Timeline Ruler & Gridlines granularity.

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Washboy
Expert

Timeline Ruler & Gridlines granularity.

Post by Washboy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:34 am

I don't think this is a bug and I'm not requesting a new feature but I'm having difficulty understanding the logic behind the Timeline Ruler divisions and gridlines granularity on the Edit Window.

I find it counter-intuitive when using 'Min:Sec' and 'Samples' time formats (which are base-10 in nature) to see base-4 granularity in their measurement, i.e. 4 gridlines per timeline subdivision instead of say 5 - and timeline subdivisions with unhelpful values.

I've no experience using SMPTE but I suspect granularity is quite complex, involving different number bases, depending on the zoom level.

'Bars:Beats' seems to work intuitively but would benefit from finer granularity at higher zoom levels.

So what is the design logic behind the 'Min:Sec' and 'Samples' timeline granularity?

mtingle
Expert

Re: Timeline Ruler & Gridlines granularity.

Post by mtingle » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:15 am

just to add the the min/sec lines debate, it would seem logical to have lines on the whole numbers of seconds and then halves etc. they seem to be random at the moment and I currently just ignore them.

(am I just repeating what the original poster said?)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:59 am

Yes, this is something I want to improve. The divisions are arbitrary right now (I just divide the space in between major divisions into four). I will improve this for sure.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:23 am

Well, since the 'snap' slector offers granularity of 1.0 / 0.1 / 0.01 / 0.001 seconds, I'd expect the gridlines to correspond to that somehow (depending on zoom level). I think in terms of milliseconds and not quarter seconds or sixty-fourths of a second. Maybe I'm an oddball ;)

But my main issue is the major divisions, shown on the timeline ruler. Try creating a blank project, with no tracks even, using defaults (BPM=120, 4/4 time). Select 'Min:Sec' time values and then look at the timeline ruler divisions. You'll see 0:00.000 / 0:07.207 / 0:14.414, etc., with 4 vertical gridlines between each division (on an iPad3, at least). How useful is that? It's useless to me :cry:

Oops! Sorry, Rim, you posted while I was drafting the above. I'm very glad to hear you plan to improve this aspect of the display. Please make contact, if you'd like any further input on the subject when the time comes :)

Of course, please don't take these observations, comments and criticisms as negatives. Auria is a tour de force, of which you deserve to be proud. We simply want to help you make it even better :D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:05 am

I totally understand, and appreciate it!

Rim