Effects and memory

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Steve White
Expert

Re: Effects and memory

Post by Steve White » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:41 am

Thanks Rim :)

Steve

distraub
Expert

Post by distraub » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:03 am

On a side note, I just finished up a 23 track project mixdown for a client, and never ran into memory issues, granted I didn't use convolution or drumagog, but I used plenty of channel strip, and Fab Filter Q on tracks. I am on iPad 2.

Thanks,

-distraub

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:24 am

I know it's not ideal, but maybe a "print" effects feature might help? OverLoud also seems to eat up space. Thanks, Rim!

Chris M
Expert

Post by Chris M » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 am

Hello,

Printing effects is essentially what freezing a track does--it temporarily renders all effects to a new audio file and bypasses the plugins, freeing up processing power.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:14 pm

Rim wrote:No way to get around it right now. The iPad has what it has in terms of memory, unfortunately. I'll implement the plugin unloading during freezing, and that'll help a lot. Then, if you start running out of memory because of plug-ins, at least you can freeze to reclaim it.

Rim
Would having the option of deleting unused subgroups help free up a significant amout of memory? I know for most of my projects i'm only using a couple subgroups at a time, and even if it didn't have much affect on memory it would clean up the screen a bit.
"In cordibus nostris Iesus in aeternum vivat"
“L i v e J e s u s i n o u r h e a r t s, f o r e v e r”
-----------------------------------------------------------
iPad Pro - 128GB - iOS 9.3 - Auria Pro

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:13 pm

Subgroups don't eat up much memory - it's regular tracks that use the most.

A work around to save memory is to actually bounce tracks, instead of freezing them. When you're finished bouncing, you can simply delete the plug-ins on that track, and this will free up CPU and memory (whereas freezing only frees up CPU).

You can bounce in two ways in Auria - by using Mixdown (and soloing the track of interest, or by pressing record on a new track and selecting LR as a source.

Rim

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks Rim

I'm gonna try the bounce thing maybe tonight. I got rid of all but maybe 4 empty tracks too and the memory is fine now, like around 108 meg.

Steve

anton06
Expert

Post by anton06 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:46 pm

Dear Steeve, hi, am a new Auria user. I baught Auria 4 days back and all the plugs that are proposed in app.
The coast is finally quite efficient and today am a bit disappointed..
I've been reading each and every advice you give for the memory, CPU, once many plugs are on. I close every apps in the back ground, I even close Auria in the back ground, I reboot what ever...I did everything right. The thing is that the plugs are taking a huge amount of memory and they are really too much for an IPad...I've got the IPad 2 and as it is explained in the Applestore it is supposed to work nicely. I can't freeze any track cause at first it makes a white noise which disappear if you mute the track but it has no any change on the CPU or on the memory....I've created a 10 tracks song on NanoStudio that I copied and pasted track by track on Auria and of course to give a better sound I added plugins but once I started to record my voice on the track 11 the memory of the processor (the CPU) announced that it wouldn't be possible to continu and force closed...
See there are indicators : the actual CPU and the maximum CPU limit and when am at 39 as a real time CPU it announces that the max before it force closes will be 42. So I did a Mixdown thinking that it would solve the problem...I re opened a new project, blank and imported the Mixdown but the CPU and memory (both) were at their limit and I could't recorded my lead voice. I closed all the back ground apps, even Auria's back ground too, I rebooted etc....but the thing is that it looks like when you use a Mixdown, you finally import the plugs with it...I mean in a matter of impact the memory loss is the same than if the plugs are active.......this app has a very bad way to manage memory, CPU etc and the experience is frustrating cause I can't finish any single project with it. I spent at least 150€ and it's just like yea...it could work nice but it doesn't. Please don't give the same advices like: close the background apps...etc....etc... Cause once one heard your advices, he doesn't need to turn around them indefinitely. I think Auria's team should really concentrate on this part which is the main part....to be abble to finish a project properly. Yes the cost of Auria is not so high but once you uploaded each and every single plug in app then the global cost isn't low....it becomes expensive and am really feeling bad. Then again to freeze a track isn't really solving the problem of memory and the white noise is just horrible. I don't want to appear as a guy who shout on you Steeve but you and your team should really work on seriously to solve those thing and really give to Auria it's aura...lol. Waiting for the result. Thanks
Regards

anton06
Expert

Post by anton06 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Again me...it's worst than ever....I mixed down a project from NanoStudio and pasted it in Auria in one track as a bounced project and I putted micwarmer plug on track 2 and a stereo delay and I can't even record ...CPU...I did all the steps...again...closing the back apps including Auria itself and I can't even record my lead voice. This app isn't made for iPad even Ipad2... You needed to wait the new new IPad until making the coming out of this app...it is just frustrating. I am so disappointed really. 150€ for something not working is just.......crazy.
Am a Logic studio pro user basically so I thought this could be an alternative. It's too early... After 6 or 7 months probably but for now it is mad...2 tracks and 3 plugins and it doesn't allow me to record. ???!!!!! Closing all the background apps, rebooting, freezing nothing to do......waooooo am so angry really. I even erased all the projects I started in....If it continues and if there are no solutions I will try to get paid back and erase this app. Why to buy something frustrating? For what?

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:44 pm

I don't believe Steve is on the Auria team :D

:mrgreen:
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

anton06
Expert

Post by anton06 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:19 am

Yea perhaps he is not...am new here so I thought so...anyway our comments will be seen by seen by someone who will be a part of Auria's team, well I hope so..........
:lol:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:53 am

Anton,

Sorry to hear about these problems you're having. Like any DAW (even DAWs on PC or Mac), it's possible to overload Auria if you're not careful. The CPU meter may only show 30%, but sometimes a plug-in will "peak" the meter briefly to 100%. This may be the reason you're seeing the CPU message early. You can place the CPU meter in the peak mode by clicking on it until you see "Max".

The white noise issue has already been fixed. You can see a list of all the bug fixes already finished by looking at the thread called "Bus Status Thread" at the beginning of the threads in this forum. The update is already at Apple, waiting to get reviewed.

Freezing tracks will not alleviate memory issues (this is something we'll add in a future update). Right now, freezing a track will only reduce the CPU usage.

There may very well be other bugs we haven't discovered yet. If you think you've found a reproducible bug, please let us know about it, and how exactly to reproduce it. It'll help us track down any other issues.

Rim

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:19 am

Heh heh.

No I'm just an owner of the software. I usually use my VS-2480 for recording but I'm disabled from Chronic Lyme Disease so I use Auria when I'm on the couch. I really want to get Drumagog but I'm a bit scared of the memory thing so I'm still learning and deciding.

Steve

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:50 am

Drumagog is nothing to be scared of ;) Plenty of users are having no issues at all with Drumagog and Convolution reverb. For example, you can insert two instances of Drumagog (kick and snare) on the Approach demo project with no issues at all on an iPad 3.

Rim

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:46 am

Thanks Rim

I know what you're saying and it's a good price too but I have an I Pad 2. I'll probably get the plug-in after the upgrade for Auria comes out soon now I think.

Steve