Invisible Drumkit

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

newbreednet
Expert

Invisible Drumkit

Post by newbreednet » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:07 am

Hi all,

Please can I ask for a little help regarding making an 'invisible drumkit' out of Auria, Drumagog, an interface and some mics.

The basic idea is:

1) setup four or five mics like in the video below
2) connect mics to a multichannel interface
3) assign each mic to its own channel in Auria
4) insert a Drumagog on each channel and set to live mode
5) play an invisible drumkit!

Here is a video of Wavemachine Labs doing this very thing using Drumagog for desktop computers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx2v4wFGNsQ

I've yet to hear of a real-world example of how well an iPad (3) can replicate this. I want to buy an audio interface and would buy a multi-channel if I knew that it definitely worked, but can't find this out unless someone else has already tried.

Many thanks to anyone who can offer any knowledge on this, or indeed to anyone who already has the sufficient gear and would be willing to try this out.

Kind regards,
Steve

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Invisible Drumkit

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:44 am

It's easy to accomplish this in Auria, and it can handle 5 or 6 instances with no issues on an iPad 3. I suggest using smaller gog samples (without rooms) for best results. We've tried it here, and it does work.

Rim

newbreednet
Expert

Post by newbreednet » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks Rim.

If I were to do as you suggest and use smaller gog files in order to achieve higher live track count, could I then use drumagog on the recorded tracks to replace them with more complicated gog sounds. Would I be able to keep velocity dynamics?

Sorry for my disbelief - I think I have a mental block about just how powerful an iPad and Auria really are together!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:02 am

Yes, that's right. You can replace with more complex gog files later, after you're finished recording. This way, you can always freeze or bounce tracks if you run into cpu limitations.

Rim

newbreednet
Expert

Post by newbreednet » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:09 pm

What about dynamics? Will Drumagog respond to quiet hits and loud hits during recording, even if on a limited gog file so as to get maximum track count. And will post-recording replacement still maintain the dynamics (if they were recorded in the first place.)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:26 am

Yes, absolutely. The dynamics are tracked accurately, no matter what gog file or mode you use Drumagog in. The main difference in choosing a simpler gog file, is that there may be fewer samples to spread around the dynamic levels. But all samples are played at the correct dynamic level regardless.

Rim