Record Latency Adjustment in Prefs?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Lynn Fuston
Expert

Record Latency Adjustment in Prefs?

Post by Lynn Fuston » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:17 pm

I'm not sure I understand what this feature does, even though I've read through the paragraph several times.
Excerpt from page 32 of the manual:
Record Latency Adjustment – Enter a time value, in samples, to shift recorded audio earlier during recording. Auria automatically attempts to detect the hardware latency of the attached audio interface (both internal or USB interfaces), and then compensates for it so that recorded tracks line up correctly. If a particular interface either doesn’t report its latency, or the reported latency is incorrect, use this setting to manually compensate and have Auria shift recorded tracks by the amount entered. To determine an interface’s internal latency a Loop-Back test should be performed (see below).
Does this mean that if I'm using the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 with Auria on an iPad 4, recording at 96 kHz, that I can adjust it to compensate for the fact that I need to use a 1024 buffer for the recording? Will this allow the players to hear themselves with no latency as I'm doing overdubs? I'm unclear as to how this works and it's a feature I haven't seen before in other DAWs I've worked with.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Record Latency Adjustment in Prefs?

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Lynn Fuston wrote:I'm not sure I understand what this feature does, even though I've read through the paragraph several times.
Excerpt from page 32 of the manual:
Record Latency Adjustment – Enter a time value, in samples, to shift recorded audio earlier during recording. Auria automatically attempts to detect the hardware latency of the attached audio interface (both internal or USB interfaces), and then compensates for it so that recorded tracks line up correctly. If a particular interface either doesn’t report its latency, or the reported latency is incorrect, use this setting to manually compensate and have Auria shift recorded tracks by the amount entered. To determine an interface’s internal latency a Loop-Back test should be performed (see below).
Does this mean that if I'm using the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 with Auria on an iPad 4, recording at 96 kHz, that I can adjust it to compensate for the fact that I need to use a 1024 buffer for the recording? Will this allow the players to hear themselves with no latency as I'm doing overdubs? I'm unclear as to how this works and it's a feature I haven't seen before in other DAWs I've worked with.
I have the iPad 4 and there is no significant latency to worry about. Are you having latency issues? If your pushing the ipad with many tracks recording at the same time with lots of FX then maybe but latency should remain minimal. I have never had to engage this feature as when I play back my tracks that I am overdubbing to there is no latency to speak of. What is your set-up and are you actually experiencing this or just curious as to what this feature is?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:54 pm

The latency adjustment is only used for audio interfaces which mis-report their latency. In other words, if you're using an interface which has 122 samples of latency, and it only reports 108 samples to iOS, you would type in 14 into the box. This is completely different from the record latency in Auria (1024, etc). What we're talking about here is interface latency (sometimes known as group delay). It's usually not necessary to use this setting, as most interfaces report their latency correctly.

Rim

Lynn Fuston
Expert

Post by Lynn Fuston » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Thanks, Rim. I wasn't referring to the record buffer. I just didn't understand from the description what that feature actually did. You explained it well.

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:18 pm

Rim wrote:The latency adjustment is only used for audio interfaces which mis-report their latency. In other words, if you're using an interface which has 122 samples of latency, and it only reports 108 samples to iOS, you would type in 14 into the box. This is completely different from the record latency in Auria (1024, etc). What we're talking about here is interface latency (sometimes known as group delay). It's usually not necessary to use this setting, as most interfaces report their latency correctly.

Rim
Could you tell us...where do you see the 'latency report' occur in auria or iOs, like
where do we see that?

thanx!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Trupro, it's only something you can get through experimentation. Record a little "click" onto a track, then play that click while connecting out 1 to input 2 of your interface, for example, then record input 1 into Auria. Look at the amount of latency there is after the test.

Rim