Auria for live backing tracks with synchronised video

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

virul3nt

Auria for live backing tracks with synchronised video

Post by virul3nt » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:11 am

Hi all,
I've had a search around the forum and can't find too much info about importing and playing back video with Auria, and using is as a live backing track playback device.
I'm considering getting an iPad and I'm hoping that Auria will allow me to use this as my main live machine.

What I want to do is import my backing tracks as high-quality wavs. These would be split into stems and then summed using a mastering plugin - great to see Auria can work with plenty of simultaneous tracks and plugins here :)
I also want to import video files and synchronise them with the audio. This consists of custom-made visuals and filmclips of the songs being performed, so it needs to be in perfect sync. The quality of the video doesn't have to be superb, but it should handle 16:9 as well as 4:6 resolutions, depending on the projectors and venues we use.
I just want to be able to hit play and let the entire backing tracks play out. I don't need to interact with the iPad during the set.

So my questions are:
-What bitrate of wav is supported - 24bit or just 16bit?
-What video formats are supported and what is the optimum codec for the best performance (performance > quality in this case)? e.g. "Photo-Jpeg"
-How does the video playback monitor work? i.e. does it mirror the main screen or does it work as a "2nd monitor"?
-What video resolutions are supported?
-Can the video playback be switched to full-screen?
-Has anyone used the Alesis IOMix or any other hardware for video yet?

Thanks in advance for any assistance! I'm pretty sure what I want to do is possible but I just haven't seen anyone post about this type of setup yet.
Cheers.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Auria for live backing tracks with synchronised video

Post by Rim » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:49 am

Hi,

Auria's video playback feature is really designed for post production - arranging your audio to fit a video, then re-exporting it. I'm not sure it'll work perfectly for your application. The full screen mode is mostly full screen - the top bar is still visible with the transport controls. You also can only load one video, so loading several video clips wouldn't work. The video formats supported are the same ones supported by the actual iOS platform, so if it plays back using the standard iPad player, it'll play in Auria. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Thanks,
RIm

virul3nt

Post by virul3nt » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Many thanks Rim for your quick reply.
I've just picked up an iPad so next stop is Auria town!

If there is any chance of a true full-screen mode in an upcoming Auria update, I would certainly appreciate it greatly! AFAIK there are no iOS DAWs that support video import so I think there is a gaping hole in the market for acts wanting high-qualiy track playback and synchronised visuals. Only being able to import 1 video file is fine as I can render a set-length video from Final Cut and slot it over the top.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:52 am

Sounds good. It's definitely something we'll consider for a future update.

Thanks,
Rim

Gabcac

Post by Gabcac » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi there!
Infound this topic and interest me a lot, but since this post, I would like to know if the feature has been already implemented? Meaning if Auria is able to load a video file and plays it in full screen on the monitor/beamer connected to the ipad ?
This should be very usefull for band that need to play audio backtracks in sync with a video displayed in the back of the stage through a beamer.
Thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:00 pm

Video does play full screen on the iPad inside Auria. If you have an Apple TV, you can set up mirroring, so it outputs the iPad's screen into the Apple TV.

Rim

starfugger
Expert

Post by starfugger » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:24 am

How effective is aurio for scoring video? Thanks.