ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

supanorton
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by supanorton » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:09 am

RobB wrote:No prob Washboy, you have my point.

My post wasn't questioning that prefader/postfader isn't working as it should, it is working as expected. Just that having the Auria default to prefader and having to change it to post for every project got me wondering that there must be a good reason for it that people with far more recording expertise than I would want it this way.
The question remains 'why?' Is that what was mostly used in the analogue tape days? If so what was the reason.

Just curious :P
When you record in pre fader view, you're seeing the actual input of your signal with no plugins, which allows you to set the level of the signal rather than the volume of the signal. I'm by no means an expert, but that's one reason to use it. Another is for tracking. You can ride the fader as loud as you want without clipping the signal. I hope that makes some sense. Although I'm listed as an expert, I'm far from it.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:07 pm

Having pre-fader metering is useful for a number of reasons, some of which were already posted. Probably the most important one is because in a floating point mixer like Auria's, it's impossible to get distortion by pushing an individual channel's fader too far. This is because all the summing happens at the master fader (or subgroup fader). So showing the the post-fader level on a channel would really serve no purpose. On older analog consoles, it was important to have post-fader metering for adjusting a track so it doesn't clip, but it no longer matters here.

Rim

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks Rim, you posted just as I was writing this.
I think what's below is still partially valid although the internals don't clip I guess it's still good to keep them in the ballpark.
Thanks
------

For anyone interested an interesting old post here:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... ering.html

Makes some sense now. Most use pre-fader over post because it comes after the channel strip so you can see what the channel strip and plugins are doing. You could be completely clipping in the effects stage and not know because if you have the fader down the post fader meter won't show it.

And the post fader metering is a bit redundant as I suppose you can see the level of each track by fader position anyway.
I just haven't done enough mixing yet.
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

Dmjbetz

Post by Dmjbetz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:38 pm

What is the easiest way to get my recorded songs to my iTunes library? Before I do that what is the easiest way to master each song, would it be to group each track together and run it through the eq/compressor?

ArmArnA
Expert

Post by ArmArnA » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:54 am

Hi,

I'd like to get some "dirt" on my recorded vocals. Is there a way within Auria to get some distortion/overdrive on vocals or do I need to buy lets say Fabfilter Saturn to get this effect?

Auria rules!
"Jazz is not dead it just smells funny"

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:57 pm

Dmjbetz wrote:What is the easiest way to get my recorded songs to my iTunes library? Before I do that what is the easiest way to master each song, would it be to group each track together and run it through the eq/compressor?
I don't know about the easiest way, but I mix down the track to DropBox then import it to iTunes on the PC by using the 'add folder to library' thing. Works for me.

As for mastering, again, I'm no expert, but I use the master channel strip (zoom all the way to the right on Mixer view) and the effects insert there affects all channels automatically. I also use the sub groups to help mixing and sometimes to apply effects to, say, all the electric guitars.

By far my favourite mastering effect is the PSP MicroWarmer. Easy to use and fab results.

Hope this helps.

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:28 am

This year will make all the difference in iOS recording than in any other year.. So far I have seen new apps arrive and they fill in most of iOS musicians and producers needs. They all fall short of offering some of the best found in Mac and PC. This year will change all that as new apps with the more professional in mind will crop up. Apps for Mastering your audio and Drums with pro features. Audio interfaces by top names. The iPad has bridged from cool toy to a serious audio tool .
As you all know my videos and help line now reaches out to many and I am glad to help. The most requests I receive now are from very serious musicians and producers who want their iPad recording experience to be just like their desktop and they are willing to change over to the iPad if it can do this ?..etc. I often have to tell them that it won't do this as of yet and I get the feeling they are let down and frustrated. Clearly a large majority if Indie Artists are looking to use the iPad as their major recording tool and they are willing to pay for this experience. Developers and manufacturers have noticed too and they are quickly doing something about it as this year the apps that are coming fill almost all recording needs. So whats left? The iPad ! It is now up to the iPad to get ready for this explosion and it's up to us, the entire iOS recording community to let Apple know and demand a performance from the iPad that can handle the great apps that we are all investing millions of dollars in. Post your requests online and create a buzz that makes Apple realize the audio apps are far exceeding the iPad even my iPad Air !.
Cheers.

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi, Anthony –

Thank you for your efforts. To get the message out quicker and avoid wheel-spinning (in my case, at least, lõl), can you please supply some quality links to which to post for maximum effectiveness?

I wish to post with regard to the performance hits on music and audio apps upon "upgrading" to iOS 7, as well as the reported bugginess of IAA which remains through iOS 7.0.6. It is high time for the 2½-year vacation taken at Apple in the wake of Steve Jobs' passing to finally come to an end; they need to get serious again and get back to work. The Late Mr. Jobs never would have let iOS 7 out the door in its current shape. :x

Best regards,

Mike

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:08 pm

Well I believe that the best forum is in the app review section on the App Store. The powerful app that we are using and how the iPad itself is falling behind the app it's supposed to run. Don't get me wrong, individually all apps are tested to work on these devices as a stand alone app. However it is when one integrate these powerful apps together the iPad Air chokes and that diminishes my recording experience. We have all found clever ways to get the job done and still feel that we got most of the apps enjoyment but deep down we know there is more but we can't have it. Yes everything has limits even my iPad Air but I still love this experience, I'm just eager for the bunny to be finally pulled from the hat. Cheers.

jg707
Expert

Post by jg707 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:11 pm

Hi Anthony,

I have been watching and enjoying your videos on YouTube and they have really helped me get up to speed with the iPad and Auria. I know you are using an Air, but I'm wondering if some of the glitches I occasionally run into are due to my using an iPad 4 or maybe I'm just making some random errors asking too much of any processor?

Cheers!

Shazamm
Expert

Post by Shazamm » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:48 pm

Because of Auria I'm understanding channels and groups and sub groups which is good for effecting more than one track at a time. What are the aux meters for and what's a bus channel when it comes to Auria. I'm a music producer and engendering will only help me with my production thanks

JackWardProject

Post by JackWardProject » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:24 pm

Why after I record mix down and upload to soundcloud, I can't hear the track unless I use headphones.

*****Problem solved*****

Rfigueir

Post by Rfigueir » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:34 am

Desperate for ideas:

I understand this might be a simple problem to most of you but I have quartet (just got it) and Auria (been playing with mixer portion for 3 weeks).

Now I messed around considerably with the maestro software trying at first to just understand it and to get it to play on all 4 inputs correctly from a guitar.

THEN while in input screen (Maestro) I touched the speakers drop down box and my guitar sound disappeared. No matter what I selected it did not come back. Crazy stuff. Eventually after an hour I landed in settings where I changed it to mixer and the guitar sound came back. So I then unplug it from input 3 and into input 1 and no sound again. This stuff should be automatic. Why so complex to simply get a sound.

Not it gets worse. I finally get input 3 on quartet to get to Tack 3 on the auria. So I record a test guitar. It works but of course it is all on the right pan side. why?

Then I go to try and record something on auria track 4 (should be completely simple) through input matrix and no matter what button on the matrix I hit I cannot get a sound on track 4 (AURIA). It still keeps on inputting on 3 on the auria.

Extremely frustrated.

IS THERE SOMETHING THAT HAS TO BE SET ON BOTH MAESTRO AND AURIA FOR SUBSEQUENT RECORDING OF DIFFERENT TRACKS. Any quartet input should be recognized on the auria when I try and select the correct matrix track under input matrix.

please with any ideas respond to brasil@rickfigueiredo.com

I know I will eventually figure this out but it is wasting my time and I have songs to records.

rick Figueiredo
805-338-0032 cell

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:03 pm

Hi,

I've tried ipad with Quartet and I just avoided the Maestro app and just used it straight into Auria.

As to recoding on track 3 - this seems more to do with which inputs are 'armed' for record on Auria. I found that if I was recording from only one input, Auria would pick up the input from whatever track was armed (again, without the Maestro app open). When I looked at the input matrix, it had that input ticked along the board.

As to your one-sided guitar, I've not had this problem. Guitar produces a mono signal and it may be that recording a mono signal onto a stereo track can make it go wrong? Try changing the track you're recording onto to mono?

You can do more clever things from the Maestro app, but I only have use of the Quartet to test briefly, so haven't delved into that and can't help you out with the more detailed settings.

I hope this works - nothing more frustrating than having fabulous gear and not being able to get it to work! You will love the Quartet once it's up and running, it's really nice to work with. :D

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Rfigueir

Post by Rfigueir » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:31 pm

Dm1 not loading on iPad air. Reinstalled several times. Sometimes works. Mostly not. Need suggestions on other drum apps that work with iPad air and auria. Thanks.