Sub-Group bug?...

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ajmack302
Expert

Sub-Group bug?...

Post by ajmack302 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:42 am

Hey there,

I've found that when using inserts on subgroup channel strips that I can't then remove them or edit them, everything else is operational (mute/solo, polarity etc)
Is this a new bug or am I missing an obvious solution?

Thanks in advance

Aaron

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Sub-Group bug?...

Post by Rim » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:01 am

When you say you can't remove them, so you mean you can't unload a plug-in you inserted on a subgroup channel? I haven't heard of that.

Rim

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:16 am

Exactly that. It's happened on 2 different projects, I'll describe as best as I can.

1. I record individual mic'ed drums (snare, kick, toms etc) to separate tracks
2. Process tracks with Drumagog plugin.
3. Freeze each track
4. Assign each drum track to subgroup 1
5. Use plugins on the subgroup channel strip (In this case MicroWarmer Drum Group setting and a Convolution Reverb)

When I then edit other tracks and come back to subgroup 1 channel strip both inserts are frozen in place.
In itself it's not a problem as the sound is what I want, but I'd like to be able to de-select these plugins to free up CPU

Hope this makes sense

Aaron

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:27 am

I'm trying to duplicate what you did, but I'm not seeing this behavior. Here's what I did. Please correct me if you're doing something different:

1. Create a new project with 2 tracks
2. Record a short clip on track 1
3. Set the Subgroup on track 1 to Sub 1
4. Add a plugin (StereoDelay) on track 1.
5. Add a plug-in on Subgroup 1 (ClassicVerb)
6. Freeze Track 1
7. Try to open the plugin on Subgroup 1. It opens fine
8. Try to delete the plugin on Subgroup 1. It deletes fine.

Of course, once a track is frozen, you can't change the plugin or delete it on the frozen track, but you're talking about the subgroup track, right?

What am I doing different?

Rim

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:09 am

Yes, the problem is solely with the channel strip in the subgroup. Not only can I not remove the 2 plugins currently inserted but the 2 remaining inserts don't open.
The main difference between what you've done and what I've got going on seems to be the use of Drumagog, in both projects where this behaviour has happened the Drumagog plugin seems to be the link.

Thanks for looking into this so quickly.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:34 am

Is this part of what ajmack302 said significant?:
When I then edit other tracks and come back to subgroup 1 channel strip
Just a thought.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:12 am

I tried using the Drumagog plugin, and I still don't see this problem here. When you say "I edit other tracks then come back to Subgroup 1", what do you mean by edit exactly?

If possible, could you give me very exact steps, so I can duplicate this? For example:

1. Press the Fx button at the top of Track 1.
2. Select a new plugin (Drumagog).

Rim

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:40 am

Hey Rim,
Can't remember the exact way I did it but it would be along the lines of :
1.Trimmed off any unwanted areas of the regions on each drum track
2. Soloed each track individually and added a Drumagog file to each relevant track (kick, snare, hi tom, floor tom)
3. Froze each track
4. Assigned the 4 tracks to subgroup 1
5. Used PSP MicroWarmer and Convolution reverb on subgroup channel strip

I then maybe edited/trimmed a guitar or vocal track and when I returned to subgroup 1 the inserts were unable to be removed.

Not sure if this is a better explanation!!

I tried to replicate with another subgroup using guitar tracks and PSP MicroWarmer in the subgroup and everything works fine.

In my case it seems that Drumagog and the subgroup channelstrip don't get on very well.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:54 am

Thanks. It seems to be working perfectly here. I must be doing it slightly differently than you. If you find this happening again, let me know exactly what you did (or make a video). This will really help. Duplicating an issue takes a lot of steps. What would help would be very simple steps detailing exactly what you did to make it happen. What I mean by simple step are things like "pressed the Mix button", held down my finger on the first region until it turned red". Things like that. Without this kind of granularity, it's hopeless to try to duplicate it here in exactly the same way you did it. Sometimes these bugs only appear if you do things exactly the same way. No problem if you don't have time for this kind of thing, I totally understand. I just wanted to point out that that's what it takes to find these bugs sometimes.

Thanks,
Rim

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:48 pm

I appreciate that these things are hard to translate without actually having the project in front of you.

The issue itself has no effect on the song, and I've found the Drumagog plugin to be a real revelation, I will try in my next tracks to monitor if and when this behaviour happens again.

Thanks for looking into it.

Aaron