Auria for Post: working with video

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

PostGuy

Auria for Post: working with video

Post by PostGuy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Hi there,

I knew it, i'm loving Auria!

I've just got it and I've just played with it for a while, but I think it could be an interesting tool for Post stuff. I'm planning doing some outdoors recordings in sync with video, but also it could be great to have a way to open an AAF anywhere (let's say the Picture Editor's room..).

Now The questions:

Is it possible to set a TimeCode Start? What happens when importing an AAF starting at 01:00:00:00 or 02:00:00:00? Does it Auria keep stuff on sync? Leaving a 1-2 hours blank at the begining of the session or what?

And something to add to the Wishlist:

I would love a Pref or something similar to the way Pro Tools behaves when you link Edit and Timeline Selection: that selecting a clip or creating a Selection on a track would move The playhead to That point... (pre-Roll needed)

Oh, and would be great to arm/disarm tracks on The Edit Window! (or on the Channel Strip)

That's it, gonna Play some more :)

Thanx for such a great Tool!

PD: Allow the FX button to show/hide the Channel Strip as a toggle would be nice too!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Auria for Post: working with video

Post by Rim » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:34 am

I'm glad you're enjoying Auria. There are two ways to control start times for video in Auria: When you import a video, you have the option of telling Auria which section of the video you want to import (start and end times). So if you tell it to import starting at 1 hour, and ending at two hours, 01:00:00:00 will correspond to 00:00:00:00 in Auria's timeline.

There's also a second option, and that's in the settings page. Here, you can set the smpte offset for your video. If you set this for 1 minute, Auria will roll the audio for one minute, then start the video at exactly one minute.

Great other suggestions, thanks.

Rim

PostGuy

Post by PostGuy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Thank you Rim, I understand that.

My question was what happens when the movie has a TimeCode on screen, and if there is a way to set Auria to match that TimeCode as the start of the session. I guess the workaround is the opposite, move the movie. Or just re-sync the session back in the DAW...

I tried to export an AAF from Pro Tools with TimeCode starting at 01:00:00:00 and see if Auria keeps that TC. I zipped the AAF and copied to Dropbox as well to iTunes folder, as I did with some movies, but Auria doesn't see those AAF. Is this something related to that TC thing or am I doing something wrong with the AAF?

Thanx again, I will do some more tests myself when I got the chance in order to answer my questions..

Let me say that again: what a great App! :)

(edit)

OK, after some successfully exporting AAF from Pro Tools to Auria, I see Auria's Timeline will always start at 00:00:00:00,
no matter if I import an AAF with different TC.

No big deal, but it would be a great improvement to read and keep TC: Sound Editors, Foley Mixers, ADR Staff, Musicians and so on could travel with a copy of the film in their pockets, record anything anywhere, and drop it into the Mix in sync!
I mean, in a single operation and with no offset issues (cause we do hate offset issues)

(still loving it)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:37 am

OK, I understand now. Currently, Auria will always start at 0:00:00:00. But it's something we could add in a future update. Sounds like it would make things easier.

Rim

PostGuy

Post by PostGuy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:08 pm

Rim wrote: it's something we could add in a future update. Sounds like it would make things easier.

Rim
Yes, it would be a very useful update. I'll cross my fingers.

Thank you.

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:47 am

Hi PostGuy. Are your AAF media files .aif or .wav? I believe an update coming will correct this, but at present .aif files are not imported with the AAF edit list. I've been converting client OMF to AAF as .wav and all works as expected.

Best,
Phil.

PostGuy

Post by PostGuy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanx Navpack,

AAF exchange works OK now!

Auria needs a Zip file contaning the AAF and the Audio Files in the same folder. My mistake was i made a Zip including the AAF, and a folder with the Audio Files (wrong). But as soon as I saw the way Auria exports its AAF, I got it.

lpearse

Post by lpearse » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:34 pm

Oh my how this App is awesome!

Aside from the oft-repeated requests for MIDI, I too would so love to be able to adjust time code offset in Auria so that I could record Foley and sfx and anything else right into the timeline on a SILENT device! This makes me so excited! The silent part means so much for recording sfx.

And I realize it's possiblly a question for Apple, but might it be possible to output surround sound via HDMI? I know that the iPad can pass-through 5.1, but perhaps not access it directly. But it would be so incredibly cool to be able to mix 5.1 from Auria....