DAW that supports AAf format?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jimroy

DAW that supports AAf format?

Post by jimroy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi, new to the forum and Auria. Can you suggest a DAW that will enable me to work on tracks created in Auria. Sorry if this has been asked and answered before. Thanks.
Jim

Chris M
Expert

Re: DAW that supports AAf format?

Post by Chris M » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:57 pm

Hello,

Most major DAWs support some form of AAF import. ProTools, Logic, Nuendo, and Digital Performer all support AAF Import/Export.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

jimroy

Post by jimroy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks Chris. I have an older Sonar (2.1) that I'm not having any luck with. Not sure I want to upgrade that if they don't support AAF. More homework for me. ;-)

Jim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:54 am

I'm looking out for Presonus Studio One and apparantly it doesn't support aaf either, which is meh.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:39 am

We chose to go with AAF, because it's the most supported among DAWs (Pro Tools, Nuendo, Sonar, Logic, Digital Performer all support it). The only other popular format is OMF, but it's outdated, and there are a lot of compatibility problems. I'm not sure there's another format out there to support...

Rim

Tchase

Post by Tchase » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:38 pm

I've been a Cakewalk Sonar user for a few years and when Auria was released I found out they DON'T support AAF. I purchased Auria anyway (and love it) but notice Sonar listed as supporting AAF here. FYI - here's to hoping I am wrong though!

jasbart

Post by jasbart » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:26 pm

Purchased Auria yesterday, spent much of today digesting the manual. Love the eq! However I've come to the sad realization that in order to export AAF from Pro Tools 8.0.5 I need to purchase DigiTranslator. A cool $495. PT 9 and 10 come with Translator built in. Can anyone comment on this and hopefully tell me I'm mistaken?

Thanks, Jim
iPad 2, iOS 6.1.3, 16 gb
Pro Tools 8.0.5
OS X 10.7.5

wilfrago

Post by wilfrago » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Sorry, but you are right. You have to do that with Pro Tools 8.0.5. I'd prefer to upgrade to Pro Tools 10 instead of buying DigiTranslator.

jasbart

Post by jasbart » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:39 pm

I'm no expert, but I've used Pro Tools LE on practically a daily basis since a few months after its initial release. That's what, 14-15 years? And in that time I've never had occasion to export to AAF or OCF.

I'm very impressed with Auria. But one of its big selling points was the ability to import/export AAF to and from other DAWS. Pro Tools was often cited as one of those DAWS. I realize Wavemachine isn't responsible for Avid, but how much trouble would it have been to state that AAF exporting from Pro Tools is dependent on DigiTranslator?

Oh, and $500 for Translator vs $600 for Pro Tools 10 isn't a choice I want to make.

Jim
iPad 2, iOS 6.1.3, 16 gb
Pro Tools 8.0.5
OS X 10.7.5

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:34 am

As far as I know, only Pro Tools has support for AAF, not Pro Tools LE. I don't know if this is still true for the latest version of LE, but LE has traditionally not supported AAF. The last few versions of Pro Tools (starting with 7 I believe) did not require Digi Translator, as AAF support has been built in.

Rim

jasbart

Post by jasbart » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:54 am

Rim wrote:As far as I know, only Pro Tools has support for AAF, not Pro Tools LE. I don't know if this is still true for the latest version of LE, but LE has traditionally not supported AAF. The last few versions of Pro Tools (starting with 7 I believe) did not require Digi Translator, as AAF support has been built in.

Rim
You're partially right. The last two versions of Pro Tools don't require DigiTranslator, but those two versions were 9 and 10. Pro Tools 8 LE (the last version of LE) requires it, and it presently is sold in the Digi (Avid) store for $495. Ebay prices swing wildly from $495 down to around $70.

I suppose another way to export sessions from Pro Tools 8 LE into Auria is one track at a time into, say, Dropbox?

Thanks, Jim
iPad 2, iOS 6.1.3, 16 gb
Pro Tools 8.0.5
OS X 10.7.5

hotlipslawson
Expert

Post by hotlipslawson » Fri May 31, 2013 2:39 pm

Please help!! One of the most important reasons I purchased Auria was that it claimed to communicate/transfer files including edits with all major DAWs including ProTools & Ableton. Now I learn this may not be the case!?!? If it cannot be thru the AAF format, then what is the process? I am currently & primarily interested in loading a large Auria project (almost an hour recorded on 16 tracks) into Ableton.
hotlipslawson

Chris M
Expert

Post by Chris M » Fri May 31, 2013 2:44 pm

Hello,

Ableton does not support the AAF file format--your best bet is to export your project as individual WAV files and import them into Ableton. You can do this easily by bouncing 'stems' in the Auria mix down dialogue, which will bounce a full-length WAV file for each track.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:57 am

A partial list of DAW that do support AAF is:

Pro Tools
Logic
Nuendo
Sonar
Digital Performer

If anyone wants to add to the list, please do.

Rim

hotlipslawson
Expert

Post by hotlipslawson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:39 pm

I am having trouble re-loading whole projects into Auria, either with the "project" extension or AAF. Do I have to zip "projects" first and, if so, how do I do that? Projects saved as AAF seem to reload OK but many of the regions are gray (?) and will not not play any audio. The wave forms are there and a little speaker icon is included in each frayed region with an X. ???