Auria and new iPads

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

fredley

Re: Auria and new iPads

Post by fredley » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:01 am

I just found some additional instructions for iPad on the focusrite website. We'll try things tonight.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:02 am

Only iPads are affected by this issue. Macs can use USB devices without a hub, but iPads almost always need a hub. We've asked several manufacturers to fix this and Focusrite has been the only one who actually did it (but you need their latest firmware).

Rim

fredley

Post by fredley » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:48 pm

Focusrite has added an iPad mapping download to their site. You download the file, open it in the Scarlett Mix Control and save it to the Scarlett interface. Now everything seems to be working!

Banyon

Post by Banyon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:50 pm

I just had the same problem.
I went to buy the 8i6, which they didnt have, so I went ahead and bought the Alesis IODock, cuz it looked pretty cool and didnt cost an arm and a leg.
But after getting it home I belatedly remembered that the dock sizes are different. I have an adapter, and it worked, but it stuck out awkwardly and just left a taste of not quite good enough in my mouth.
So I exchanged the Alesis for the 18i6, which is overkill for me, I'll never come anywhere near using all those inputs, and it was another hundred bucks I was hoping not to spend. But I said at least I know it works, Ive seen people on the Forum say so.
So I get hom ena dplug it all up and the first thing I run into is the "This Aint Gonna Work Cuz You Need More Power" error.
So a little Forum probing led me to believe my firmware might need need updating.
Did that, did the mapping thing, and it works like a charm.
Whew!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Yep, the Alesis iODock is made for older iPads, with the 30-pin connector. If you have a newer iPad it won't fit.

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:20 pm

fredley wrote:I just received my ipad mini. Our local store didn't have the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter cable so I had to get the 30-pin camera connection kit and a lightning to 30-pin adapter cable. When I plug in to my Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, I get the message "Cannot Use Device" "The connected USB device requires too much power." (Yes, the power for the interface is plugged in.) This is $70 worth of cable. Do you suppose if I wait for the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter cable that my issue will go away?
Yes I checked this out before I purchased my new iPad 4 and Apple has made the lightning to usb camera connection NOT able to be connected via the 30 pin lightning adapter. It can only be used by items that connected directly to the 30 pin plug from the start anything that needed the CCK now needs the new cable. So if you own an Apogee Jam than no problem just use the adapter and it will respond fine but if you own a Focusrite 2i2 or any device that needed the CCK than you must buy the new one. Hope this helps. Cheers
~~_/)~~~

luiscortex

Post by luiscortex » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:31 pm

Hello, anybody have test it with the Lexicon Interface?
Its is working fine?

tks!

anton06
Expert

Post by anton06 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi Rim, I wanted to know what you think about focusrite with an iPad. Would you advice me to get it to make my voices records directly into the iPad? Is the quality good enough or would you advice me something better to get a pro result? Thanks for your reply.
Take care.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Sure, depending on what you want to do, the 2i2 might be a good way to start. It's got two mic inputs and good sound quality.

Rim

Lynn Fuston
Expert

Post by Lynn Fuston » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:43 am

I recently spotted a Scarlett 18i6 on Craigslist for $185.
18 in, 6 out, two mic pres. That's a great price on a very useable interface that works very well with the iPad 4.
Even at list ($299), I would recommend it.t

moreblue

Post by moreblue » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:59 pm

- The iPad mini was very useable, even with the smaller screen size. Smaller buttons could be an issue for very large hands, but we had no issues pressing any of them.
Thanks- but can you give more details?

How many tracks on the mini? Minimum memory on the mini?
How much of a performance hit on the mini vs. other iPads?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:42 am

The iPad mini is identical in every way to the iPad 2, except with a smaller screen. So, 48 tracks are supported in Auria. Memory is 512MB. After using it for a while, my opinion is that it's certainly useable but if given a choice, I would prefer the larger screen. I don't have to concentrate as hard to make sure I'm touching the right place. But it's certainly useable.

Rim

WillWest

Post by WillWest » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:27 am

Following on from a previous point, I just received my ipad 4. I bought the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter cable but when I plug in to my PreSonus 1818vsl, I get the message "Cannot Use Device" "The connected USB device requires too much power." I believe I have it all set up correctly but nothing. If you could go from the beginning on what I shoudl be doing, I would be eternally grateful as I'm growing frustrated.

I am running from presonus to hub then hub to lighting connector.

Please help.

Will.

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:34 am

I had the same message pop up after my ipad2 and Presonus 1818 had been working just fine for months, after an initial panic I switched off the Presonus, closed down Auria, removed the USB cables from the CCK and 1818 and swapped them around, switched back on, booted up Auria, job done.

Sounds stupid, but it worked for me. (Obviously I have no experience with the lightning connector as I'm running an ipad2)

Good luck

Aaron

WillWest

Post by WillWest » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:44 am

No luck. If I plug the hub into my Acer notebook, it will charge my iPhone so I know it works. I am completely lost and feeling like I've wasted the best part of £1000.

What a mission.