Recut session

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Navpack
Expert

Recut session

Post by Navpack » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:21 pm

I have been using Auria to post-edit/mix audio for video projects, and have been very happy with the results. Client called today with the news that they current project has gone through an extensive recut and they will be delivering a new aaf and reference video.

Would there be any thoughts on how best to reconfom? This is the 30 minute project with many dialog edits and the thought of trying to select each clip with the multi select tool prior to making each session edit seems like I will miss something along the way. I could probably render each track, then make the conform but that limits my options with regards to any realtime automation. If there was the ability to ripple delete a range, or 'select from cursor to end' option it seems like it would be much more workable. And running some experimenting, it appears automation doesn't move with the clip.

I may be better off exporting an aaf to my desktop editor, but before I go down that road I thought I'd put this out there to the group.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Phil999
Expert

Re: Recut session

Post by Phil999 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:12 pm

Navpack wrote:it appears automation doesn't move with the clip.
it does not, and I believe this is something that makes it difficult to re-arrange a project. But it has been mentioned before, and the developers took notice of it. Hopefully it will be fixed in a future update.

I only made a quick test with video in Auria, I think it would be interesting for other users and the developers to learn about your project and your particular wishes for Auria. It would be valuable if you could tell more about the entire process from getting the files from the client, editing/recording, and final delivery.

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks Phil999 (like the handle)....

This particular client produces educational shows for both NASA tv and their web portal. I've been priviledged to take care of their post audio for quite some time and count the producers as good friends. In addition to my post work I also travel a good bit and Auria has been a time and client saver for me in its short life.

Currently I take in an OMF as well as ipod scale video for reference. When the next version comes along, one of the improvements should be proper reading of an aaf file that contains .aif and not .wav files, so the client can provide aaf directly without having to jump through some hoops. currently I translate the provided OMF to aaf and convert the aif to wav files, then move to Auria.

SFX and show music live in Dropbox. One of my other wishes is a proper manager of metadata, search and import app for Dropbox or ftp. The native DB app works okay, but all my cues are embedded with Soundminer metadata and that doesn't get picked up by DB search mechanism. Currently I 'open in' desired cues from DB to Hokusai, then audio copy/paste into Auria.

I believe we are on the leading edge of another evolution in the edit process. My client is aware of what I am doing and willing to live through some bumps while the new processes are refined. It's nice to have real material to try out new things...

Not to belabor this whole thing much longer, but past projects have ended up with approx 20 tracks; 8 mono dialog\source music/nats. The rest are stereo music/sfx tracks. Nothing super complex, most of the work is dialog cleanup and simple design to go along with graphic elements. I export out both .wav and .mp3; compressed version gets posted to dropbox for review (can't remember the last time a client actually came by to listen), and then the final .wav is sent when approved. FTP import/export would make this process much more flexible, but it's working now and I'm thankful for that.

I should receive the new edit files tomorrow and will post as this all gets sorted. Delivery looks to be needed over the weekend, so it'll be a fairly quick-turn.

Phil.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 pm

thanks a lot for the information, that was interesting. And a good real-life example of Auria's potential. File conversions are necessary sometimes, but as long as it works it's fine. I also converted OMF to AAF successfully and brought a Cubase project into Auria this way. And as Auria might become more and more popular, older DAW's will hopefully include AAF export in future. Best would be not needing a computer at all and do everything mobile.

Are you using Hokusai for .aif to .wav conversion, or for truncating before importing into Auria? In case you are looking for an audio editor with http/ftp transfer, TwistedWave has it. I can recommend this app.

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks for the tip - reason I use Hokusai is to make the search/import process easier. I have many thousands of sfx files on dropbox, and after finding one I want to import it seems easier to do an 'open in' Hokusai and audio copy/paste than to navigate through Auria's Dropbox menu. I'll look at TwistedWave today.

phil.