Experiment with a mix without overwriting original version?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

DigiPep

Experiment with a mix without overwriting original version?

Post by DigiPep » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Dear Auria Support,

I haven't recorded a new project yet in Auria but, I've noticed an issue with making changes in an existing mix. Let's say that I have the McCartney Demo loaded. If I change a Fader or a Pan setting (for example) it seems to immediately update the original "I Only Wanted" file. If I Load another Demo into Auria and then Re-Load the "I Only Wanted" file, whatever changes that I made (just screwing around) are still evident i.e. if I pulled the channel one fader all the way down. The only way around this that I've discovered is to delete the Demo in question and then Re-Load it from the Auria Store.

This is a round about way of asking my actual question. How does one go about saving incremental changes in a mix, or different version of a mix? It seems that if you had a killer mix of a song and then just experimented with a few changes, if you didn't make a backup of that mix first, then your previous mix will automatically be Overwritten with no way to Revert to the Original. Is this a case where one would select Rename Project or Save Copy of Project in order to avoid losing a version of a mix that you liked previously.

Maybe I should be saying "mixer settings" instead of a mix? I'm not talking about automation here, just static mixer settings like Fader Level, Pan etc. It seems like there ought to be a Menu item named "Revert to Saved Version" or something like that.

While we're on the subject, what about the idea of Snapshots? It would be really cool to save Snapshots of the complete state of the mixer aka console. One could then name the Snapshots depending on what changes were being tried on the Project.

Thanks in advance for your patience with my ridiculously long post. :P

PS I just realized what the curved arrow icons are for to the left of the word Menu at the top of the screen. So, that seems to answer my question about making changes yet having the ability to Revert to the Original. Sorry about that.

DrApostropheX
Expert

Re: Experiment with a mix without overwriting original versi

Post by DrApostropheX » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Ooh! Mixer snapshots would be awesome! Good suggestion!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Experiment with a mix without overwriting original versi

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:37 am

Snapshots are a great idea. It's something we may add to a future version. In the mean time, undo/redo and Save Copy of Project are the way to go.

Rim