64 or 32 bit mixer

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Schimanski
Expert

64 or 32 bit mixer

Post by Schimanski » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:57 am

The coming weekend I have two live recording sessions.I use iPad4,64GB,Focusrite 18i6 and of course Auria latest version.
The setup is : 3 mics and a stereo synth into the FOH mixer.I take the direct outs of this mixer and plug them into the 18i6 line
Ins.And I use 2 mics into the mic ins of the 18i6 for ambience.I have to record 2x 60 min sets.
So I did a test recording with everything hooked up - everything worked fine,I even recorded two projects with 70 min,just to
be safe.No problems.
My settings are:backgr.audio off,aux delay comp.off,latency buffer 500, effects while recording off,rec.monitoring on.
Long story...Now here my questions:
I used the 64bit mixer.Does this affect the recording quality or does this only affect the monitoring quality?
When I switched to 32 bit,I had the strange impression that the audio was kind of "compressed".Very strange!
My second question: would it be preferable to use the highest latency buffer (safety) as nobody has to sync during
this recording?
Btw,the 18i6 works great!Plug in and start recording...
Thanks for replies!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: 64 or 32 bit mixer

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:10 am

Your settings look good. The 32/64 bit setting only affects mixing, not recording. All recording is done at 24 bits (the maximum the A/D converters output). There's no need to set the latency any higher if your CPU reading is low.

Rim