am i really the only one?? (sluggish edit window)

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

instinctive
Expert

Re: am i really the only one?? (sluggish edit window)

Post by instinctive » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:43 am

I'm not an Auria developer so I can't really tell what they're doing. However, as many have already pointed out, other packages do have fast and zippy waveform drawing even with lots of waveforms.

As I've already stated in another thread, for me the most obvious way to go would be to pre-render each waveform entirely at a relatively high zoom level and store it as an OpenGL texture, and then draw it as a textured poly and just scale it. Only at extremely high zoom levels would it need to be drawn "by hand".

Obviously some way of signalling this "waveform texture cache" to be dirty is needed and would need calls in a lot of places... but... maybe I'm getting a bit too technical here :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:01 am

Hi guys, I completely agree that the editor page could use some optimizations, and this is very high on our list for sure. It's not as easy as it may seem, considering everything else Auria is doing in the background, but we're going to tackle this problem for sure. My priority has been to address all the bugs first, then work on optimizations. The editor speed and smoothness is important, but bugs can be a showstopper.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:42 am

to be able to zoom horizontally and vertically at the same time would be rather useful. not sure if its possible though.

Looking forward to some of those bug fixes

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:51 pm

We decided strongly against having horizontal and vertical being possible at the same time. After lots of testing, we found that it's distracting, since you seldom pinch in a straight line, and as a result, you end up moving the editor in a way not intended. Locking the movement in one axis makes for a lot more precise control.

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:53 am

Rim wrote:We decided strongly against having horizontal and vertical being possible at the same time. After lots of testing, we found that it's distracting, since you seldom pinch in a straight line, and as a result, you end up moving the editor in a way not intended. Locking the movement in one axis makes for a lot more precise control.

Rim
Couldn't you make this an option in the settings menu? "Allow diagonal zooming"

This way you could have the best of both worlds, and let the user decide which he actually prefers. Same goes for other things that could let you personalize Auria (or a DAW in general). Not every user works in the same way.

robdean
Expert

Post by robdean » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:32 am

I'm sure the team have worked hard to optimise the code - they have posted as much before - and I can't believe that refining it further will make a huge step change in the reponsiveness of the current UI.

However I do wonder if there might be some way to offer a more responsive variant of the UI for those whose style of work requires it.

What if there were a 'single track' mode: presenting the fader, aux sends and channel strip of just one track plus the corresponding alternative view of the waveform / control points for just that one track and some kind of simple selector to jump from track to track ( maybe a dropdown or a scrollable list). Presumably that would allow rendering resources to be concentrated on the track you are actually focussed on, allowing fast, fine adjustments, pans and zooms.

It could ideally also offer a few refinements such as allowing optional adjustment of a control point in just the horizontal or just vertical dimension. At present, if a volume change is perfectly placed but the final level needs tweaking (or vice versa) it's all too easy to mess up the good parameter whilst fixing the other. Ideally there might also be a large font 'parameter' display box reflecting the changes happening to the control semi-hidden under your finger!

Incidentally, when I 'live mix' in Auria I long for a '10 second pre-roll' button, so that every time I slightly miss a cue or ideal level I could instantly skip back for an immediate second run at it...
Last edited by robdean on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Latest iOS - iPad Air 2019 256Gb WiFi - Alesis iO4

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:57 am

robdean wrote:Ideally there might also be a large font 'parameter' display box reflecting the changes happening to the control semi-hidden under your finger!
Or some kind of magnifier, like when i'm typing words.

Dcramer
Expert

Post by Dcramer » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:11 pm

These are Greg ideas. While I love the look of Auria, it's zoom-able track screen and separate mixer, I miss the dedicated editor window of something like Meteor.
Even if Auria had a simple way to select a region and then zoom into it with editing buttons becoming available.
At the very leat a way to name regions and mute them would be nice.
That said Auria is still the best sounding and most powerful option for the iPad.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:57 am

well,time to give it a bump :wink:

i know you guys are working hard for bugfixing (and audiobus 8) ) and i realized a little improvement for the edit screen (thanks)but still the question:as i understand the waveform drawing is responsible for the sluggishness in the edit screen and theres a slider for the waveform zoom factor.Would it hard to implement that this slider sets the waveform simply to"off"if you pull it to the hard left side?I mean,the option is already there...just a LITTLE further :)

When i'm doing arrangements i usually don't need the waveform view but a smooth operation (yeah,i know.i'm repeating myself sorry^^)

Anyway,because of audiobus i'm thinking to purchase an iPad 4 but i just dont have the money right now.Oh well,first world problems...
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:12 am

That's a really great idea, and I'll implement this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:53 pm

whoopee,glad to read this.Thanks :)
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Already implemented, and it's much faster when the waveforms are disabled with the slider all the way to the left. Thanks for the suggestion.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:07 am

its simple ideas like this that really are very good. Another one would be to allow the 'highlight' tool to be used to copy/cut selection to clipboard, it's already built into Auria and fulfils a need (to select/manipulate multiple clips quickly and efficiently) which currently there is no simple way to do. I intuitively tried to do this to begin with thinking it the logical way.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:35 am

I don't understand exactly what you mean.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:40 am

Rim wrote:I don't understand exactly what you mean.

Rim

let's say you wanted to select a bunch of clips (say lots of small drum slices), what I tried to do initially was use the highlight tool to lasso all the clips and then went to the drop down edit menu and expected to see a 'copy', 'cut' or 'delete'.

The solution to easy multiple selection seems already built into Auria with no extra buttons.