Condense Region problem

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Condense Region problem

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:27 pm

When I condense regions the drive space goes down and more files are saved than when I started with. Some tracks were frozen so not sure if thats the issue. If I understand condense region it should reduce the file size on my flash drive not increase or am I missunderstanding Condense Region. Cheers.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Condense Region problem

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:35 am

Condense regions usually (but not always) trims space from your hard drive by looking through your project and trimming off any regions that have their handles set (offset and length). FYI. it's a destructive process, so if you had some handles set, then do a Condense Regions, you won't be able to put those handles back afterwards. The issue happens if your project contains a lot of duplicated regions. In this case, Condense Regions might actually increase the hard drive usage, as it has to make several copies of your duplicated regions in order to accommodate for your various handle settings on all these duplicates.

So the general rule of thumb is - if your project has a lot of duplicated regions, it's probably not a good idea to use Condense Regions, as you won't gain much savings.

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Condense Region problem

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks Rim I will avoid this process.cheers.