question on pops and clicks

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

sleepingangel

question on pops and clicks

Post by sleepingangel » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:09 am

I just downloaded Auria during the special and I'm really happy I did. I come from a background of using Sonar as well as Logic and this is the first app that feels like home!! I did a quick recording in an app called Jam Up Pro XT and copy and pasted it as a loop into auria. Then I recorded a little jam over it straight into auria and it was AMAZING..not the jam so much lol but the quality. Here's my problem. The loop from Jam up has a distinct pop after it finishes therefore it's there for the whoe 8 loops ..in between each cycle. Is there an easy way to get rid of the pops and clicks. I haven't read the manual so sorry if this is evident. The only thing I managed to do was enlarge the wave to hone in on where it was but after that I have no clue.
Thanks so much
Maria

:P

Rim
Site Admin

Re: question on pops and clicks

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:32 pm

Sure, you can simply set your loops selection to avoid the click at the end. To set your loops start and end pointers, just double tap and hold on the timeline.

Rim

sleepingangel

Post by sleepingangel » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:57 pm

Rim wrote:Sure, you can simply set your loops selection to avoid the click at the end. To set your loops start and end pointers, just double tap and hold on the timeline.

Rim
okay two things. Not sure how to do that (guess I better read the manual) and two what if it the loop was copy and pasted that way with the pops or clicks...is there a way to reduce that? I know I have used soudforge on my desktop DAW and there is a feature that says "reduce sibilants and plosives" or something to that effect.
Thanks
Maria

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:01 pm

I was referring to using Auria's loop feature (loop mode is a feature that will play your imported region over and over again). You can let Auria know where to start and stop this looping. But if you simply want to play that region once, don't bother with looping. An easier way to eliminate that pop, is to use the trim handles on that region. They are the arrows at the bottom of every region. Tap and hold for a second or two on the right arrow, until you see a larger arrow appear. Then drag it in, until the pop is gone.

Rim

sleepingangel

Post by sleepingangel » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:59 pm

Rim wrote:I was referring to using Auria's loop feature (loop mode is a feature that will play your imported region over and over again). You can let Auria know where to start and stop this looping. But if you simply want to play that region once, don't bother with looping. An easier way to eliminate that pop, is to use the trim handles on that region. They are the arrows at the bottom of every region. Tap and hold for a second or two on the right arrow, until you see a larger arrow appear. Then drag it in, until the pop is gone.

Rim

Okay thanks for your input I will try both next time!!
Maria
and not to bog you down but is there a way to create a track that you can loop across the time line. For example I have this 4 bar chord progression and want it to repeat over and over so that I can improvise over it and record my improvisation for 3 minutes. If I use the loop feature you referred to doesn't that just keep going back to the beginning of the four bars (or whatever you have it looped for) and not keep going? I hope you know what I mean. In Sonar if you record a measure you can just turn that clip into a loop by dragging it at the corner and you can loop if for how ever many bars you want.
Thanks again
Maria

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:23 am

Hi there,

If I was trying to loop a 4-bar section these are the steps I would take.
1. Record your 4-bar progression
2. Trim the end of region (if necessary)
3. Highlight the region (edge of region turns blue)
4. Go into edit menu and select Duplicate Region
5. Repeat as many times as you like

Hope this helps

Aaron

sleepingangel

Post by sleepingangel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:13 am

Thanks so much> I think your way is probably the best and only way to do this in Auria...I think I got a little spoiled with how easy it is to turn a 4 bar recording into a groove clip in Sonar. you literally just drag it from the edges..and that seems to be the way Garageband works too....because of this i guess I didn't even think of doing it the old fashioned way lol
Thanks for reminding me and here' s to hoping they implement this tiny but very useful feature...maybe I should put it into a feature request.
Maria

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:56 am

If you set your snap to Bar (or Beats) in Auria, it will act like Sonar does in this way.

Rim

sleepingangel

Post by sleepingangel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:25 am

Hi Rim,
Thanks so much for chiming in. That seems to be what I didn't have set right so now I am able to have Auria loop a measure (or whatever loop I created) which is awesome for practicing parts but now I have a second question...like Sonar is there a way to extend this loop so that it is say 10 measures and then I can lay day a line on another track? At first I thought that's what you meant but when i try to drag it...it just goes to the one where it can be moved or extended to the capacity of what ever was recorded. Hope I'm making sense.
Thanks so much...getting it to at least loop in the first sense is good news as I tried to figure that one out (with the locators set and the track kept playing...now I know why I didn't have that one part set right...) amazing when someone turns the light bulb on!!

Maria

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:06 am

Ok, I understand what you're asking. Right now, Auria doesn't do region based looping, only global looping.

Rim

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Hello user and RIM...I just wanted to note that, unfortunately, this happens alot to me as well.

Even when i record within Auria, when i cut a region, it often inserts an artificial transient spike at beginning and/or end of region.

Perhaps this is corrected with the 'auto crossfade' function (which i have turned off since i want what i actually recorded, not auto fadouts). But short 10ms crossfade selection may help?

RIM what say you of auto crossfade, where is it inserted? Like at any region cut or is this only applied when regions are joined, or is it applied when we are recording instead?

Thanks for helping us!

S.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Trupro,

The original poster was talking about pops and clicks that occurred in another app, not caused by Auria. You should not be getting any pops caused by Auria itself. If you are, I really recommend you enable auto cross fades. This feature doesn't take up any extra CPU or memory and is highly recommended. It inserts am automatic crossfade any time two regions are next to each other or overlapping.

Rim

sleepingangel

Post by sleepingangel » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:41 am

Hi thanks for the reply...do you think regional looping may be implemented in a future update?
also how do you enable auto cross fade you spoke about?

Thanks so much
Maria

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:24 am

Auto crossfade is enabled by default, and it's located in the settings page.

Region based looping is on our list for future improvements.

Rim