AURIA Tips & Tricks

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

AURIA Tips & Tricks

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:38 am

Share techniques and mixing methods in AURIA.

Here's one,
In order to keep my memory meter down In a large track project I will bring up a couple of tracks like say Bass and Drums and EQ them using ProQ so that they sit against eachother well, then I save the EQ setting in ProQ for each track of the song. I then remove the EQ to free up memory but when ever I need to solo a particular track to see how the mix is going I simply load the saved EQ for that track and check my mix to see if it sounds good. In the end this speeds up the mixing process because I already have the EQ set for most of the tracks and often only need to make minor adjustments to the EQ'd tracks durring mixdown as EQ tends to be the most time consuming operation in mixing. When I'm finished the project I simply delete the EQ setting saved in ProQ ready for my next project. I have also saved some EQ settings that work with my different mics allowing me to get a good sound right away then tweak it a bit for that particular song.

Geronimo
Expert

Re: AURIA Tips & Tricks

Post by Geronimo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:37 pm

That's a good one, thank you.

Have nothing in return though, yet. :)

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Geronimo wrote:That's a good one, thank you.

Have nothing in return though, yet. :)

No problem and thanks. I have a few more that I will post here soon. Cheers.

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Not exactly an Auria or mixing trick, but a tips at least...If you want some more IR presets from MoreVox they do have a free demo pack available for download that contains a bunch of samples from MSP, Retroverb and more IR packs. Go to the link below. To get the IR files into Auria follow Rims instructions in the second link.

IR Files;
http://www.morevox.com/web/---download-page.html

Installation Instructions by Rim:
http://d4.drumagog.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9344

"Yes, you have two choices for using your own IRs:

1. Rename the ir file you want to use to .ir For example room.WAV should be room.ir Copy this file into Auria's main (root) folder using iTunes File Sharing

2. Add your WAV files into the IR Files folder. To do this, you'll need to create a folder on your PC/Mac called IR Files. The capitalization is important. Then, copy the files into this folder. Zip the folder, then copy the zip file into Auria's main (root) folder.

Make sure you close/reopen convolution reverb to see any changes.

Rim"

(Edit: You need to start a new project for Auria to unzip the file and add the IRs to the convolution reverb)

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:38 am

~~_/)~~~
Thanks thays a great tip for anyone thinking of buying the IR collection. I personally love them and am using them daily. The really do make a real diffegrence especially on iOS Synths and Percussion as well as Vocals. Cheers

vezinho
Expert

Post by vezinho » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks a lot Chris for that tip, and for taking time to describe the procedure!
Very appreciated !
Cheers.

Hervé

Rickzilla007

Post by Rickzilla007 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:30 am

Battery life extender.
You can save the battery life of ipad while using auria as a live mixer by turning off the ipad screen. Normally if you just turn off the screen automatically or with the screen on off button your audio interface will drop usb connection and all sound will be lost. Not something you want when using this as a live mixer set up. (I use auria with a presonus 1818vsl with 8 tracks of audio coming in and all EQ'd and gated and compressed in real time with very usable latency.) I have found that if you do it in the following order you can turn off the screen and keep the presonus active.

First you need to set ipad so screen never turns off automatically via ipad settings. While you are there also disable button clicks and other ipad sounds so they don't come blaring through the speakers when you navigate around the ipad. Next enable background audio in auria settings. Now while you are using it as a live mixer and happy with all your settings you simply minimize auria using ipad screen button (it keeps working in the background in a red bar across the top of ipad which you can touch to restore auria). When auria is running in background like this you can now turn off the screen with the screen button on ipad and the interface remains connected and all is good. Probably saves a few cpu cycles as well I suppose. To adjust anything just turn on the screen using any button and then hit the red bar across the top where auria is working in the background and auria is back full screen.

As a live mixer auria matched with a presonus 1818vsl is an incredible bargain. It is a little bit fiddly with the tiny controls but once you get a rough mix there is not that much to do apart from volume changes which are easy using the screen faders.

Thanks auria peeps, awesome and elegantly programmed piece of software. Just wish you had sidechain on the built in compressors/gates.
cheers,
Rick

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:50 am

Stereo enhancer trik

Most effective on acoustic or rock rhythm Guitar
(Sorry if this is been done )

Say you record a guitar track in mono
Duplicate it and make a new track
So you should have two separate tracks of the same recording

Right now move one region about 30ms behind or forward of the other one it don't matter which way , say the original region ( you may need to expand /stretch the edit screen to do this
Now pan each track hard left & right you should hear a nice stereo guitar like you hear on the pro recordings 8)

Note: I say 30 ms it could be 300ms not that good with figures you need to experiment :mrgreen:
Hope this helps some1 somewhere will be happy :D

trunkdog

Post by trunkdog » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:47 pm

Where's the stickie for ths?
Thx - td

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:22 pm

Jus wrote:Stereo enhancer trik
true, but why not use a delay for this? That's the old trick we synthesiser players did (and do) it. Synths were strictly mono in the old days. I think Jean-Michel Jarre did this with the entire mix in his first album. All tracks hard left, and a delay hard right. Simple, but effective.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm

Phil999 wrote:
Jus wrote:Stereo enhancer trik
true, but why not use a delay for this? That's the old trick we synthesiser players did (and do) it. Synths were strictly mono in the old days. I think Jean-Michel Jarre did this with the entire mix in his first album. All tracks hard left, and a delay hard right. Simple, but effective.
Ha ha cheers for that was thinking there must be an easier way of doing this :D
Will give your method ago later as I use the enhancer trik quite a lot 8)

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:23 pm

well when resources are scarce, doubling and moving a track might be better. Although I guess a mono delay won't use much resources. I think it doesn't matter, both methods have advantages.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:50 pm

Yep phill both must have a very slight difference in sound /effect ( which is good 8) )
Very much appreciated the more tips the better :mrgreen: cheers

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Just wanted to share that if you plug in a FaderPort USB 1.0 mixer into a powered hub where another device is connected that is USB 2.0, ALL the USB ports on that hub will now be runnng at USB 1.0 not 2.0 as the slowest speed takes presidence.
So this might affect some recording set-ups where the Audiobox is a unit that runs in 2.0.
Just wanted to share this bit of info. Rim are you aware of any problems we might encounter with this? Cheers.

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:52 am

Put your iPad in airplane mode. Saves battery and (supposedly) some other background mojo.

This was a big one for me recently: pinch with vigor. Rim and (I think) ZenLizard recommended it in a thread and it's made a significant difference in my working speed.

The IR reverb may not work if you started any other audio app before starting Auria. Indeed, you will generally get much better plugin performance if you ensure that auria is started after all/any other audio apps are fully closed. Double tap the home button, hold down an app icon in the tray until they shake, and click the the little red minus signs of everything in the tray. Note that you can't start auria, then close apps; you have to start Auria after everything else is closed. The first open Core Audio app sets the buffer length for all subsequently opened Core Audio apps, as I understand it anyway. Auria uses a pretty healthy buffer to serve up its audio/plugin magic while your favorite synth app likely uses a more svelt buffer so that playing remains responsive.