Drum Machine/Apps that work with Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Re: Drum Machine/Apps that work with Auria?

Post by Geronimo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:05 am

ThumbJam comes with a good string section, including Cello, Viola, Violin and String Ensemble. It works on a pianoroll basis, supports audiocopy and is overall really nice :)

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:07 am

But for Garageband, couldn't you just create whatever string piece you want there, export the mixdown to dropbox (or iTunes, or whatever works best) and import it from here to Auria? It's not optimal but it should work.

Skyhighrocks

Post by Skyhighrocks » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:14 am

A lot of great suggestions here but I ended up with EZDrummer and Steve Slate 4 Essentials on my pc. I can create the tracks in Reaper and then just import them into Auria.

On another note, it looks like I won't be able to use Auria to record my album because it just doesn't run well enough on an iPad 1. I'm constantly having the app tell me low cpu usage and things like that and space is an issue as well. 1 song isn't a problem but to track 10 or so...that's not going to work. I'm thinking of recording everything via my pc laptop and then importing tracks 1 song at a time into Auria to mix/master. I don't have the funds available to go out and upgrade my ipad.

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:17 pm

I have and love Beatmaker 2 (though it is admittedly complicated to get loops copy/pasted out of), Nanostudio, DM1, iElectribe, FunkBox, DrumTrackHD. I use garageband to tap out more natural sounding drum parts and tweak the velocity etc in the editor afterwards. I find it's easiest to email copies of the songs out to myself with the drum tracks I want solo'd and then use the "open with" functionality from within the email. I open them in Hokusai and copy paste to Auria. Not as ideal as if Auria was already included in the open with list, but its manageable). Finally, for my most unique sounds I almost always find myself in the iMS-20. I wouldn't give up any of these. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

For strings I do use the already mentioned GarageBand and Thumbjam (don't miss the extra samples you can download - this app is a MUST BUY if you own an ipad an make music on it, but you probably already know that).

Good luck.

Breeze

Post by Breeze » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:56 pm

Wouldn't it be useful for Auria just to generate MIDI Clock and SPP via Core Midi based on tempo and time signature? Or even MTC? (Midi Time Code).

That's the way we used to sync tape decks and drum machines/sequencers, and for a time DAWs too. That would let you build your drum track in whatever and then just sync it to Auria (even following start/stop/continue and locate), and eventually render/record and import.

This would have other uses too... but I don't know if any current drum machines on iOS are ready for this.

My 2 cents ;)

**Update: I just read in the wislist thread that Auria is already slated for a complete MIDI sync mplementation. Excellent! Thanks!
Last edited by Breeze on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Breeze

Post by Breeze » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:52 am

Skyhighrocks wrote:A lot of great suggestions here but I ended up with EZDrummer and Steve Slate 4 Essentials on my pc. I can create the tracks in Reaper and then just import them into Auria.

On another note, it looks like I won't be able to use Auria to record my album because it just doesn't run well enough on an iPad 1. I'm constantly having the app tell me low cpu usage and things like that and space is an issue as well. 1 song isn't a problem but to track 10 or so...that's not going to work. I'm thinking of recording everything via my pc laptop and then importing tracks 1 song at a time into Auria to mix/master. I don't have the funds available to go out and upgrade my ipad.
I have to ask: why bother with Auria at all? Wouldn't your artistic needs be met or exceeded by using a DAW on a PC? Auria is a fantastic tool when working in an environment that doesn't give you access to your conventional work environment. But given a choice, I personally would never give up the power and convenience of my personal studio to work with something more limiting.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:53 pm

The guys from ThumbJam have submitted a new app to Apple called DrumJam. Looks to be all percussion and acoustic drums sounds. I'm excited.

vezinho
Expert

Post by vezinho » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:19 am

Yeah, it should be available in about 10 days maximum....it sounds promising, waiting for it.
We don't really know about creating presets, hope we can do it.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:31 am

Looked it up on Youtube and DrumJam seems really nice. Not a drum machine as such, but a nice different tool nonetheless. You just can't really create your own beats in there, seemingly. You have to stick with the loops, although there are many of it.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:30 am

The more loops the better; I despise programming, sequencing, tapping, etc.

I just need every conceivable beat and fill from 1-1000 BPM for $.99. That shouldn't be too difficult.

Skyhighrocks

Post by Skyhighrocks » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:48 pm

Breeze wrote: I have to ask: why bother with Auria at all? Wouldn't your artistic needs be met or exceeded by using a DAW on a PC? Auria is a fantastic tool when working in an environment that doesn't give you access to your conventional work environment. But given a choice, I personally would never give up the power and convenience of my personal studio to work with something more limiting.
That's the thing. I don't have another workstation for recording. I'm going to make due using something like Reaper on my laptop to track. It's not as feature packed as Auria for mixing and mastering. My budget is non-existant to go out and buy more software/interfaces. $50 for Auria was a no brainer...even if I can use it to its potential.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:32 am

But Reaper comes with:

"Unlimited multiband EQ with draggable nodes
Graphical FFT EQ/dynamics processing
Technical and multiband compression
Flexible, open-format convolution reverb
Real-time pitch correction, with Elastique 2 Pro built in
Multitap delay, basic synthesizer, sample player, vocoder, algorithmic reverb, and more
Special-use plug-ins to virtualize outboard hardware, stream audio, connect to NINJAM servers, and more
Includes the JS audio and midi plug-in scripting engine, and hundreds of user-programmable effects"

How's that not enough?

macmac62

Post by macmac62 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:52 am

Try also MusicStudio 2.0. It contains strings and all kinds of other good sounding instruments, and you can also audio copy and paste into Auria.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:14 am

Androcid wrote:I've used BeatMaker2 now which I love to work with. It can be abit more work to get into auria (you have to first export loop to audio and then copy loop to pasteboard). But its great for pads-work and come with a bunch of options and great soundlibrary. If I were to use sequencer instead of pads I would probably go for DM1 or iElectribe if you like the sound of that (no sampling, but cool app and beautiful to work with)

Beatmaker is not working for me with auria,i don`t know why.I made everything as described but when i paste the file into auria it`s just horrible and LOUD noise.Sounds like it`s totally clipped.When i import the same file in Beatmaker again...everythings fine and as it should be.What am i doing wrong?

i`m using an iPad 2....

Would be pretty bad if i can`t get it to work,BM2 is my most favourite Sequencer for the creative part :(

(not possible to paste into filtatron as well=crashes in a second)
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:04 am

Make sure you are pasting an audio file, not a midi file out of beatmaker. Also, make sure the sample rate of the project in Auria is 44100.

Rim