Audiobus support ?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

DavePDX
Expert

Re: Audiobus support ?

Post by DavePDX » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Keeperz-

I've run Auria on every model of iPad except the Mini, and while I haven't run any formal comparison, I will say that the improvement running it on the 4 is far less subtle than the other models. It's a far smoother experience. I typically run fewer than 8 tracks with only a couple of plugs on each track, so I don't think I'm pushing it nearly as hard as some other folks.

I also have used the IODock and have gotten good results with that. As you probably know, the preamps are a bit lacking, but it's very convenient to charge simultaneously, and the physical stability of the iODock is also nice compared with using the CCK, which can easily become disconnected at an importune time.
Unfortunately, I haven't found another way to charge the iPad while using an audio device. I have a nifty splitter that DOES work with the iPhone 5 interestingly enough, but when I tried it with the iPad (any model), it always reverts to "Not Charging" regardless of the power supply used, as soon as attach any audio device (even those with their own 30-pin connector). The website states that it will not work the the CCK at all, which I'm sure is true, though I haven't tested that. Here's a link for anyone who wants to charge their iPhone while using an audio device. I've tried it with the Apogee MiC, Jam, and the iRIG Keyboard, and it works with all of those. It does require the 30-pin to Lightning adapter, of course on the iPhone 5.

http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockStubz.html

Back to the thread subject of Audiobus, I've been putting that through the paces a little bit, very impressive on every device, but noticeably quicker and smoother on iPad 4.

acaonweb
Expert

Post by acaonweb » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:02 am

Rim wrote:Apple prevents us (and all developers) from making an in-app purchase item free based on certain criteria. For example, we can't allow users who already own the JamUp app to get a free download of Jam Up for Auria. I wish they had a system for doing that, but it simply doesn't exist.

The AudioBus implementation in Auria will allow you to send audio from Auria to another AudioBus enabled app, and also receive audio from another app. So in theory, using AudioBus, you can use Auria as a "plug-in host" if you wanted to.

In terms of CPU constraints, Auria uses a very large playback buffer (4096). When you record in Auria, the buffer size goes down to whatever you set it to in the settings (usually 256 samples). Lower buffer sizes result in greater CPU usage, so a project that had a low CPU usage (say 40%) might jump up to 70% when you lower the buffer size. This is already how Auria works. When using AudioBus, the buffer must remain at a low size (typically 256), so using AudioBus with Auria will result in greater CPU usage (similar to what you're already used to when doing recording in Auria).

Additionally, the convolution reverb will be unavailable when using AudioBus, because the convolution reverb doesn't work at lower buffer sizes (this is already the case right now, as the convolution reverb gets automatically disabled when recording in Auria).

So none of this is really new. Auria already works exactly like this when recording, so to get a feel for how Auria will work when using AudioBus, just record enable a track using a 256-sample latency.

Rim
you mean that u cannot use some activation code mode inside app? I mean, if jamup creators give the ability to activate their plugin with a SN that it could be the same for the stand alone app isnt impossible??? just a question, just for learn mechanism inside Apple Developer World:)
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com

AlleycatLA

Post by AlleycatLA » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:31 am

I've been playing with audiobus, jamup and multitrack, and then noticed jamup in the auria store too. I suspect using plug-ins in auria might give more control and maybe even automation that you can't get from a filter position in audiobus. I hope your implementation of audiobus allows multi-track recording. As far as I can tell using the multitrack app recording multiple tracks, all tracks use the same audiobus filter during recording - not ideal. Then again I might be wrong - I'm a newbie, lol... By the way, this is my first post. auria is an amazing app. You guys have done a great job!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:06 am

Apple does not allow "activation codes", or any other kind of mechanism for making in-app purchases free for some people.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:07 am

Yes, the Audiobus support in Auria will do multiple input streams, so you'll be able to record several app outputs at once (provided you have enough CPU and memory to do it).

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:40 am

Rim wrote:Apple does not allow "activation codes", or any other kind of mechanism for making in-app purchases free for some people.

Rim
I'm aware of one well known and popular music app that facilitates 'transfer' of IAPs from its free version to its paid version.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:13 pm

It's possible to get things approved by Apple, but that doesn't mean it doesn't violate their rules. Apple could pull that app at any time if they feel it breaks their rules.

Even if Apple at some point changed their rules to allow IAP "activations" to be transferred between two apps made by the same company, Auria is a unique case where we feature third party IAP within our app. In Apple's eyes, the JamUp plugin within Auria is made by a different company from the Jam Up app available separately (even though Positive Grid really make both).

Rim

acaonweb
Expert

Post by acaonweb » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:07 am

Rim wrote:Apple does not allow "activation codes", or any other kind of mechanism for making in-app purchases free for some people.

Rim
Tabletop-Ready Apps:

An important milestone in the evolution of music apps on iOS, Tabletop Ready Apps are stand-alone apps that work inside Tabletop. When users purchase a Tabletop Ready App, a free version is automatically unlocked inside Tabletop. Users can place apps from top music brands in their Tabletop sessions, seamlessly integrating with the dozens of devices already available.
It seems could be possible purchase an app and find the same app as module in Tabletop...

Lol, how can they do that?
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com

Tlgdmb123

Post by Tlgdmb123 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:46 pm

Just to chime in here - buy Akai iMpc and it activates a version in Tabletop....so must be possible to buy as a standalone app and activate in another app as an add in?? How can this be and jamup etc cant in auria? It does seem you guys are missing a trick.

:|

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:50 am

It's completely possible technically. Actually pretty easy to do. It's just against Apple's rules. We'd be breaking the contract.

Rim

Tlgdmb123

Post by Tlgdmb123 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:13 am

OK -it will be interesting to see what happens, if it becomes apparent that apple accept this then we may get back to you.

However, what is really important is ... How you doing with audiobus? 8)

Just kidding looking forward to it when its ready.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:17 am

Keeperz wrote:First of all I wanna say...excellent application ty Rim!

My question is of course open for any member to discuss, as I am purchasing an ipad4 and I need to know the cpu difference as compared to the ipad2?

I know someone here has maxed auria on plugs etc on both these units, and i need a better view as to what I am getting into.

i am going to be using a lexicon omega via lightning to usb adapter

Also, i am so used to using the alesis io dock and it charging my ipad while i do music, that i wonder if this is possible thru a splitter or etc?
Okay here is the real truth. Compared to my iPad 2 the new iPad 4 which I have and use now, is 5 times faster. I can load 12 plugins in 4 tracks and not even take the CPU to 23% . Working with the iPad 4 is really like a MacBook Pro in your palms.
You just simply won't believe it. I put it through a comparison with my iPad 3 ( I've had a 2&3 ) with video rendering a very CPU intensive process with Pinnacle Studio and while the iPad 3 rendered 1 5 min movie, the iPad 4 rendered 5 and applied a filter to the entire project as well. All the while the iPad 3 was still not done the first render. Hope this helps. Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:23 am

Just a quick announcement - We are going be releasing Audiobus support in Auria v1.06. The next update, 1.05 (which should be submitted to Apple this week) will feature several new plug-ins and many bug fixes. We were hoping to get Audiobus ready for 1.05, but there are still some issues the Audiobus team needs to work out before it's ready for an app like Auria. They are working hard at making this happen right now, and we'll be testing it as soon as it's ready.

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:59 am

Great news Rim. Thanks for getting this out this soon. Looking forward to the new plugins too. Just wanted to say that as of the last few days I have been doing some very intensive work with Auria on my iPad 4 and Auria is behaving and no strange problems so everything is running very smooth. All plugins anf FX working great. Ah Auria, what a breath of fresh air.
I own every recording app even the latest releases and NOTHING compares to Auria.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:06 am

intermediary bug fix releases are appreciated