Studio monitoring

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

garyshell
Expert

Studio monitoring

Post by garyshell » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:02 am

I am contemplating my first real studio project using Auria (after I sort out my choice of interface). But one thing is not clear to me, namely headphone monitoring for the artists.

What's the best way to provide multiple headphone mixes for them? As I understand it the iPad, under the current version of iOS can only output a single stereo (or I guess two mono) signal. If I use that for control room monitoring, how do I get a headphone mix or mixes as well?

Sign me confused,

Gary

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Studio monitoring

Post by Rim » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:10 am

As iOS 5 only supports only 2 channels of output, the only way I can think of for you to get two separate mixes out of Auria is to pan different things let and right, then split the headphone output into two cables, and send each one to a separate headphone amp. Not an elegant solution, but the only way to get two mixes out of an iPad at the moment.

Rim

garyshell
Expert

Re: Studio monitoring

Post by garyshell » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:36 am

I was afraid of that. Which also means I can't have a separate control room mix either. Good-bye soloing a channel to isolate something while tracking. I hope this issue goes away under iOS6. As this is a real show stopper for serious studio recording. If I try to tell a client they have the only one headphone mix and it is the same as my control room mix, they will force me to use another DAW.

The only alternative is to plug the mics into a mixer first to provide headphone mixes and then direct outs from each mix channel feeding the interface.

Thanks,
Gary