Bit rate

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

donratto
Expert

Bit rate

Post by donratto » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:58 am

Hi. I have read that the Alesis Io Dock only supports 16 bit input. Also that the Apple camera connection lead also only supports 16 bit. Does anyone know if this is the case? And, if so, is there any way to utilise Auria's 24 bit capability?

Many thanks.

DrApostropheX
Expert

Re: Bit rate

Post by DrApostropheX » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:50 am

My experience has been that when using the CCK with a compatible audio interface, you can use the bit depth of the interface, whether it's 16-bit or 24-bit (the CCK doesn't actually do any audio processing, it's just a dock connector-to-USB interface, so it doesn't care whether or not the device connceted to it does 16-bit or 24-bit audio -- it only cares if the driver is compatible or not). I have a 24-bit Edirol audio interface and with that I can record 24-bit audio into either Auria or MultitrackDAW. I have a bunch of 16-bit USB audio interfaces, too, and they can only record 16-bit. Since the I/O Dock only supports 16-bit audio, I believe, you will probably only be able to record 16-bit audio with it.

Anyway, that's been my experience, but you can probably get a more technical (and more correct!) answer from someone else here :)

donratto
Expert

Post by donratto » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Many thanks :)

Well, if you have been able to record 24 bit audio then it must work. My current (falling apart) setup is only 16 bit and I would like to improve on that, so I think the io dock is going back.

If I can find the article I was reading I'll post a link.

donratto
Expert

Post by donratto » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:56 pm

DrApostropheX
Expert

Post by DrApostropheX » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:31 pm

I researched the heck out of the Lexicon Omega about a month ago. I've heard reports (on Amazon and elsewhere) that it's not the most reliable unit around. I was also looking at the Alesis iO4 as another option for recording 2 tracks of 24-bit audio or 4 tracks of 16-bit audio at once (plus MIDI, which the Omega also has I believe), and it's a bit cheaper than the Omega.

In the end, it turns out my trusty ol' 10-year-old bulletproof Edirol UA-5 will get me 2 tracks of 24-bit audio which is enough for me. I also picked up an ART Dual Tube Pre for the tube preamps it has. Though it only does 16-bit audio over USB, having those tube preamps really warms up the sound of whatever I'm sending into the iPad (whether it's a keyboard workstation or a ribbon mic) so the tradeoff is worth it for crunching up and warming up a sound. It also has SDPDIF output (at 48kHz) which I can run into the UA-5 and back into the iPad at 24-bit/48kHz.

Oh, and I hate to mention a competitor's website here, but the Harmonic Dog forum has a good post on iOS compatible interfaces and the number of max channels they've got working (and whether or not those interfaces require a powered hub or not), so that might be worth looking up, too.

donratto
Expert

Post by donratto » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Great, thanks. Will do some more exploring. I could work with two inputs but four would save a lot of plugging and unplugging. The search continues! :)