ReTune broken?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

boone51
Expert

Re: ReTune broken?

Post by boone51 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:03 pm

Sorry Gilles, but my results are still very distorted by digital noise. I also tried to use the plugin with the sample track the Approach and still clearly heard digital noise when using the extreme preset, though the invert setting did seem to help with the basic preset a little.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:45 am

boone51 wrote:Sorry Gilles, but my results are still very distorted by digital noise. I also tried to use the plugin with the sample track the Approach and still clearly heard digital noise when using the extreme preset, though the invert setting did seem to help with the basic preset a little.
I tried this plugin too and am encountering the same issues. Is there a fix coming or is it supposed to sound like that?

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:38 pm

Holy cats- finally tried this plug and it's pretty temperamental... Got good results by not working the plug too hard, but those looking to sound like lil Wayne will be disappointed.
Dev- any plans to allow the plug to work with bass guitar? I got horrible results no matter what I did. I play fret less and sometimes I just need that one or two notes tuned up :roll:
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

Justin Greed

Post by Justin Greed » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi, I am experiencing the same issue with Retune as the OP and others. Harsh digital distortion/artifacts on nearly all of the notes passed through the plug in. This occurs with mono and stereo instances of the plug-in. It occurs using the “basic –tuning” pre-set and also when manually adjusting the controls. The dry signal contains none of the distortion/artifacts. It becomes pronounced when the dry signal is muted and the wet signal is the only thing playing.

When I first encountered this issue I believed the signal going into the plug in may have been distorted (all though according to Auria's metering the signal was fine) So I pulled the Record Gain down to -144 db and rechecked my input level on the microphone I use for "on the go scratch vocals" a Tascam iM2. After recording at this moderate level and other passes at slightly higher volumes the plug in still processed the audio in the same way. I also imported several mono vocal tracks from a Pro Tools session that I KNEW were recorded properly, and unfortunately experienced the same issues.

My next step was to ensure that I had sufficient CPU to run this plug-in. I use an iPad 1 and am well aware of the recommendation to use an iPad 2 or 3. However ReTune still produces these issues in sessions using only 2 tracks with no other plug-in’s or channel strip processors active. CPU and disk usage were well within an acceptable range and there were no CPU Spikes or other issues.

I believe this issue is beyond the typical artifacts inherent in all auto-“magic” pitch correction plug-ins as it renders the audio unusable even at the most moderate settings.
One of the primary reasons I purchased this app was its support for 3rd party plug-ins, (imagine being stuck with the stock non - convolution reverb for the life of this app :). I really hope this issue is being investigated and given the proper attention that it deserves. Outside of this, this app rocks!

Thanks Team

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi guys, I've contacted Mu Technologies about these issues, and they are working to resolve them. I've asked them to post directly in this thread if they need more info.

Thanks,
Rim

anton06
Expert

Post by anton06 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:33 pm

Yea i've used the retune and i noticed as well horrible digital noises...unusable.
I will read all the comments about it because perhaps Rim or a user has found a solution about it.
:D

gillesda

Post by gillesda » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:44 am

Hello everybody,

Thanks for your feedback about ReTune. We are trying to understand what is going on. Could you please send us a bounce of the project so that we can hear what is going on? This is the only way for us to track down the problems. I will send each of you an email as well.

Please note that ReTune will probably not perform well on a bass guitar. It was designed mainly for tuning (unprocessed) vocal tracks (but also works on other monophonic instruments like saxophone or trombone).
This means that it should be placed first in the chain of plugins. If there is too much reverb or compression on the track, ReTune will have problems tracking the pitch.

Gilles

gillesda

Post by gillesda » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:10 am

OK, it seems that the problem happens when users try to run other instruments through ReTune.  For example, I got a reply from Dubhausdisco who mentioned that they were trying to run a bass guitar through ReTune.  This is not recommended, as ReTune wasn't designed to handle such low frequencies. Please keep in mind that ReTune was designed to be used with (monophonic unprocessed) vocal tracks.

When artifacts arise on certain tracks, please try to toggle the "invert" parameter, which is located in the center of the gui. When using ReTune on "The Approach" demo projects' main vocal track, our test have shown that "invert" should be to ON on this particular piece of audio.

If any of you guys still have problems with ReTune, please contact me directly, and send me the piece of audio.

Thank you!

Gilles

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:18 pm

It's amazing to have not only the Auria team but their partners who make the plugins be so responsive. I give you guys the gold star for the best support experience I think I've ever had with any product, much less an ipad app. Kudos. Now if it can just take my dying-cat like voice and turn it into something that sounds like Sinatra...
Last edited by boone51 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

gillesda

Post by gillesda » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:55 am

Hi forum,

Just to let you know that we've inproved our algorithm and that this changes will be included in the next update of Auria. The update will be released in about a week.

Gilles

vezinho
Expert

Post by vezinho » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:13 am

Hi Gilles ,

Great news !
Thanks a lot for the support!!

Amicalement

Hervé

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:01 am

Thanks, Gilles. That's great news. Will look forward to testing it out. Thank you guys so much for the awesome support.

Dancore
Expert

Post by Dancore » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:11 am

I've just purchased ReTune and I am experiencing all of this issues listed above. It's unusable :(

Does anybody use ReTune effectively in Auria? It's been a couple of years since the issues were reported.

Thanks a lot.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:02 pm

I wanted to use it for pitch correction (I'm often a little sharp) when I first bought Auria. I was hoping for some very discreet note fixes. I couldn't ever get it to fix the sharp notes. At some point, it just disappeared from my plugin list, and now I'd have to buy it to try it again. Not sure why. I guess I'm not missing anything so I never made a big deal out of it.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:42 pm

If anyone knows how to use it for simple pitch correction, I'd love to see it. Maybe someone could make a video of Re-tune in action?