Condensed regions, lost EVERYTHING

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Washboy
Expert

Re: Condensed regions, lost EVERYTHING

Post by Washboy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:29 am

I can't help but wonder if this (and some other 'random' issues) are restricted to situations where iPad resources, especially disk space, are low. In fact there are two references in this thread to needing Condense Regions because of running out of space.

I'd ask @Rim to confirm that the code confirms that new condensed file(s) have been created successfully before any old files are deleted/moved. Does iOS even allow for such checks? Perhaps the deleting of old files should remain a separate user-confirmed step ('Menu -> Settings -> General(tab) -> Clean Up Project')?

I also note references to the affected projects containing markers. Has that been eliminated as a factor too?

BTW, I'm fortunate in that I've never been bitten by this particular issue (fingers crossed :wink:).

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:01 am

I just condensed regions in three different projects to try to replicate the bug, but all did fine.

King
Expert

Post by King » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:39 am

Hey Guys,

Just let me clarify (in my case) I have loads of space on my iPad. When I say retrieve, I just mean not waste. :). Clean up as I go along.
Space is 1 thing I use it for, and tidy is the next.

King said: "One of my reasons for using condense is to retrieve back some space. ^" ...

I guess this ^ would sound like I'm running out, but no. For me, prevention is better than cure, if you know what I mean..

I'm gonna create a project (soon) to test the bug. Can't chance it on any current project and not always near my back up station..

King
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:11 am

King wrote:..."One of my reasons for using condense is to retrieve back some space. ^"...
Fair point. Don't forget though that, under some circumstances, Condense Regions can actually use more space, not less! So use with caution anyway :)

BTW, how much free space would you call "loads"?

King
Expert

Post by King » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Washboy wrote:
King wrote:..."One of my reasons for using condense is to retrieve back some space. ^"...
Fair point. Don't forget though that, under some circumstances, Condense Regions can actually use more space, not less! So use with caution anyway :)

BTW, how much free space would you call "loads"?
Hey Washboy,

When it first happened to me I had around 9-10GB, it's a little less now. (On a 64 gig). 8)

King

Ps; I knew that question was coming lol. :D
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

psykopili

Post by psykopili » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:15 pm

Rim, I believe the instances where I have lost audio during condensing have occured due to low disk space. Happened once when I tried to copy a project. That time I was able to retrieve the audio from a snapshot.