Auria and sequencing apps

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Bald Steve

Auria and sequencing apps

Post by Bald Steve » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:44 am

Hello all - I'm new to the board and Auria (downloaded it a new nights ago - insane) and have some quick questions if anyone could be nice enough to help. My wife was cool enough to snag an Alesis IO (hasn't arrived yet) dock for me to do on-the-go recording, as I'm always out on gigs or sessions and have a lot of downtime away from my home studio. I'm a professional bassist and am very familiar with Pro Tool and Logic recording and mixing, so please feel free to speak the language.

1. I'm heavily into blending live instruments with electronic beats, loops, synth patches. Does anyone here have experience with using apps like the Korg iMS-20, iELECTRIBE, Animoog, ReBirth, etc. in concert with Auria? Any tips? I assume you would compose in the sequencers, export tracks separately, import into an Auria session with the same BPM then add live analog instruments over the top? Is that the best way to do it?

2. MIDI - I should do all virtual syth stuff (like Animoog) in GB and export as well, yes? I know the IO Dock has a USB MIDI connector, but it won't be functional in Auria until MIDI is implemented, right?

3. Does Auria recognize 3rd party plug-ins, like the PocketGK for example?

Thank in advance!

boone51
Expert

Re: Auria and sequencing apps

Post by boone51 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi Seve,

I'll do my best to answer your questions from my limited point of view.

1. I'm heavily into blending live instruments with electronic beats, loops, synth patches. Does anyone here have experience with using apps like the Korg iMS-20, iELECTRIBE, Animoog, ReBirth, etc. in concert with Auria? Any tips? I assume you would compose in the sequencers, export tracks separately, import into an Auria session with the same BPM then add live analog instruments over the top? Is that the best way to do it?

I use all of the apps you mentioned with the exception of Rebirth. This is basically the only way to do it right now. I start in something like ims-20 and then audio copy/paste it into Auria. Right now I'm also taking it out of Auria sometimes as a mixdown to work over in other guitar modeling apps I like or even ThumbJam. Then I'll bring back in just the new part and leave delete the mixdown. I'm on an iPad 2 so resources management is important.

2. MIDI - I should do all virtual syth stuff (like Animoog) in GB and export as well, yes? I know the IO Dock has a USB MIDI connector, but it won't be functional in Auria until MIDI is implemented, right?

I'm not completely clear on what you're trying to do, but it really doesn't matter. You nailed it. Midi isn't currently supported in Auria. If you want to do something with midi you're talking about an app outside of Auria.

3. Does Auria recognize 3rd party plug-ins, like the PocketGK for example?
Auria supports third party plugins but they have to be built into Auria so it's not quite like what you might be used to. There are several plugins already available as in-app purchases and more on the way.

Hope this helps.

rafael_ollero
Expert

Post by rafael_ollero » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Hello,
Copy/Paste is the easy way to work with Auria.
Of course you can record external instruments.
Apps:

DM1-Drum Machine: Can export separate tracks if you wan to use Drumagog.
BeatMaker 2: Midi, loop edit, and perfect for Time-Strech and Pitch-Sift samples.
Genome Midi Sequencer: Virtual Midi.
Magellan: Synth, 2 virtual synth running independly, Sequencer, Arpegiator, Chordmaker. (My Fav)
AudioShare: Copy/Paste stock.

This is some of my Favs..
I usually work with 12/16 apps.
Ciao.

Bald Steve

Post by Bald Steve » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks for the reply! I've been working A LOT in Addictive Drums, especially with some of the electronic stuff they recently put out as add-on packs, so I suppose I'll map beats and song forms in PT, save to DropBox as AAF or WAV then drop into Auria for live instruments.