Newbie. Recording question.

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Joe Nerve

Newbie. Recording question.

Post by Joe Nerve » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi. I have Auria for about a week now, and I'm loving it. Fairly intuitive and easy to work with.

I'm new to anything Apple based and have a question that I'm sure (or hope) is an easy one. I've successfuly recorded some bass and drum tracks, but hit a wall with guitar tracks. How do I use the amp models in Garage Band, or AmpKit (Peavey), in Auria? I can't seem to figure anyway to record a processed guitar directly, only clean guitar. Help is appreciated. Don't want to mic any amps. Don't even own any guitar amps actually. Thanks.

mtingle
Expert

Re: Newbie. Recording question.

Post by mtingle » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:30 pm

The easiest way would be to purchase the THM plugin from the Auria store (in the main menu). Quite good too from some of the reviews.

Joe Nerve

Post by Joe Nerve » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:41 pm

And what would be the next easiset way without having to make any additional purchases. :) I've been dropping a lot of money on this new purchase (the iPad) and need to start being very frugal.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:45 pm

At the moment you can't record audio originating in another app., so you can't use Auria to record your output from, say, GarageBand. However, depending on your preferred workflow, you might try the following:

1. Close all apps.
2. Plug in your guitar interface or mic.
3. Start GarageBand and get it working with your guitar in whichever way suits you.
4. Start Auria and load your project.
5. Configure Auria for Background Audio (see Settings page)
6. Set loop points in Auria for the section you plan to record guitar for and set the loop playing.
7. Switch back to GB. You should still hear Auria playing your backing tracks.
8. Record your guitar take in GB.
9. Solo whichever GB track you wish to get into Auria, go to My Songs -> Edit -> Select your song -> Export -> Share Song Via Email, then follow the prompts to mail the mixdown to an email account you can access with your iPad's Mail app.

At present Auria can't import .m4a files so you'll need an app to convert the .m4a email attachment to the audio clipboard. I use Hokusai Audio Editor (plus the Tools Pack in-app purchase or the Complete Pro Pack). AudioShare is another option, if you don't need the bells and whistles of Hokusai.

Whichever of those apps you use, the principle of getting the .m4a attachment into Auria is very similar. Read this thread for some details http://d4.drumagog.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9596

Apologies if you need to purchase yet another app. It's far from ideal but it should work (caveat: I don't know if it works with IOS6).

Joe Nerve

Post by Joe Nerve » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:01 pm

Washboy wrote:At the moment you can't record audio originating in another app., so you can't use Auria to record your output from, say, GarageBand. However, depending on your preferred workflow, you might try the following:

1. Close all apps.
3. Start GarageBand and get it working with your guitar in whichever way suits you.
6. Set loop points in Auria for the section you plan to record guitar for and set the loop playing.
9. Solo whichever GB track you wish to get into Auria, go to My Songs -> Edit -> Select your song -> Export -> Share Song Via Email, then follow the prompts to mail the mixdown to an email account you can access with your iPad's Mail app.
I surrender. Going with the easiest way. :/ Thanks though.

Joe Nerve

Post by Joe Nerve » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:06 pm

OK. I bought the plug in. Looks like this is going to take a little time to figure out. Not sure what's up with the sideways menus just yet, but know there was another thread regarding that. I'll probably be back soon with more questions.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:50 pm

The sideways menu is an issue that popped up under iOS6, and the author of the plugin, OverLoud is working to fix the problem. As a solution, just turn your iPad sideways (portrait mode).

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:24 pm

Joe Nerve wrote:
Washboy wrote:At the moment you can't record audio originating in another app., so you can't use Auria to record your output from, say, GarageBand. However, depending on your preferred workflow, you might try the following:

1. Close all apps.
I surrender. Going with the easiest way. :/ Thanks though.
~~_/)~~~You can also mixdown the tracks in Auria and make sure you select ADD NEW TRACK on the mixdown. When the mixed track appears as a new track in Auria simply highlifgt that track and under edit in Auria select Audio Copy and the mix will now be in the audio clipboard. Open Garageband, choose a mic as the instrument, touch the track area and you will see PASTE, tap and the mix from Auria will be there and you may now record your guitars. Don't forget to set the song tempo and Key in garageband and the length of the song to ANY. cheers. You can also drop the mix into garageband using iTunes and it's file exchange. Hope this helps. Cheers.