Mid Side Decoder

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

slightlystippled

Mid Side Decoder

Post by slightlystippled » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:38 am

I have a Zoom H2n which outputs mid-side raw through the USB port. Is it possible (without a VST plugin) to produce a mid-side decoder. Schematically an MS decoder only consists inverting and summing signals both of which Auria can achieve but how can I split each channel into two signal paths (L+R and L-R)? If this was achievable it would provide the ability to change stereo width dynamically.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Mid Side Decoder

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:51 am

I haven't tested this, but in theory, you should be able to do this in Auria using subgroups. Create four mono tracks. Then, in the input matrix, assign track 1 to the L input of the H2n, track 2 to to R, track 3 to L and track 4 to R. Now, in the mixer, assign track to 1 and 2 to sub 1 and 3 and 4 to sub 2. Press the invert switch on track 4 . Now simply adjusting sub1 and sub2 will give you your Mid Side adjustments.

Rim

slightlystippled

Post by slightlystippled » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:42 am

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. This looked very promising but Auria will only let me arm 2 of the four tracks in any combination!! Is thee some limit that only permits the number of tracks to be armed as there are input channels? If I remove the H2n and just use the iPad mic, I can only arm one channel.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:55 pm

You're right. This is a limitation which existed before the input matrix was added. There's no need for that now, so I've removed it. 1.05 will not have this limitation.

Rim

slightlystippled

Post by slightlystippled » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:36 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for all your help, I'll look forward to the next release.

StudioSteve

Post by StudioSteve » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:04 pm

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, I think you're going about this the wrong way. It doesn't have to be so complicated.

I do mid-side all the time with MOTU DP. Here's what I do. You track one mid track and one side track. Then, in post, Take the side track and copy it to another track. Now you have trk1=mid, and trk2 & trk3 both = side. Group faders 2 & 3 together, pan those two trks out hard left and right, and flip the polarity on trk3. Bring up trk1s fader, then bring up trks2 & 3 to taste.

BINGO!

There's your mid-side stereo.

So, when you download from your Zoom next time, dup the side track, flip the polarity on the dup, pan it out, and there you go!
Last edited by StudioSteve on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

slightlystippled

Post by slightlystippled » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks StudioSteve for your solution. It would work for pre-recorded tracks but not for live recording. However there may be merit in recording Mid and side and mixing later (sound stage width etc.)

slightlystippled

Post by slightlystippled » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Mid Side decoding now works in V 1.05 of Auria following Rim's instructions above with the addition of panning Tracks 1 & 2 hard Left and Tracks 3 & 4 hard Right. Magic!