Vocal compression

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

timmyg
Expert

Vocal compression

Post by timmyg » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:11 am

Hey,

I'm about to start recording vocals in Auria and just need some advice on how to go about setting up some compression.
I want to be able to 'contain' the vocals somewhat while recording so they don't jump all over the place.

Is it possible to add compression pre-fader while recording the vocals, or can this only be done after the recording during the mixing process?

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this matter.

Thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Vocal compression

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:57 am

Here's a blog post we made about using compression:

http://blog.auriaapp.com

You can apply the compression either before of after recording, it's up to you. Doing it afterwards gives you more flexibility.

Rim

timmyg
Expert

Post by timmyg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:53 am

Thanks Rim that's great.

Is there a similar vocal compression guide anywhere as this is what I'm really after?
If not could you point me in the direction of one or will one be added to the blog in the future?

many thanks,
Tim

ps. I totally love the app...one thing would be handy though: The ability to move all automation points aon a track together.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:51 am

The compressors in Auria are similar to standard compressors used on other professional audio gear. I would suggest going a google search on vocal compression techniques for more general info on how to set up a compressor for vocals. Or, create a post here on the forum, and you may get some suggestions for our users.

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Best thing is to se t up a compressor setting and save the settinfg. Continue testing while making fine adjustments until you arrive at the compression setting that works best for your voice, style, mic and song then when you like what you heard back save that setting as MIC COMP VOC and delete the other test ones and that setting will always be there for you when you which to record again. This setting should be recallable when the NEW 1.04 Auria release which addresses the problem of presets not showing up after the plugin has been closed. I know this happens to me all the time so I have stopped doing this until the new update for Auria but in the list of Bug fixes the Dev team says that they have fixed this problem, so soon my friend, soon.

Hope this helps
PS try using minimal Compression at first so dial everything low then work up from there.
Use 1:5 2:1 ratios and a high threshhold so as to eliminate pumping. Basically if you hear pumping the compression is usually too high or too much so dial in to taste. This is why I use this technique.

Hope this helps
Cheers
~~_/)~~~

timmyg
Expert

Post by timmyg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:56 am

That's great. Thanks for the advice Anthony - much appreciated.