Auria and new iPads

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Auria and new iPads

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:18 pm

We just received an iPad mini and an iPad 4 for testing, and I wanted to report that Auria runs great on both new iPads.

Here's what we found:

- The new lightning to USB Camera Adapter cable works perfectly, allowing USB audio devices to be connected with no issues.
- The iPad 4 has more than twice the amount of CPU power available for Auria's use (for example, the Approach demo song showed 21% CPU vs 52% on an iPad 3).
- The iPad 4's graphics engine is a lot faster than previous iPads. The edit screen in Auria is MUCH more responsive, even when displaying all 24 tracks at once.
- The iPad mini was very useable, even with the smaller screen size. Smaller buttons could be an issue for very large hands, but we had no issues pressing any of them.

Rim

bluesnoz

Re: Auria and new iPads

Post by bluesnoz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks Rim, good news about the lightning adapter. I was fairly sure about getting an ipad 4 but early reviews suggest the mini is a very nice size.... especially if Auria use is only 5% and ebooks are rather popular in the family. Glad to hear Auria is useable on the mini though.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:44 pm

I too have been enjoying the new iPad and Auria. Things move more seamlessly and the user response has more than doubled. The rendering times as much as 4x the iPad 3 on all my tests. The same if your rendering video. A must have upDate for Auria. Lovin it.
Cheers. ~~_/)~~~

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Seriously thinking of selling my ipad 3 and upgrading to the new one
But how would you connect an apogee jam or interface ,is there an adaptor or something to do this

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:57 pm

Jus wrote:Seriously thinking of selling my ipad 3 and upgrading to the new one
But how would you connect an apogee jam or interface ,is there an adaptor or something to do this
Yes there is an adapter priced at $29 called the lightning to 30pin connector allowing you to use all your older 30 pin devices. Such s the Apogee Jam Apogee Mic ect. So no worries. If you want to know just how much faster the 4 th gen is, I rendered a 4 min video in pinacle studio for iPad and while the iPad 3 rendered 1 the iPad 4 rendered 5 and fran a huge filter effect at the end as well. In other words I finished the project in 20 mins while the iPad 3 was still on the first render. Even faster than my iMac running Final Cut Pro or Logic Audio. I sold my iPad 3 for $400 and threw in the camera connection kit as I didnt need it with the newere iPad. I think this is my new iPad for awhile. I hope or at least more than 6 months. Lol
Cheers
~~_/)~~~

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:15 pm

Cool thanks for getting back 8)
Cheers

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:39 am

Jus wrote:Seriously thinking of selling my ipad 3 and upgrading to the new one
Why not wait another 5 months until a new one comes along? You'd be only disgruntled if you make the switch now.

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:28 am

So would there be an easy way to transfer all existing Auria files from ones iPad 3 to a new iPad 4?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Sure, if you use iCloud, this is done automatically when you restore your apps onto the new iPad. Otherwise, you can use iTunes File Sharing to copy all the projects from the old iPad onto your computer, then back onto your new iPad.

Rim

Huntmusic

Post by Huntmusic » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:04 pm

Does the Auria DAW for iPad work withe the Akesis io mix 4 channel recording dock for iPad?

Thanks~ Ken

ldavis3663

Post by ldavis3663 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:02 am

If referring to Alesis io4, yes. 4-16bit...2-24bit

Lynn Fuston
Expert

Post by Lynn Fuston » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:40 am

Rim wrote:Sure, if you use iCloud, this is done automatically when you restore your apps onto the new iPad. Otherwise, you can use iTunes File Sharing to copy all the projects from the old iPad onto your computer, then back onto your new iPad.

Rim
Be aware that the new iPad 4 requires iTunes 10.7 to connect to your computer and back up or restore data.

fredley

Post by fredley » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:29 pm

I just received my ipad mini. Our local store didn't have the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter cable so I had to get the 30-pin camera connection kit and a lightning to 30-pin adapter cable. When I plug in to my Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, I get the message "Cannot Use Device" "The connected USB device requires too much power." (Yes, the power for the interface is plugged in.) This is $70 worth of cable. Do you suppose if I wait for the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter cable that my issue will go away?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:16 am

Have you upgraded your Focusrite to the latest firmware? Most USB audio interfaces require a powered USB hub to use with an iPad. Focusrite is one of the exceptions right now, but only if you use their latest firmware.

Rim

fredley

Post by fredley » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:54 am

I was pretty sure I updated when I purchased the Scarlett two weeks ago - but I'll double-check when I get home tonight. (Don't know if it matters, but I am using it successfully with Studio One on my Mac.)