ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mdarby
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by mdarby » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:39 am

I have a mixing/mastering question for the experts. Thanks for any suggestions.

I am recording a cover version of Radiohead's Exit Music For A Film. I have all the parts recorded and am trying to mix it close to the original. In the Radiohead version, the vocals are quite loud in the mix relative to other parts. It is quite distinctive. I don't think they just pushed up the vocal fader. The voice seems pretty bass-rich and maybe distorted.

I know I can't sing like Thomas Yorke but would like to get some of the same effect as the original song. Any suggestions?

Sorry if you aren't familiar with the song. I assumed I should not attach an .mp3 for copyright.

Thanks,
Michael

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:58 am

Hi MDarby, here is how I would begin to copy a mix. If you have ProQ use the frequency analyser to watch for the frequency and gain of the main vocal as well as the other parts. Write down the frequency and gain difference for both parts. Now when miixing your own version try to EQ your parts to the marching frequency and gain. Then once your close get ProC out and have ProC listen to just that frequency and compress that frequency only this will raise the relative level of the vocal without using the fader. As well if it sounds distorted than it probably is so use some Saturn dialed in slightly in certain frequencies. This will help the vocal obtain presence without raising the level as well. Finish off with some glueing compression if it still sounds seperated or not sounding whole. DCam BussCompressor otr ProC or even the PsP Channel Strip compressor will do it fine. Good luck. Don't forget to limit with your ProL to match the originals overall level.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:26 am

don't know the song in question, but from the description there could also be some ducking applied to the instruments, triggered by the voice level.

mdarby
Expert

Post by mdarby » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks for the specific suggestions. I just bought Pro-Q and Pro-C so will use those to do some analysis / adjustments.

mdarby
Expert

Post by mdarby » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Looking at the reference (Radiohead) track in Pro-Q was instructive. Thanks, what a great tool! It really is loud, with the curve swelling from 100-200 Hz in one or more peaks. I am assuming that isn't the natural spectrum of a normally pitched male voice.

Also, there is hiss on the vocals as well. On my own version, I used a gate to remove microphone hiss but I guess they were going for a different effect. I hadn't really noticed it until I listened more carefully.

hotlipslawson
Expert

Post by hotlipslawson » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Can someone please tell me how to access in-app purchases? I bought PianoVerb2 during the sale a few days ago and the auto-tune app several weeks ago and have not been able to find and start using either one.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Both of those should be in your plugin insert menu. If you don't see them, click on the Restore Purchases button in the store.

Rim

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi folks,

Quick question. I have a rock track that has a relatively quiet intro and then everything comes in at once. I've dialed up the compression pretty high which works nicely during the song itself, but there's a dodgy bit when everything comes in. The big thump of it all coming in seems to overwhelm everything and it sort of goes quiet. This only happens at the very start - it's as if the compression gets overwhelmed by all the instruments coming in hard at once.

Any way of avoiding that?

Cheers.

Bob Amser

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Does the compressor have a lookahead? Maybe you could automate that right before everything comes in?

Otherwise:

Bounce two versions of the song, one with the compression where it sounds good on the loud parts, and one where it sounds good on the softer parts. Then just cut and paste (and xfade) the best of both verisons into one.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:16 am

Thanks, I'll give that a go. I'm using the included compressor with Auria for now, but got my eye on the pro-q one.

Thanks for the help.

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Spud
Expert

Post by Spud » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:08 pm

A bit of volume automation on the tracks around that point might work. Or you could set another compressor/limiter at a higher threshold only triggered by that really loud bit and use a very high compression ratio to really crush it.
Bob Amser wrote:Hi folks,

Quick question. I have a rock track that has a relatively quiet intro and then everything comes in at once. I've dialed up the compression pretty high which works nicely during the song itself, but there's a dodgy bit when everything comes in. The big thump of it all coming in seems to overwhelm everything and it sort of goes quiet. This only happens at the very start - it's as if the compression gets overwhelmed by all the instruments coming in hard at once.

Any way of avoiding that?

Cheers.

Bob Amser

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:47 am

Spud wrote:Or you could set another compressor/limiter at a higher threshold only triggered by that really loud bit and use a very high compression ratio to really crush it.
for ducking you'd need side-chain input. Is there side-chain in Auria? That would be new to me.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:47 am

Yes, Auria has side chain. The selector for it is on the top of every plugin window. However, in order for it to work, you need to use a plugin that supports it. The only ones that do are the FabFilter plugins.

Rim

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:30 pm

this is great, I didn't know that. I only have the Pro-Q, and in this case the Pro-C becomes really interesting for me. Thank you Rim, I missed that info about side-chaining.

Br8zinn
Expert

Post by Br8zinn » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Is there a way for me to send or input? My soundcloud song into AURIA....I have a song I did that I lost between all these updates and such and I have the instrumental on soundcloud only....how can I send to AURIA in order to add new vocals and remaster so to speak???thanks so much!!