Effects and memory

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Effects and memory

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:57 pm

That's not normal. There might be something corrupt with your project. Can you send it to me (zipped)? I'll have a look at it here.

Rim

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi Rim

Ok, how would I do that? By the way don't get me wrong, I love the product.

Steve

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Not a problem at all, I want to see what's going on. It may help others with the same issue. If you have dropbox or something similar, you can send me a link to rim at drumagog (dot com).

Thanks,
Rim

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi Rim

Link sent.

Steve

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:38 pm

Steve,

Got it, thanks. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Are you on an iPad 2 or 3?

Thanks,
Rim

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:45 pm

Thanks Rim

I Pad 2

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm off to bed now but I wanna share this with you. So I clean slate start Auria and still with almost all channels frozen I had 4 meg of mem free. So I figured nothing to lose and started unfreezing some of the tracks and as I did the mem went up till I had all the tracks back unfrozen and stayed at around 80 meg. It is very strange and I'll try it again tomorrow and see what I get.

Curious to see if you have the same problem or not.

Steve

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:56 am

Steve,

I tried your project, and here's what I found. Freezing tracks in Auria reduces the CPU load, but it doesn't change the amount of memory used. In other words, if you had a convolution reverb inserted on a track that took 20% CPU and 40MB of memory, freezing this track would reduce the CPU to 0%, but the memory would still be used. This is not a bug, per se, but it's still something I can change in a future update.

When I removed all your plug-ins, the free memory rose to 80MB, as expected.

I didn't observe the strange behavior you saw with the free memory increasing as you unfroze tracks. I tried this several times and couldn't get it to happen. The only way I was able to get 80MB of free RAM was to remove all the plug-ins from your tracks after unfreezing.

Please let me know exactly how you were able to do this. Maybe I'm doing something slightly different.

The convolution reverb can use a lot of memory, depending on the IR file used (sometimes 20-40MB per instance). This is where having an iPad 3 makes a big difference, as it's got 1GB or RAM.

I'll see what I can do about making the freeze function unload the plugins from RAM.

Thanks,
Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:02 am

Another thing I noticed about your project was that you had 36 tracks, but only a few were used. Extra tracks take up memory. After I deleted these extra tracks, your free memory increased to 110MB (with no plug-ins).

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:19 am

[quote/]

I tried your project, and here's what I found. Freezing tracks in Auria reduces the CPU load, but it doesn't change the amount of memory used. In other words, if you had a convolution reverb inserted on a track that took 20% CPU and 40MB of memory, freezing this track would reduce the CPU to 0%, but the memory would still be used. This is not a bug, per se, but it's still something I can change in a future update.

I'll see what I can do about making the freeze function unload the plugins from RAM.

Thanks,
Rim[/quote]

I'm hoping you'll be able to figure something out with that. Thanks. I am loving the app, but I didn't see any documentation about the iPad 2's memory being an issue. That information is kind of important when deciding on purchasing an app that runs into $100 plus dollars with all the plugins. I'm getting memory warnings while only using 10 tracks. Again, I appreciate all the support and effort you're providing with the launch of Auria. Thank you.

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:23 am

Hi Rim

Well thanks for getting to that so fast, I appreciate it.

As far as the unfreeze and mem coming back I just started with the first frozen track and unfroze, mem went up. I did this all the way down the line one at a time and all was well.

I'm not sure what else I did but I'll check it out. One other thing I forgot to mention and must not have happened to you was when I had all those tracks frozen I was getting most of the sound from the right side of my phones and very little on the left even if I raised the volume all the way up.

I can't get an I Pad 3, I just got the 2 and can't afford it.

I will also reduce those tracks you mentioned but what if you have say 24 tracks in a project? And you want effects on all tracks? Is that even possible? Like for example I'm thinking about getting Drumagog but not if I'm going to have mem problems ya know?

Thanks again for taking time to check this.

Steve

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:29 am

I'm certainly not saying there's any problem with using an iPad 2 with Auria. It's got more than enough memory for most projects. In fact, the demo project is 18 tracks with a few plug-ins, and it has no trouble at all on an iPad 2. Even creating a 48 track project is no problem on an iPad 2. But it's easy to run out of memory on all iPad models if enough plug-ins are used (especially convolution reverb and Drumagog). It's just a matter of keeping things in perspective. The iPad only has a fraction of the memory that your PC or Mac does. And iPad's don't support disk caching, so when an iPad runs out, it runs out ;)

Rim

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:35 am

Hi Rim

So how do we get around the plug-in bottleneck?

Steve

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:39 am

I'll implement the plugin unloading during freezing, and that'll help a lot. Then, if you start running out of memory because of plug-ins, at least you can freeze to reclaim it.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:40 am

And the left channel issue was already solved in the 1.02 update, which is waiting for review at Apple.

Rim