Effects and memory

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Steve White
Expert

Effects and memory

Post by Steve White » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:21 am

Hi there

Ok so I have 14 tracks in a project in Auria. They all have some kind of effect on them. Now even when I clear everything and re-start Auria, my memory shows like 48 meg which is fine but when I try to edit an effect while the song is playing Auria runs out of memory. I have all the channels with effects on them frozen too. Is this just a bug that will be corrected?

Thanks

Steve

Chris M
Expert

Re: Effects and memory

Post by Chris M » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:31 am

Hello,

What model of iPad are you running Auria on? Also, if you aren't already, you should always make sure any background apps are closed while running Auria, especially if you're running into Memory/CPU warnings.

Best,

Chris Miller
WaveMachine Labs

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:37 am

Hi Chris

I have the I Pad 2. Yep I close all the apps every time I use Auria.

Steve

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:45 am

Have you tried closing Auria (double-clicking on the home button and closing Auria from the bottom bar)? iOS handles memory in mysterious ways, and doesn't always free memory after closing a large project for some time. This is also why the memory meter in Auria is not always accurate. Of course, it's always possible that there's a hidden bug that's adding to the memory usage. We're fixing bugs as we find them.

Rim

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi Rim

Yes that's the way I always close everything. I also always start with nothing running. Even with every single track frozen the memory is low enough to give me a problem if I try to work on a new track.

Thanks

Steve

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:27 pm

My suggestion was to close Auria. Of course closing background apps is the first thing to try, but if that still doesn't free up enough memory, close Auria itself. if that still doesn't do it, reboot your iPad.

When I say close Auria, I don't mean simply pressing the home button. What I mean is this:

1. Press the home button so Auria is not showing
2. Double-tap on the home button
3. Find Auria in the list
4. Hold down on the Auria icon in that bottom bar and press the X.

This isn't always necessary, but if you find that memory is not being freed, this is a good way to guarantee that you're starting from a fresh place.

Rim

DrApostropheX
Expert

Post by DrApostropheX » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:39 pm

Not that this will help in your case, but before I begin doing anything memory or processor intensive on the iPad, I shut it down completely (hold the sleep button, and then slide to shut down), wait a bit, and then restart it. This may all just be in my mind, but I look at it as a for-sure way of releasing all of the memory and making sure nothing is still hanging on in the background. You can also try putting it into Airplane mode via the settings menu, just in case the background wireless processes are using any memory.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:45 pm

I've also experienced this running a 64 gig iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1 on a ten track project. I don't have plugins on every track, but I've had the "close plugin" warning several times, with two forced shut downs. Restarts, no apps running in background, etc. doesn't seem to make a difference.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:50 pm

It's very important to remember that restarting your iPad will not close your background apps.

It's counterintuitive, but true. An iPad will reload all your background apps after a restart.

So, to really ensure that all your memory is free, you need to restart your iPad AND close all your background apps. It's the only sure-fire way to know you've freed all your memory.

This includes closing Auria as well. NOTE: in order to shut down Auria, you need to first tap the home button, so Auria's window is no longer showing, then double-tap the home button to close Auria. If Auria's screen is showing, it won't appear in the app list.

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:58 pm

I always start with a blank slate.

DrApostropheX
Expert

Post by DrApostropheX » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Ah, okay! That explains why sometimes after a restart, Outwitters is still running ;-) . I always thought that was because I didn't do the restart right. Thanks for information -- I learn so much just by reading this forum!

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:22 pm

Yep

I know how to make sure everything is closed. Everything is closed.

Steve

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Good. If you start from a blank slate, you won't have these issues. If you find that you start running out of memory after using Auria for a while (for example, after opening and closing several projects, or using a particular project for days on end), try quitting Auria and restarting it. If this still doesn't do it, try rebooting your iPad. A freshly rebooted iPad with no background apps running should give Auria a clean slate to work with, and you shouldn't have issues with running out of memory for a while.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:27 pm

By the way, one way to know for sure that Auria is closed is that it'll show the logo when starting up. This is how you know that you shut it down. If Auria comes up immediately when you launch it, it wasn't closed, and may still be consuming memory. So make sure you properly close Auria (in the app switcher) if you're having memory issues.

Rim

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:33 pm

Rim wrote:Good. If you start from a blank slate, you won't have these issues. If you find that you start running out of memory after using Auria for a while (for example, after opening and closing several projects, or using a particular project for days on end), try quitting Auria and restarting it. If this still doesn't do it, try rebooting your iPad. A freshly rebooted iPad with no background apps running should give Auria a clean slate to work with, and you shouldn't have issues with running out of memory for a while.

Rim

That's exactly my problem though. I have everything closed, all the tracks frozen but the one track I'm working on. I go to use say an EQ the memory blinks quickly between 25 and 35 meg so if I activate a few of the channels it gives me a low mem message. And yes I get the logo when I start Auria.

Steve