as a sort of ask about audio recording/engineering principles as it applies to Auria. I'm just someone who asks 'why' a lot I suppose. But if it makes sense to you and you can afford to waste a bit more time I'd like to know when and why pre-fader metering would be used over post-fader. No big deal.
Learning to play drums

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:09 am

RobB wrote:No prob Washboy, you have my point.

My post wasn't questioning that prefader/postfader isn't working as it should, it is working as expected. Just that having the Auria default to prefader and having to change it to post for every project got me wondering that there must be a good reason for it that people with far more recording expertise than I would want it this way.
The question remains 'why?' Is that what was mostly used in the analogue tape days? If so what was the reason.

Just curious :P
When you record in pre fader view, you're seeing the actual input of your signal with no plugins, which allows you to set the level of the signal rather than the volume of the signal. I'm by no means an expert, but that's one reason to use it. Another is for tracking. You can ride the fader as loud as you want without clipping the signal. I hope that makes some sense. Although I'm listed as an expert, I'm far from it.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:07 pm

Having pre-fader metering is useful for a number of reasons, some of which were already posted. Probably the most important one is because in a floating point mixer like Auria's, it's impossible to get distortion by pushing an individual channel's fader too far. This is because all the summing happens at the master fader (or subgroup fader). So showing the the post-fader level on a channel would really serve no purpose. On older analog consoles, it was important to have post-fader metering for adjusting a track so it doesn't clip, but it no longer matters here.

Rim

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks Rim, you posted just as I was writing this.
I think what's below is still partially valid although the internals don't clip I guess it's still good to keep them in the ballpark.
Thanks
------

For anyone interested an interesting old post here:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... ering.html

Makes some sense now. Most use pre-fader over post because it comes after the channel strip so you can see what the channel strip and plugins are doing. You could be completely clipping in the effects stage and not know because if you have the fader down the post fader meter won't show it.

And the post fader metering is a bit redundant as I suppose you can see the level of each track by fader position anyway.
I just haven't done enough mixing yet.
Learning to play drums

Dmjbetz

Post by Dmjbetz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:38 pm

What is the easiest way to get my recorded songs to my iTunes library? Before I do that what is the easiest way to master each song, would it be to group each track together and run it through the eq/compressor?

ArmArnA
Expert

Post by ArmArnA » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:54 am

Hi,

I'd like to get some "dirt" on my recorded vocals. Is there a way within Auria to get some distortion/overdrive on vocals or do I need to buy lets say Fabfilter Saturn to get this effect?

Auria rules!
"Jazz is not dead it just smells funny"

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:57 pm

Dmjbetz wrote:What is the easiest way to get my recorded songs to my iTunes library? Before I do that what is the easiest way to master each song, would it be to group each track together and run it through the eq/compressor?
I don't know about the easiest way, but I mix down the track to DropBox then import it to iTunes on the PC by using the 'add folder to library' thing. Works for me.

As for mastering, again, I'm no expert, but I use the master channel strip (zoom all the way to the right on Mixer view) and the effects insert there affects all channels automatically. I also use the sub groups to help mixing and sometimes to apply effects to, say, all the electric guitars.

By far my favourite mastering effect is the PSP MicroWarmer. Easy to use and fab results.

Hope this helps.

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:28 am

This year will make all the difference in iOS recording than in any other year.. So far I have seen new apps arrive and they fill in most of iOS musicians and producers needs. They all fall short of offering some of the best found in Mac and PC. This year will change all that as new apps with the more professional in mind will crop up. Apps for Mastering your audio and Drums with pro features. Audio interfaces by top names. The iPad has bridged from cool toy to a serious audio tool .
As you all know my videos and help line now reaches out to many and I am glad to help. The most requests I receive now are from very serious musicians and producers who want their iPad recording experience to be just like their desktop and they are willing to change over to the iPad if it can do this ?..etc. I often have to tell them that it won't do this as of yet and I get the feeling they are let down and frustrated. Clearly a large majority if Indie Artists are looking to use the iPad as their major recording tool and they are willing to pay for this experience. Developers and manufacturers have noticed too and they are quickly doing something about it as this year the apps that are coming fill almost all recording needs. So whats left? The iPad ! It is now up to the iPad to get ready for this explosion and it's up to us, the entire iOS recording community to let Apple know and demand a performance from the iPad that can handle the great apps that we are all investing millions of dollars in. Post your requests online and create a buzz that makes Apple realize the audio apps are far exceeding the iPad even my iPad Air !.
Cheers.

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi, Anthony –

Thank you for your efforts. To get the message out quicker and avoid wheel-spinning (in my case, at least, lõl), can you please supply some quality links to which to post for maximum effectiveness?

I wish to post with regard to the performance hits on music and audio apps upon "upgrading" to iOS 7, as well as the reported bugginess of IAA which remains through iOS 7.0.6. It is high time for the 2½-year vacation taken at Apple in the wake of Steve Jobs' passing to finally come to an end; they need to get serious again and get back to work. The Late Mr. Jobs never would have let iOS 7 out the door in its current shape. :x

Best regards,

Mike