Mastering in Auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

leginkhan

Mastering in Auria

Post by leginkhan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi what is the best way to master in Auria? Is is that i mixdown a split stereo and then import it into Auria, then perform the mastering? What is the best plugins to use to master in Auria (I bought PSP warmer and Fab Filter Pro Q). Also is it a bad idea to try to master before i create a mix down?

jukeboxjoe
Expert

Re: Mastering in Auria

Post by jukeboxjoe » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:37 pm

I imported wav files (mixed on another system) into Auria to do just that. (Check out the results at http://www.soundcloud.com/joetunon).

There is more than one way to do it (and no one way is "superior" to the other). You can use plugins on the individual tracks of a stereo mixdown (no need to split a mixed stereo track into two separate tracks unless you wanted to treat each side of the stereo mix differently for some reason). You can also use a subgrouped track or the master track to get different plugin options. You should play with both until you find what your ears like.

As far as the best plugins for mastering, good choice on the Fabfilter eq! It's awesome! Much more visual! (Here's me using it in Auria - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enNw8blAdPU)

As for mastering before you create a mixdown, I don't think it's a bad idea at all. While mastering is traditionally done by a mastering engineer, there's nothing wrong with playing around with it if you're doing it all yourself! You might find a sound that you like, regardless of how you get it. Using mastering effects judiciously allowed me to forego effects that I would have otherwise applied on some individual tracks before mixing them down, for instance. (It saves CPU too!) A lot of traditionalists might object to such "mixtering", but for do it yourself recording, I say why not? Learn the rules, and then learn how to break them :-)

Auria (like any DAW) is a great playground to learn how mixing and mastering interact with each other, so have fun!

leginkhan

Re: Mastering in Auria

Post by leginkhan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:50 pm

@ jukeboxjoe: hey great vid and tunes man. Thanks for the info you provided..it's very much appreciated.