Updating!!!!

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Updating!!!!

Post by Rim » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:08 pm

As far as supporting the retina display. This was a deliberate decision on my part in order to squeeze the most performance out of the processor and RAM. Using retina would mean taking up 4x more RAM, and we didn't want to do that, as Auria already takes up a massive amount of RAM, and with retina we wouldn't have been able to support larger track counts. without memory issues.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:11 pm

When Auria crashes, it will come up with a box the next time you run it, asking to submit a crash report. Could you please fill out that crash report with a short description of what you were doing before it happened? it will help me figure out what's going on.

It's possible that if Auria was open in the background when the update is performed, iOS shuts it down deliberately, in order to perform the update. Maybe Auria is detecting that as a crash. Just a guess.

A few posts back, someone asked about the list of bugs that were fixed. Here's the sticky that talks about that:
http://d4.drumagog.com/phpbb2/viewtopic ... 979#p14979

Rim

xcouvy

Post by xcouvy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:19 pm

Ok for retina issue, I understand. But now back to the main problem, any chance of a quick update or painless solution that will make Auria work again ! please.

As Auria crash a secont after displaying the crash report submission it is not possible to do it. I gried rebooting the ipad and also closing the app in the multitasking but no luck

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:21 pm

I'd love to fix the problem if I could understand it, or duplicate it here. Please send a note in your crash report, so I can find your particular report, and see why it's crashing.

Rim

xcouvy

Post by xcouvy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:24 pm

I an sorry but It is not possible to send a crash report from Auria as it force close a secont after displaying the crash submision and I.ve tried many times to quickly press ok on it but it force close.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:28 pm

If it force closes, then it must be your iPad closing it deliberately. This usually happens because of memory. If your iPad thinks an app is taking too much memory it will close it. Are you certain that all your background apps are closed? Note: rebooting does NOT close your background apps. You must do both to really be sure everything is closed:

- Double click on the home button
- Tap and hold on the app icons in the list below until you see the X appear.
- Close all of them, INCLUDING AURIA.
- Reboot your iPad when done by holding down you power button for a few seconds.

Rim

Trueyorky
Expert

Post by Trueyorky » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:29 pm

Hi Rim, it goes without saying how disappointing this update is. We have endured a long slow wait and now find that Auria is still not in full working order. I appreciate your comment that beta testing didn't show these crashes but here's what I have experienced...

Using iPad 3. iOS 5
1) since the previous update Auria has shown a false crash on startup but has been running OK
2) 6th October new update - fantastic (I think) and immediately install
3) oh no! Auria crashes and will not even open. I have nothing else open or in memory
4) I admit defeat this is not going to work, backup my projects to iTunes and delete Auria
5) following a fresh install Auria now works but still shows the crash warning on startup. I did type in a message but it would not transmit a crash report

I now revert back to my already very thin patience and wait for this to be fixed.

Regards
Trueyorky

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:30 pm

Auria was not open in the background while updating. I've cleared all background apps and rebooted the iPad. The crash report box is most likely a left over bug from the prior version.

Yorky: thanks for mentioning backing up via iTunes, I had completely forgot about that. but still I'll think I'll wait and see if this can be fixed first tho.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:35 pm

sorry to hear about the crashes. Working fine here on iPads2, both iOS 5 and 6.

WIST doesn't seem to have been fixed. The slave app still starts earlier than Auria.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:39 pm

I am as disappointed as you to discover this. Auria's a complicated app, and I was under no illusion that this update was going to fix all the bugs. There's no doubt that there are still bugs out there. In fact, we already have a list going on the bug thread. Keep in mind Auria is brand new, and this is still v1.x. That said, I'm really surprised about these crashes, as we had almost 30 beta testers testing this update for over a month, and didn't have any crashing like this. Maybe it's related to iOS 6. I just don't know yet, as I don't have enough information.

The good thing about these types of crashes is they should be easy to find and fix, as it's something that seems to be happening to a few people very regularly. I suspect it might be an issue with loading the previous project. So can you please try this:

1. Force-close Auria
2. Using iTunes, copy all your projects off of Auria, and onto your computer
3. Delete the projects from Auria, using iTunes.
4. Start Auria, and see if it starts OK this time.

If it starts, OK, copy your projects back to Auria using iTunes, then try loading each one and see which one causes an issue. If you find one that won't load, please zip it and send it to me asap, so I can see what's going on.

Thanks,
Rim

xcouvy

Post by xcouvy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:39 pm

I.ve removed all the app from the multitasking (Apple could have made a switch to kill all them at once) rebooted the ipad but no luck. Also no audio devices are plugged into the ipad

Trueyorky
Expert

Post by Trueyorky » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:43 pm

..."Another question: Is your iPad inside a dock of some sort, or do you have any audio device (or headphones) plugged into it?"

No dock, no audio attached.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:46 pm

I didn't think there was a connection there, but I'm just brainstorming.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:48 pm

This must be related to a corrupt project, since it doesn't happen on any of my iPads here. Have you tried the suggestion I posted above?

Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Im gonna try the above, but it's sleepy time over here so if someone else hasn't done it I'll go trough it tomorrow.