Alternative to AAF export

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Alternative to AAF export

Post by dominicperry » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:38 pm

Are there any plans to include another export format from Auria?
AAF is, sadly, no good for any of the DAWS I own.
I would like to be able to do an export of all WAVs from 00:00:00 so that they line up, one for each track, without having to solo each track individually and then do a mix. That's very slow, even for just 4 or 5 tracks.
Or a BWF export would do.
Personally, I'm not bothered about session information - fades, compressor setting etc - if I'm doing an export it's because I want to edit and mix in my DAW, not in Auria. But getting all the raw data out is a pain at the moment. Any clues please?

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Alternative to AAF export

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:36 am

Auria already support BWF. All the wav files recorded in Auria are BWF files. However, the position information inside the BWF files is for the original record position. In other words, if you started recording at 3 seconds in from the start, the WAV files will contain a BWF start of 3 seconds. Moving the regions around won't change that BWF position. This is how most DAWs support BWF.

We're looking into supporting other export formats as well.

Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:00 am

Thanks for the reply Rim.

When are the wav files BWF ? I've done an 'Export as AAF' from Auria, and the files in the folder are not BWF, at least, they don't seem to have any position data in them. I've tried Presonus Studio One and Reaper. Both import all files at 00:00:00 even though I've got a different record start position for each file. Reaper gives me an inspector which shows that the original item has no position offset.

Clearly the .PRJ file is no good to me when I'm trying to import to a DAW. What have I misunderstood?

Thanks

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:40 pm

When you export as AAF in Auria, it doesn't write BWF files, because many DAWs don't recognize BWF files in an aaf project. However, Auria uses BWF as it's native record format, so if you recorded all your files in Auria, all the wav files in your project will be BFW wav files. Just copy the project onto your computer using iTunes, and look inside the project bundle. All your wav files will be in there.

Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:10 am

Ok thanks for the explanation.

It would be helpful if there was a way of getting BWF files without iTunes. An inbuilt web-server (like NanoStudio has) for transferring files would be very useful. Having to revert to a computer, and specifically _my_ computer, for each file transfer, is a problem. Thanks again for your responses.

Dominic

Lynn Fuston
Expert

Post by Lynn Fuston » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:21 am

dominicperry wrote:Having to revert to a computer, and specifically _my_ computer, for each file transfer, is a problem.
Agreed.