Data overload error

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

drock
Expert

Data overload error

Post by drock » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:27 pm

So I was recording live drums into Auria (version 1.03.1) using a 1818VSL while listening to only one track of acoustic guitar that had some standard EQ on it, that's it, and I kept getting a "data overload: use higher record buffer size" error at a certain point...maybe after a minute and a half of continuous recording. It would just stop recording, throw the message and process the audio. I didn't do anything different or push it....I mean, I had ONE track going, wasn't using Drumagog or anything. Luckily I was able to punch in and finish the rest of the recording but when I go back and listen, that point at which it bombed out the drums would be off then about half of a second, sounds bad. I'm on an iPad 3.
I'm not sure how to increase it or why it came up when since the CPU looked fine during the recording. Thanks, Rim!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Data overload error

Post by Rim » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:44 am

Was it CPU overload or DISK overload? It sounds like it might have been disk related. This can happen in certain cases, for example if something was going on in the background (like an automatic iCloud backup). What was your samplerate? Also, did you have AUX delay compensation turned on? I suggest disabling it unless you really need it.

Rim

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:10 am

I should've screen captured the message but I'm pretty sure it said disk overload. Nothing was going on in the background, no other app at all, no iCloud backup (since I wasn't plugged into a power source for the iPad...that only occurs overnight when I plug it in to charge and have it on wifi). Sample rate was 96 and I didn't have Aux delay turned on. It was all bare bones, if you will. If it happens again (I'm sure it will because I plan to record a ton of drums) I'll take tighter notes and screen capture the error, thanks again, Rim.

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:06 am

Ok, I started recording 8 tracks of drums again last night and got the same error message. Its a "Disk Overload" error like you said. I'm recording at 96 on an iPad 3. I wanted to record the drums all in one take just to test it but it bombed out after the first chorus. I don't think the iPad 3 can handle simultaneous 8 track recording for minutes at a time but I could be wrong.
Also, I noticed that I was getting a whole bunch of high peak "pops" over and over in multiple different tracks during this one song but I checked my levels multiple times and they were good. Now, I also just did a test of recording just drums in a completely different project set at 44 and it sounded GREAT! No pops even when I played louder. The levels are all the same between the two projects (0.0db) but only one bombs out. Now I will say that the one that bombs has an acoustic guitar scratch track to play along to and that I'm also using a nice pair of Klipsch earbuds directly out of the iPad.

The full song project where it bombed was 32 tracks and the totally separate drum test recording was only 8 tracks.

Aux delay was turned off, no other apps in the background at all and no wifi turned on. On both projects I clicked 'yes' for 'Disable effects while recording'. Maybe the iPad 4 is needed?

Thanks

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:23 am

drock wrote:Ok, I started recording 8 tracks of drums again last night and got the same error message. Its a "Disk Overload" error like you said. I'm recording at 96 on an iPad 3. I wanted to record the drums all in one take just to test it but it bombed out after the first chorus. I don't think the iPad 3 can handle simultaneous 8 track recording for minutes at a time but I could be wrong.
Also, I noticed that I was getting a whole bunch of high peak "pops" over and over in multiple different tracks during this one song but I checked my levels multiple times and they were good. Now, I also just did a test of recording just drums in a completely different project set at 44 and it sounded GREAT! No pops even when I played louder. The levels are all the same between the two projects (0.0db) but only one bombs out. Now I will say that the one that bombs has an acoustic guitar scratch track to play along to and that I'm also using a nice pair of Klipsch earbuds directly out of the iPad.

The full song project where it bombed was 32 tracks and the totally separate drum test recording was only 8 tracks.

Aux delay was turned off, no other apps in the background at all and no wifi turned on. On both projects I clicked 'yes' for 'Disable effects while recording'. Maybe the iPad 4 is needed?

Thanks
Have you tried at a lower sample rate like 44.1 kHz instead of 96khz which are very large files and require more processing.
You could try less mic's on the kit if your more selective on mic placement.
Just something to think about if the show must go on.
Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:39 am

Don't know what convertors you are using, but the chances of 96KHz sounding better than 44.1KHz in anything other than the best sounding room with the best sounding convertors is minimal.

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:08 am

In our tests, Auria has no trouble recording up to 24 tracks at once at any sample rate (even 96K), while playing back 24 tracks at the same time. We're recorded for hours without issues.

I just tried a test on my iPad3. I created a new project at 96K, with 24 tracks. I connected a multichannel interface (in my case, a Focusrite 18i6), and I recorded 8 tracks at once for 10 minutes. My Max disk meter never reached higher than 61%.
Next, on the same project, I recorded another 8 tracks at once for 10 minutes. The disk meter reached 24% max.

I wonder if there's something unique with your project. Do you have any edits on that project (for example, fade ins, fade outs, crossfades)?

If you don't mind testing something, it would be interesting to see what numbers you get by repeating the same test I did above. Just set your CPU meter to CPU MAX and DISK MAX.

By the way, I used the default record buffer size, which is 256 samples. Please check that yours is set the same way (in the settings).

Also, check that you're using the latest version of Auria. This is also listed at the bottom of your settings page.

Thanks,
Rim

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Ok, I've been testing it and its still not working. This is so frustrating. It's hard to explain the issues since they're so random and unexplainable.

I have the latest version of Auria, 1.04. I'm using the default buffer size too, 256. I have no edits (fade in, fade outs, crossfade).

I started a new project exactly like you described the problems I get now are
1. If I don't use earbuds connected through the headphone jack on the iPad , then all the drum recordings come out sounding like complete distortion. Like a robot on meth.

Or

2. If I do use earbuds, the drums will actually record but maybe for a few minutes and then cause that "data overload". Now, I watched the CPU max and DISK max and the disk will go from 7% to 30-something% out of nowhere...and then eventually up to 60-something then all thr way up to 98 or so. Again, no effects, no other instrument tracks, no fades, no special settings, nothing...just 8 tracks of dry drums.

So, at this point, I feel that I have a significant hardware issue. I've even swapped out my USB hub too just to try. But thr problem is, I don't know if its thr 1818 OR my iPad ...and it's expensive to find out. I'd be super angry if I get another iPad then come home only to find its the presonus or vice versa.

Also, I've noticed that when I arm all 8 tracks for recording, it's like the meters get real slow...the really lag behind and track 7 will have all this activity but I'm sitting there not making a sound. It's like they stutter and are very slow to react.. Same with the blinking red arm buttons, they will lag if you watch them. It's crazy.

I think this has always been a problem it's just never come out until I try recoding 8 track drums simultaneously.

Rim, since this is all so crazy, I need to Dropbox you some files to show you what's actually happening. What's your email?

I know this sounds ridiculous since it hasn't come up in testing nor anyone here has had the problems that I have (story of my life) but thanks for the help so far and the willingness to help in the future.

At this point I need to know - do I replace the iPad or the 1818 interface?

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Forgot to mention too that when I have the Transport Options set to Time Format: Min:Sec and then arm the tracks and then start recording, if I watch that timer, the milliseconds will slow way down almost to seconds and the speed right back up to where they should be and then slow way down...and then speed backup over and over. Also, I can tell the position marker (that long vertical line that we move around), that will lag too...It has something to do with the timing of it all. No wonder I'm getting a disk error? I dunno....a bad disk in the iPad? Anyways, thanks again.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:15 am

Sending me a project won't help in this case, because I assume you're able to reproduce this using a new project, right?

The things you observed, like the transport counter and meters slowing down slightly while recording is normal. Also, the way you're seeing the disk usage peak is normal as well. On an iPad, the flash memory system does it's best to cache the disk activity so it's smooth, but at certain times, you'll see a large peak. In my tests, these peaks stay under 60-70%, even with 96K sample rates.

I forgot to ask about your iOS version. Is it 6.x? or 5.x?

It's really hard to tell what the problem might be, but I doubt it's your iPad. I would suspect the USB hub, since so many people have had issues with certain hubs.

Is your hub powered or unpowered?

Perhaps someone here can recommend the type of hub they are using. I use an old hub here that's no longer available...

Rim

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:54 am

Yeah, I tried this in a whole new project to duplicate it.

So it can be normal to get 98% disk peak? I also noticed that it hit 126% and then threw the disk overload message. I just wonder why I'm getting that error yet you're not...
I can't be the only one recording 8 tracks of drums in 96 on an iPad 3, can I?

Its running 6.0.1

I'm only using powered usb hubs, trying to use ones with the least amount of ports since I only need one (and maybe they have better power consistency?). I've swapped out the USB hub just to narrow that down. At first I was using a Mobil-It 7 port one (http://www.amazon.com/Ativa-Mobil-It-De ... B008SXBU5K) and then switched to a D-Link 7 port hub (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008 ... 03_s00_i01), all powered. I'm getting this with both.

Also, I've noticed that my wav files are smaller in 96 than 44.1 with all the same volume settings and record level. Normal??

So I'd love for this to be a usb hub problem only. So, yeah, if other users could say what hubs they're using with the PreSonus 1818VSL, that would help. (unless theres been a post already that covers what hubs work well and which dont') Or maybe I'll start a new post with hub suggestions.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:22 am

No, 98% and 126% are definitely not normal, but it's normal to see "jumps" in the disk usage all of a sudden. That's just how the flash memory system on iPad works. It'll sit at 3% for a few minutes, then jump to 60%. That's normal, but I've never seen peaks that large. I really don't know why you're seeing higher peaks.

Your wav files at 96k should be much larger than with 44.1. It's unlikely this is related to the issue you're having. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Are they both stereo or both mono files? Are they both recordings of the same amount of time?

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:24 am

I thought of another possibility - is your iPad's drive space almost full? It's possible that the flash system is taking longer to process the data if your drive is nearly full. Mine is usually pretty empty.

Rim

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:02 am

Rim wrote:No, 98% and 126% are definitely not normal, but it's normal to see "jumps" in the disk usage all of a sudden. That's just how the flash memory system on iPad works. It'll sit at 3% for a few minutes, then jump to 60%. That's normal, but I've never seen peaks that large. I really don't know why you're seeing higher peaks.

Your wav files at 96k should be much larger than with 44.1. It's unlikely this is related to the issue you're having. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Are they both stereo or both mono files? Are they both recordings of the same amount of time?

Rim
The tracks are all mono and they're pretty much the same time. I mean, this issue is not a big deal, really...I was just curious.
Rim wrote:I thought of another possibility - is your iPad's drive space almost full? It's possible that the flash system is taking longer to process the data if your drive is nearly full. Mine is usually pretty empty.

Rim

Well, its a 32GB iPad and I have 8GB free. Auria is taking 11GB so far.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:15 am

I'm not sure if that's the issue here, but it might be useful to try and free up some space, and try it again. You can use iTunes file sharing to copy projects off your iPad.

Rim