AURIA Tips & Tricks

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: AURIA Tips & Tricks

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:48 pm

Just wanted to share an old mix engineers referencing CD track called Aja by Steely Dan. Although this track was recorded many years ago, it remains the pinnacle of all standards even to this day. This track if heard in it's original form, ( CD not mp3/4 or any other commpression) will let you mix/master the best track possible. You can use this track to test your speaker placement or judge your full frequency response. You can adjust your imaging if you have sensitivity lesel adjusters on the back of your speakers to achieve the best center/L/R listening allowing you to make better stereo mixes. You can for sure hear the most transparent reverb ever recorded. It's very hard to hear it but it is there beautifully mixed into the master. For drummers this is a delighful track with uncomprimised drumming and seperation. Keyboardists can really appreciate the keys and sonic quality of the instruments and timbre decays ala natural. Finally the track takes you on a musical journey and demonstrates high class production and phrasing. It is used still by many studio engineers as a tool to help them understand where the basics are and the power of simplicity mixed with complexity. Do yourself a favour and get the mastering tool used by the pros. Make sure it's a pure cd quality,that's never been compressed. Cheers
~~_/)~~~

brooks501
Expert

Post by brooks501 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:07 pm

Totally agree Anthony.

I remember engineers I've assisted getting this out, it was a good way to set your ears up, another one that came out was School by Supertramp because of the dynamic range though the song, ahh the memories.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:29 am

That whole Album Crime Of The Century ,that School came off is worth a listen stunning Album 8) (I do love the 70's rock prog thing though)

Another speaker setup reference tune is

Jazz Variants by The Ozone Group. It's mainly a drums percussion tune but once it gets going :shock:

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:15 pm

If you are one of the many that use studio headphones that require a bit more power in order to drive them louder so that you get a comfortable listening level durring recording or mixing ( like my AKG K702 ). Simply plug in the Fabfilter ProL into your last effect slot on Auria's main buss and you instantly can get way more gain for your headphones without purchasing an expensive headphone pre-amp.. Cheera and hope this helped. ~~_/)~~~

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:02 am

If your using a midi controller to adjust your Fabfilter plugins, it is very important to give each plugin seperate CC numbers because if they share the same CC # when you adjust one plugin dial you will be inevitably adjusting the other plugin in the background. I use the Axiom 49 2nd gen and I just simply save a patch on my Axiom for each of the different plugins that I'm using in my current project. However this does create some very cool effects like using the ProQ to control one of Saturns Filters or you could have a delay from Timeless control a filter sweep in Vocano. That's why I didn't report this as a bug because I can use this in creative ways. In addition to setting up new CC# you can simply turn off Midi for that particular plugin. You find this option in the drop down arrow to the right of the Midi Learn. And if you recorded any automation, that automation still plays back with the midi toggled off. This way you can adjust other plugins using the same CC#'s. Don't forget to turn the midi back on to make new adjustments and save your settings there as well for your project. Cheers everyone and have a very happy iPad event day with a product coming that will finally be equal to Auria's power. ~~_/)~~~

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Ah, good idea.
Turning the midi on and off for plugs sounds like a good habit to get into.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Zippydog
Expert

Post by Zippydog » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:51 am

Jus wrote:
Phil999 wrote:
Jus wrote:Stereo enhancer trik
true, but why not use a delay for this? That's the old trick we synthesiser players did (and do) it. Synths were strictly mono in the old days. I think Jean-Michel Jarre did this with the entire mix in his first album. All tracks hard left, and a delay hard right. Simple, but effective.
Ha ha cheers for that was thinking there must be an easier way of doing this :D
Will give your method ago later as I use the enhancer trik quite a lot 8)
Ha! Did this last night with a string section by copying the track and then using delay on the second track. Panned one hard L, the other R. Very nice effect - this trick's a keeper!!

Emmitt

Post by Emmitt » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:18 am

Since this area seems to have some people familiar with old school stuff, maybe my questions won't be too unusual...

I've looked through the manual many times, and searched the forum, but I've found nothing on the positioning of tracks. By positioning, I mean this:

1) I import a project and the original location of the bass is track #9. SInce I want it to be closer to the drums tracks (tracks 1-4), I'd like to relocate it to track #5. I s this possible in AURIA?

2) Many times I have a project where a track will have an erratic performance (let's say a Lead Vocal). Assume it's on track #1. I'd like to create a number of additional tracks (4) in positions 2-5 so that I can cut up track #1 into various sections and move the sections to various locations on the new tracks so I can treat them individually creating a better conrtolled result in the final mix. Is this possible in AURIA?

3) FInally, very often I have a situation where a project has composite tracks (due to overall track limitations of the time) with a track consisting of let's say cowbell, background vocals, and lead guitar on a single track. If I'm lucky, none of the performances will overlap and I would then create new tracks so I can separate them onto exclusive tracks and use those for better control in the final mix.

I'm bringning in a LOT of projects from the mid-70's and early 80's where track limitations required composite tracks and if I can break them out as described above, I would be a VERY happy camper. I used to do this in SONAR and LOGIC and I'm hoping this capability exists in AURIA as it is now the way I want to go forward.

If all of this is answered somewhere else, kindly refer me to that info.

Thanks in advance for you time and input.

Emmitt SIniard
esiniard@icloud.com

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:04 am

You can reorder tracks simply by dragging the track header to the desired vertical position (in the Edit window). By "track header" I mean the grey area, to the far left of the waveform/regions area, that contains the track name, solo/mute/rec buttons, etc.

Since you can thus reorder tracks, you can add as many empty tracks as required and drag them to the desired positions.

Hope this helps :)

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:31 am

You can also move the recorded regions from track to track vertically by
tap and hold until region turns red then drag it up or down- even stack them
on top of each other. Using the "multi sel" button will let you tap and drag
more than one at a time. It's in the manual look for "moving regions" in the
content table
best jp

Emmitt

Post by Emmitt » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:55 pm

Thank so much, guys!

I couldn't imagine a program with all the features of AURIA not being able to do these things.

I tried tapping the header to move before, but since it didn't work right away, I wondered... With the confidence you guys gave me, I was able to figure out you have to tap and hold for a second for the header to " loosen up". After that the relocation is as easy as I'd hoped it would be.

Thanks again.

Emmitt

Paulefingaz

Post by Paulefingaz » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:02 pm

Can you mix down an individual track? For example, I'm looking to save cpu space, and would like to be able to mix down certain tracks individually, so the the eq, and other apps etc, are recorded to the track, and doesn't have to process the signal through the apps every time I play back. Thanks in advance.

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:20 am

Paulefingaz wrote:Can you mix down an individual track? For example, I'm looking to save cpu space, and would like to be able to mix down certain tracks individually, so the the eq, and other apps etc, are recorded to the track, and doesn't have to process the signal through the apps every time I play back. Thanks in advance.
Hi there, this is easily done by soloing the track/s that you wish to mixdown (highlight the 'S' button on the channelstrip) then from the dropdown menu select 'mixdown to a new track', you can then either delete the old track or just switch off the effects/IAA's you were using.

Hope this helps

Aaron

Paulefingaz

Post by Paulefingaz » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:19 am

Thanks ,much appreciated

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:53 am

If the only FX you use are Auria ones (i.e. Channel Strip and plug-ins), you could simply 'freeze' those tracks that are CPU-intensive. That's the snowflake button below the Insert slots of a track's Channel Strip dialog. However, if you use separate IAA apps as insert FX, I'm not convinced that freezing such tracks is a good idea. In which case, doing a mixdown and importing as a new track (as previously described) is a good way forward.