Can i import from garageband...?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

macmac62

Re: Can i import from garageband...?

Post by macmac62 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:04 am

Has enyone identified any quality issues in the converted tracks? After all, the GB files are sent as compressed m4a...

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm

@macmac62: Well, m4a is allegedly a lossless compression format (unlike mp3, which is lossy) so the quality is supposedly the same as if GB exported wav files.

macmac62

Post by macmac62 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Thanks, that would be cool... But... A lossless compression? Something must be lost if you have a much smaller file afterwards... But if the quality is good I dont care. I'll try it out...

Pointyhat
Expert

Post by Pointyhat » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:33 pm

macmac62 wrote:Thanks, that would be cool... But... A lossless compression? Something must be lost if you have a much smaller file afterwards... But if the quality is good I dont care. I'll try it out...
There is such a thing as loss less compression - if you get a run of bytes with the same value in a file (eg. Silence), it is more efficient to store a byte containing the repeated value and then one or more bytes telling you how many times that value is repeated than it is to store a run of identical bytes.

newbreednet
Expert

Post by newbreednet » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Pointyhat wrote:
macmac62 wrote:Thanks, that would be cool... But... A lossless compression? Something must be lost if you have a much smaller file afterwards... But if the quality is good I dont care. I'll try it out...
There is such a thing as loss less compression - if you get a run of bytes with the same value in a file (eg. Silence), it is more efficient to store a byte containing the repeated value and then one or more bytes telling you how many times that value is repeated than it is to store a run of identical bytes.
What a splendid explanation! Thanks. And in my experience, swapping out files from Garageband in email has been totally fine, quality-wise. Although, bring on AudioBus 8)

macmac62

Post by macmac62 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:50 am

Yes, thats a good explanation, thanks!

WillWest

Post by WillWest » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Following on from this, I have a little question for you all. I am exporting a drum track I made in Garageband on my iPhone into Auria and it's doing 2 annoying things:-

1 - It's exporting the file as a stereo track
2 - The volume is loud and so it constantly peaks.

Any ideas?

Thanks.