Memory warning

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

supanorton
Expert

Memory warning

Post by supanorton » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:41 pm

Using an iPad 2 with nothing running in background.

When I'm working on a track (bass, vocals, guitar so far) where I have to do multiple takes to get it right, the memory meter will start to decrease and eventually the memory warning will appear. I'm talking about 20+ takes. My workaround is to close Auria and then shut down Auria in the background when the meter gets to about 20.

I've also experienced this memory issue when mixing. I'll do a lot of freezing, unfreezing, tweaking, etc. Eventually, the meter will start to drop and the memory warning will appear.

It happens in all my projects.

The app will shut down if I ignore the warning.

The latest instance of this was on an 11 track project with all channel strips bypassed and all plugins disabled. I was also undoing the recorded regions before recording another.

Thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Memory warning

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:30 am

It's possible that you've discovered a memory leak. Can you pinpoint exactly which action causes the memory to dip and not recover?

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:26 am

I think I'll be tracking again tonight. I'll pay close attention to what I'm doing when it happens.

DrApostropheX
Expert

Post by DrApostropheX » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:59 am

I've gotten memory errors too, with a seven-track project, after doing a lot of freezies and unfreezies on an iPad 3. I get the error, and click it away, and nothing bad ever happens.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:18 pm

I created a new 44hz project with no tracks. Memory meter starts at 216.
Add a mono track, record 10 seconds using iPad mic.
Record over the first recording 20 times. Memory at 160.

Created another new project the same way except hit undo rather than recording over the existing tracks. Almost identical numbers in the meter.

All new projects start with a memory meter reading of 200+.

The meter drop seems to be intensified by adding other actions like playback, adding a channel strip, plugin, muting, etc.

The meter will remain at the same reading even if I load another project. In other words, if my "new project" with one track is reading 200, my 11 track project will open with a reading if 200 too. If I do some basic mixing in my 11 track project, the meter drop continues.

Am I the only one experiencing this kind if behavior? What does memory meter read when other users with iPad 2 create a new 44hz project with no tracks?

It's not really getting in my way as closing the app in the background restores the memory. I should also add that after reopening the app, the memory meter continues to drop. If I don't close the app, I'll eventually get the memory warning.

I hope I've been clear.

Thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:57 am

Thanks for the info. I'll experiment with this.

Thanks,
Rim

Phixit

Post by Phixit » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi Rim,

If i do nothing with auria my memory drops down.
Even with a new project without recording.
Mb's / 5 minutes

Regards, Peter

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Hey guys, I get this behaviour too. Memory drops from approx 160 to single digits pretty quick.
eg. 8 or so tracks of audio (so far), 5 or 6 of these with FX on. Freezing the tracks with the FX free's up some CPU but the memory meter drops regardless.
Closing and re-opening Auria brings the memory meter back up so I'm not overly concerned, but I find I'm having to shut down/re-open Auria every time I add a new track.
It could well be that I'm not using Auria as efficiently as I should so any tips would be welcome!!
Cheers
Aaron

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:36 pm

There's no accurate way to measure memory on an iPad, unfortunately. This is why the memory meter in Auria varies so much. Just because it drops down low doesn't always indicate that it's a low memory situation. Very often, iOS hasn't reallocated the memory that was used for some temporary operation (like a mixdown or an editing operation), and so the meter still shows that a lot of memory is being used. In these cases, as soon as Auria needs more memory, iOS will simply free that memory. I wish Apple would give us a more accurate way to measure memory...

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:38 pm

In my experience, Auria has forced a shut down enough times that I feel more comfortable shutting down myself so I don't lose anything. I haven't ever seen the memory recover.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:25 am

Memory will sometimes recover by simply suspending Auria and waking it back up again (pressing the home button).

Rim

sbrunot

Post by sbrunot » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:27 am

I have the same problem on ipad 1 with a 4 tracks projects, only 3 tracks with content, frozen. When I unfroze a track an try to record, I've got the memory alert. I need to quit and restart auria to be able to continue.

Phixit

Post by Phixit » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:36 am

Well if i only monitoring, have no fx and only want to make music,
It is the same, a drop of mem.
I must reboot every 60 minuts +/-..

It's not funny at all.

Regards, peter

I say phixit

Phixit

Post by Phixit » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:41 am

Is there maybe a way to put things in ios off that uses memory?
What is good to put down?

For example wifi, bluetooth, or other hidden things in ios?

I hope you know what.

Regards, peter

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:05 am

I'm constantly trying to reduce Auria's memory footprint, so this will get much better in the future. For now, closing all background apps, including Safari, mail, etc. is a good practice to maximize the available memory to Auria.

Rim