Condensed regions, lost EVERYTHING

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ttaylorsaxe
Expert

Condensed regions, lost EVERYTHING

Post by ttaylorsaxe » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi,

I "condensed regions" on a project from the waveform view. It took longer than usual. If it matters, I had 4 markers set. I closed the app to finalize the action. When I reopened the app there was a crash (I sent report). I reopened the app and everything was in place but EVERY track except for one had no waveform, just a line, and they had no sound. If I go into the import audio page I can review each track but if I import them to a new track they show up with the same flat line and no sound. I condensed regions again, but the only thing that changed was EACH track doubled up in the load audio page. What can I do to get the waveforms back so I can work on my project? This is HOURS of work gone.

Thank you for your help,
T.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Condensed regions, lost EVERYTHING

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:18 am

There is indeed a bug in the condense regions function, which I'm working on fixing. To get your waveforms back, it's a matter of going into the project folder and deleting the Overview Data folder. The next time you load this project, Auria will rebuild all the waveforms for you. To delete this folder, you'll need to use a program like iExplorer, or export the file onto your computer, do the delete, then import it again using iTunes File Sharing.

Rim

ttaylorsaxe
Expert

Post by ttaylorsaxe » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:48 am

Hi,
Thanks for responding. I deleted the overview folder as you suggested (twice). The folder was empty both times. When Auria rebuilt the project there was no change. The 1st region is intact with the waveform and the other 20 regions are blank, but when they are highlighted it gives the time of each region. Each region is also still doubled, including regions that were previously deleted, in the project folder. What should my next step be?
Thank you again for the help,
T

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:51 am

Most likely your audio has been deleted and is lost, unfortunately. You can check this by going to the project folder and looking to see if your audio is still there. If it is, you can create a new project and import all the audio files into it. Otherwise, if they're gone there's nothing that can be done.

Rim

ttaylorsaxe
Expert

Post by ttaylorsaxe » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:00 am

Well, I imported 1 of the "ghost" tracks into a new project and the waveform reappeared intact with full audio. I imagine it'll be the same for the rest of the tracks. Perhaps you should post a disclaimer about the "Condense Regions" function so others won't have to go through the same time consuming ordeal.
Thanks again and I look forward to the next update,
T

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:24 am

I'm glad to hear you got your audio back. I think I know why your waveforms didn't rebuild. Did you delete the Overview Data folder, or simply delete it's contents? The only time Auria will rebuild the overview files is if the folder is missing (not just empty).

We tested Condense Regions many times, and have not been able to get it to cause problems. None of the beta testers had any issues either before we released it. There's obviously something wrong with it, but it must be something unique that's in the project before you condense regions that makes this bug appear. Like maybe frozen tracks, or duplicates of one region, etc.

Rim

ttaylorsaxe
Expert

Post by ttaylorsaxe » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:35 am

Ok. If it helps to track down the problem, the overview folder was empty when I deleted it and the only thing that was different from my other projects was that I had markers set at the time of condensing the regions.
I appreciate your dedication!
Best,
T

psykopili

Post by psykopili » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:38 am

Still this bug prevails. Once again, condensing regions deleted most of my audio files. Don't know why. This must be the third time this has happened. My fault for trusting Auria. Should always backup files before condensing or cleaning up. FML. A hard day's work gone.

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:45 pm

I feel for you. I know the pain of lost work. It makes me want to frisbee my iPad across the garden. Deep breaths and begin again. Ultimately, Auria is pretty fantastic.

psykopili

Post by psykopili » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:31 am

Yes, it is. One should always remember to backup regularly. The five minutes it takes to backup is worth not having to waste hours redoing stuff.

Still, this is a major bug that should get solved sooner rather than later.

King
Expert

Post by King » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:41 am

I think that feature should be disabled until fixed!

It did it (again) to me. Some audio files were left half sound and half flatlined.

I have projects to clean up, but..

And the only other way would be to leave the project you want to clean and do it from another project. But this would mean writing a lot of stuff down, eg which files.

Rim, one of the only ways to make the cleaning easier is when you introduce renaming of files, where the new name is in the folder too..

King

Added: didn't Auria use to be able to load mp3's or something?
Import/converting and playing m4a would be a great space saver. Specially when using a few reference tracks...
I also have many projects with guide vocals etc, which I know won't be used in the final cut. So these could be converted.
I do this with lots of files in Audioshare. Why not!

One of my reasons for using condense is to retrieve back some space. ^
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:28 am

condense regions has always been iffy so I stopped using it a long time ago. Perhaps the code need to be scrapped and re-written?

psykopili

Post by psykopili » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:26 am

I don't support disabling "Condense regions". With a 16Gb iPad, I'm constantly running out of space, so condensing now and again is a must. Just have to remember to backup before doing it.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:02 pm

I don't know of any current bugs related to condense regions. I fixed an issue back in 2012 with condense regions, but I don't know of anything new. I just created a test project and condensed regions. Everything worked as expected. If you can show me a specific example that causes you to loose audio I would be very interested! A step by step example showing me what to do to loose audio when I condense regions would be very helpful indeed.

Rim

King
Expert

Post by King » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:04 am

Ok cool all,

It works off n on.. (Off is too risky)... "lost EVERYTHING" is painfull!

To show an example would be a task I'll have to think about.

Another possible help would be, if we could have a full 'undo' after condensing??
All condensed files could go into a temp folder, until a specified time or action. Or we could empty this folder our selves, (or retrieve stuff).

King

Added: Recycle bin..
More added: Could be for individual projects, or global..
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________