Multiple crashes- please help!!

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Dt_hughes

Multiple crashes- please help!!

Post by Dt_hughes » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:47 am

Hi
I recently purchased auria and fab filter micro as read some fantastic reviews. However I am most annoyed and disappointed as every time I use auria I experience multiple crashes, and the interface doing random things like when I want to duplicate a series of parts it copies some then deletes others. These crashes and bugs are basically making the app unusable, and I am filling in more crash reports than making music. I have a 3rd gen 32gb iPad and the most recent version of auria.

I have sent an email to support asking for a refund but I would be delighted if
someone can tell me how to remedy this. I don't want to totally abandon it as the idea of having a pro level daw is appealing as I'm on the road a lot.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

Tom

mtingle
Expert

Re: Multiple crashes- please help!!

Post by mtingle » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:12 am

I would wait for the next update 1.04 currently in review at Apple. It may fix a number of the issues you are experiencing.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:09 am

Tom,

I'm really sorry you're having trouble! Auria is still a relatively new app, and incredibly complex, so bugs are still present. I appreciate you filling out bug reports. What would really help is if you could also bring some of the bugs to my attention here. If I can duplicate a bug, it's usually very easy for me to fix it. But I just need a reliable way to duplicate it.

Also, please check the bug thread (at the top of the topic list). This will let you know which bugs are already fixed for upcoming versions.

Thanks,
Rim

Dt_hughes

Post by Dt_hughes » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:15 am

Thanks guys for the very swift reply.

Rim,I appreciate the complexity of the programme, and in the short spells it has worked it has been superb in terms of sound quality and effects, and the editing features are good. no problem I will list the bugs I am experiencing on this thread for you. I had a particularly bad night last night (I think the app crashed somewhere in the region of 20 times!!).

The main ones from what I can remember were;

1) when moving a part, usually while the track was playing, (but sometimes not) the app would crash.
2) I tried duplicating a four bar block of 4 tracks and bar 2 and 4 copied while 1 and 3 were deleted before crashing. When I reopened the app most parts were placed randomly across tracks that they were not assigned to.
3) creating automation data for high pass filter frequency on fabfilter caused the app to crash.
4) I was unable to create a 90 deg vertical change in filter frequency automation.
It would only allow me to create a data line on a diagonal.

There were several other issues and I will try again later and continue to fill out the reports and list them on here. I hope that helps. Thanks for the quick response!

There

Dt_hughes

Post by Dt_hughes » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:47 am

Sorry that sign off should have read Tom not there! Predictive text on my phone!!

I don't want to appear an arse! Thanks again

Dt_hughes

Post by Dt_hughes » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Another issue; just tried duplicating a clip, but it duplicated something totally different and pasted it much further along the timeline, not where I indicated, then the programme crashed.

Thanks

Tom

Dt_hughes

Post by Dt_hughes » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Sorry but one last issue from tonight's session; clips don't always snap accurately to bar positions (ie starting before or after the bar marker) when the bar snap value selected and the only workaround is manually adjusting with non- snap mode selected. I hope all this helps! Thanks again

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:32 am

Tom,

Ok, thanks. What would really help is if you could spell out discrete steps for me to follow, starting from The Approach demo song, so I can duplicate these bugs here reliably every time. The problem is I usually can't get bugs to happen on my system when they're reported ;) So a step by step set of instructions makes a world of difference. The bugs are usually very easy to fix once I can see them happen.

For example:
1. Load The Approach demo song
2. Go to the Editor window
3. Tap and hold on the first clip on track 1. Move it to track 2.
4. Crash

The bug you mentioned related to copying a bunch of clips, then pasting them might already be fixed in 1.04.

Thanks,
Rim

rafael_ollero
Expert

Post by rafael_ollero » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi Rim..
How many days for 1.04 release?
I want to test Jumup !!
Btw, Excellent Work !!

Dt_hughes

Post by Dt_hughes » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:02 am

Rim,

I rebooted my ipad twice last night before using auria and to be fair it was working much better with less crashes (I managed with only one crash in an hour).

In terms of the crashes listed above I can't remember the exact steps for the crashes the previous night. But I have one from yesterday's session;

1: I moved an audio clip from bar 20 to bar 1 on track 5 (i think).
2: Duplicated clip 3 times.
3: Resized screen to zoom out.
4: crash

I will make a note of the exact steps next time again and will keep you updated.

Thanks for your help, Tom

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:50 am

Ok, thanks, I really appreciate it. I just tried following your steps using the Approach demo, and it didn't crash for me. The best thing is to try it yourself with the Approach demo, and if you can get it to crash every time, please let me know the exact steps. Also, things like this will help:

- Did you have time set to Bars/Beats, or Min:Sec?
- Was Snap turned on?

If you find that it only crashes in your project, and not in the approach demo, please send me your project and let me know how to crash it.

Thanks,
Rim

Dt_hughes

Post by Dt_hughes » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:00 pm

Rim,

I've got a couple of issues here that I have noted;

1. Duplication

I've got an 8 bar loop of approximately 20 different tracks that I wanted to duplicate across about 7 mins so I can edit this. I have pressed select all, then duplicate. It doesn't matter whether the snap mode is on and whether the timeline is bars and beats or mins and secs.

The loop is then duplicated 3 times, at bar 57, 78 and 91. Also it doesnt snap to the grid either.This happens consistently in my project but not in the approach track. I have also tried to copy and paste the loop but this just doesn't function.

The only way I can duplicate is by selecting parts track by track, which is very time consuming.

2. Crash after loading project

I tried loading back into my project from the approach and it crashed straight away, then loaded successfully when the programme restarted.

It seems that these issues could be related to my project.. I have audio pasted all parts from nanostudio and rebirth so was wondering if the bugs could be related to audio copy and paste? I'm more than happy to send you my project - how should I do this?

Thanks

Tom

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:57 am

Tom,

Sending me the project is the best way to do it, as these issues seem to be happening there. Dropbox is a great way to do it. My address is rim at drumagog (dot com). I recommend using iTunes to copy your project to your computer, then zipping it before sending it to me.

The second issue you mentioned could be memory related. iOS will automatically kill an app (often without warning) when memory gets too low. It's possible that there's simply not enough memory to load that project. I recommend checking if you have any background apps, and closing them when using Auria. Even something as simple as Safari or Mail can take a large amount of memory away from Auria. Keep in mind also that rebooting your iPad will not free up this memory. The only way to free the memory is by double-tapping on the home button and killing each app you see there.

Rim

Dt_hughes

Post by Dt_hughes » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Hi rim

After reading a post about odd crashes because a bug has corrupted a project, as my issues were related to my single project I tried importing my files to a new project and this seems to have resolved the crashing and duplication issues. I'm hopeful that this was the problem! I will let you know if I encounter any other issues..

Thanks

Tom

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:56 pm

Ok, thanks. I have fixed a number of bugs that could have lead to corrupt projects in rare cases. These will be in the next update, 1.04.

Rim