ReTune broken?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

boone51
Expert

ReTune broken?

Post by boone51 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:17 am

I feel like I might not be using this plugin correctly. Everything I try to do with it leaves the wet version with all kinds of artifacts and digital noise. I haven't been able to create any kind of useful sound with this plugin even using the presets. Is it broken or is it me?

Love the app, by the way. I'm floored at how powerful it is. I've worked with other daw's for years and I've specifically worked with iOS daws and this one has defined a new class. My hat goes off to you. Just curious if the reTune plugin is busted or if there are some instructions somewhere that can tell me how to get better results.

Cheers
Last edited by boone51 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: ReTune broken?

Post by Rim » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:30 am

Sorry you're having trouble with it. Here's what I recommend (I'll ask Mu Technologies to jump in here too for more suggestions)

1. Make sure the source is a single voice, not something with two voices on it, like a harmony track
2. Make sure there's no other effect on the track prior to sending it through reTune, for example, no reverb or delay, etc.
3. Use the tune controls to set the lines in the display to cover the range you're interested in.

It's best to start with one of the presets, like Basic Auto Tuning.

Rim

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks for the incredibly fast reply. Very classy. I'll keep at it and see if I can get a better sound out of it, but wanted to ask. Would appreciate any other feedback as well.

Thanks again.

rickboon
Expert

Post by rickboon » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:54 pm

Having exact same issue.

rickboon
Expert

Post by rickboon » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:55 pm

Mono track, single voice, preset basic auto tune, digital noise, hash, etc.

Jimsimonz

Post by Jimsimonz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:39 pm

I have the same issue. Wierd digital distortion when soloed. Tried on the vocal from the demo song shows the issue.

rickboon
Expert

Post by rickboon » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:51 pm

Obviously a problem with this plugin. Finding other things as I go. Still, Auria is incredible.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:59 pm

I've e-mailed the developer of ReTune to respond in this thread.

Thanks,
Rim

Iammane

Post by Iammane » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:03 am

Did some testing last night and I get the same behavior on an audio track copied from Nanostudio, but I can't replicate on the demo song... I didn't solo the track though either, but did notice the demo track uses a mono audio track while Nano pasted a stereo sample. Could this have any bearing?

gillesda

Post by gillesda » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:12 am

Hello forum,
I helped developing the ReTune plugin for Auria. I'm trying to understand what is going on with our plugin on your systems. For now, we cannot reproduce the issues you guys are facing with ReTune. But maybe we are overlooking something?

Could you please help us improve our product by answering the following questions as detailed as possible?

- Is the digital noise only coming from the "wet"-channel or also from the "dry" channel?
- Is the noise also present when ReTune is inserted on an empty track?
- Can any of you make a audio bounce of the digital noises and send it to us by email?
- Is there specific audio material which triggers the bad sound quality?
Please include which version of iOS you using and which iPad (1, 2 or 3)?

Thank you!

Gilles Dandelooy
Mu Technologies

Jimsimonz

Post by Jimsimonz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:58 am

Repro is simple. iPad3 IOS5.1
Wet signal has nasty digital artifacts mostly on transients a bit like clipping or possibly missing samples.

1 - Solo the male lead vocal in the approach sample content
2 - assign retune as an insert effect
3 - apply basic preset
4 - mute the dry signal

Outcome, vocal is tuned but nasty artifacts on transients. Can be heard clearly through iPad speaker.

gillesda

Post by gillesda » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:04 am

Thanks for your reply Jimsimonz. Could you make a bounce of the audio and send it to me? That way I can listen to make sure we are talking about the same thing? For instance, I hear some abnormalities around the sentence "but I hope I'm the fellow you're dancing with".

Thanks in advance,

Gilles Dandelooy
Mu Technologies
Last edited by gillesda on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:55 am

I'd be happy to get this for you if you haven't already received it. It's quite easy to reproduce with the sample track. Sounds a little like clipping at times. Thanks for helping us out with this.

gillesda

Post by gillesda » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:11 am

Hello,

Have you guys tried to put the "invert" parameter to "on"? Its default value if "off", but in the case of "The Approach" vocal track, ReTune performs a lot better with the "invert" parameter in the "on" position.

A little explanation about this control:

"The pitch detector in ReTune uses a filtering technique to find the glottal pulse marking the start of each period. The maxima in the filtered signal are analyzed to find the most likely period. When the signal is inverted, the algorithm might fail to detect it, therefore there is the inversion parameter allows to control this."

Please let us know if this is also an improvement on your iPads?

Gilles Dandelooy
Mu Technologies

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply Gilles. I've replied to your email as well. I will be honest and say that I have absolutely no idea what you said between the quotation marks there despite reading it slowly to myself three or four times, but I'll definitely try the inverted option this afternoon and let you know the results. I have noticed that the issue seems more pronounced on vocals in the lower range (such as my own).

Thanks again.