1.03 update issue resolved.

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mtingle
Expert

Re: 1.03 update issue resolved.

Post by mtingle » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Rim wrote:mtingle, here's a short video of how the new non-snapping region move works for me:

I simply tap and hold on a region for more than a few seconds without moving, then I proceed to move. I don't have any snap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy4ureuJSjc

Rim
I made a little vid showing what I'm doing and what happens:

http://youtu.be/UfCSbMFBNMc

What am I doing wrong (if anything)?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:26 pm

That's very strange. There must be something in your project that's unique and causing this. Can you try loading the demo project (the approach), and try it on one of the tracks there? I used the HH track. It works fine here.

Thanks,
Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:53 pm

I see exactly the same behaviour as mtingle (and I'm not using the same project as him!). It's just the same using the HH track in "The Approach".

Is it perhaps that you're using IOS6 or an iPad2, or some such, Rim?

[iPad3 4G 64GB / 35GB free / IOS v5.1.1 (9B206)/ Auria v1.03 / Mobile data off / Bluetooth off / not jailbroken]

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:05 pm

yeah still the same with the approach.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Have you seen the video I posted? I wonder if I'm doing something differently?

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:13 pm

@Rim: Yes, I studied your video closely and repeatedly but couldn't see any difference between what you do and what I do. I tried waiting for a variety of seconds before attempting to move the region and also tried moving vertically and diagonally, as well as horizontally for the initial finger movement. It made no difference.

BTW, the seconds you wait before moving your finger; is that waiting until the region becomes framed in red or after it turns red? I've tried both ways. I have no problem getting the region to turn red but, having done so, I have to move my finger the distance between adjacent vertical grid lines (per time division) until the region releases and jumps to catch up with my finger. So, it's always jumping at least one grid line. In your video, there's no such jump but in mtingle's video, the jump's very evident.

In mtingle's video, he also shows that snap is turned off. it's the same for me.

Hope you can make sense of that description.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:38 am

The only thing I can think of is that the addition didn't make it into 1.03 and Rim is using 1.04+

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:00 am

I just experimented some more, and found the trick. It's important to keep your finger exactly horizontal when you start to move it. If it's even slightly diagonal, it will think you want to move to another track, and will initiate the snapping.

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:19 am

Can you explain why it worked for some and didn't for others? This is interesting.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:24 am

Rim wrote:I just experimented some more, and found the trick. It's important to keep your finger exactly horizontal when you start to move it. If it's even slightly diagonal, it will think you want to move to another track, and will initiate the snapping.

Rim
I've tried keeping this in mind and still cant get it to work in even for a single instance. nothing :?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:55 am

Another thing I've noticed that's very important. After you pause for a few seconds, then start moving, it's important to only move a very tiny amount. Don't do big moves. It takes a while for the editor to catch up to your movements, and when it does, you've already moved quite a big distance, so it looks like a jump, or snap. So:

- Put finger onto region and hold it without moving it
- Wait a few seconds (even after it turns red)
- Move your finger in a very straight horizontal line (use the waveform centerline as a guide). Make sure you move very slowly. I rock it back and forth a few pixels.

This works for me every time.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:59 am

By the way, I realize this is not ideal, and I'll keep improving this functionality so it's easier. It's a difficult thing to get right, because I need to balance the need to have a default "snap" when the editor detects that you want to move it another track (or simply select the region), and the ability to do precise nudges.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:05 am

ok, I really tried everything in that list on the default 'approach' project on many regions and not even a hint of it working, always having a jump. nothing like your vid which looks to be exactly what i'm after for precision editing movements.

ipad 2
16GB
iOS 5.1.1
auria 1.03
all default setting in auria
snap: off
time code: mins/secs

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:07 pm

would be very interested to know if anyone who has downloaded the new 1.03 update has managed to get the smooth initial moving of regions to work as in Rim's video.

Pointyhat
Expert

Post by Pointyhat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:10 pm

I do not have any issues, either with the update crashing or smoothly moving regions with snap turned off.

I noticed on the video posted where smooth movement isn't working, that the time line is set to Min/sec. I wonder if this is an issue with projects saved with a Min/sec time line in previous versions of Auria? When I switch my test
project from beats to min/sec timeline in transport options I can still move regions smoothly with snap turned off, but the original project was saved with a beats time line when I upgraded from 1.02 to 1.03

Ipad 3, iOS 6, auria 1.03