Multiple mixes/non-destructive edits w/o duplicating audio

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

robdean
Expert

Multiple mixes/non-destructive edits w/o duplicating audio

Post by robdean » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:15 am

It is typical for workstation DAWs to allow saving any number of mixes / non-destructive edits without having to duplicate all of the audio data. Such a facility would be even more useful when working on the iPad due to the limited storage and limited upload bandwidth.

Easy edit decision list and mix versioning not only enables regular safety copies but also makes it very easy and quick to compare multiple variations of mixes and edits.

I realise that there is a challenge here in ensuring that subsequent destructive edits do not invalidate earlier mixes/EDLs, but many people may be like me and have a working style that typically involves many hours of mixing and nondestructive editing without any actual change to the source audio files. I personally prefer to save a safety waypoint every ten or fifteen minutes so that I have a choice of states to skip back to if I feel something is not working aesthetically or technically. The significant data here is of the order of kilobytes, and the adding hundreds of megabytes of duplicate audio data each time I want to save a waypoint or bookmark a possible alternative tweak quickly becomes frustratingly impractical.

Could the app track the project audio files and allow mix/edit versioning so long as they remain unchanged, otherwise prompting with the suggestion of saving out to a new copy of the project?
Latest iOS - iPad Air 2019 256Gb WiFi - Alesis iO4

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Multiple mixes/non-destructive edits w/o duplicating aud

Post by Rim » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:03 am

Yes, this is something that's on our wish list for a future version. I agree, it would be nice to have snapshots or waypoints, which didn't save the audio each time.

Rim

robdean
Expert

Re: Multiple mixes/non-destructive edits w/o duplicating aud

Post by robdean » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks Rim, that's great to know
Latest iOS - iPad Air 2019 256Gb WiFi - Alesis iO4