New iPad

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

donratto
Expert

New iPad

Post by donratto » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:55 am

Hi

Just wondering, in practice, how significant the differences are between iPad 2 and '3' when using Auria? And, where these differences would be most notable.

Many thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Re: New iPad

Post by Rim » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:12 am

For Auria, the only real difference between the two is the amount of RAM. iPad 3 has twice the amount of RAM as the iPad 2 (1GB), and that makes a difference when using Auria, as you have to worry less about other background apps taking up memory.

Rim

donratto
Expert

Post by donratto » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:28 am

Many thanks. Will be fascinating to see how this all develops with future updates and more capable machines.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:51 am

Us too. We can't wait to see how Auria runs on any new hardware Apple develops!

Rim

Ringleader

Post by Ringleader » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:17 am

Hi, new user here... I installed Auria on my new iPad (3rd generation) and I have a question about the Memory meter. This meter indicates the amount of free memory available, correct?

I have noticed that the memory is only clocking about 374mb when all background apps are closed and on a brand new project with no recorded audio. Since the 3rd generation iPad has 1GB ram, what is the rest of the RAM being used on? I would expect more like about 700 mb to be available.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Ringleader wrote:Hi, new user here... I installed Auria on my new iPad (3rd generation) and I have a question about the Memory meter. This meter indicates the amount of free memory available, correct?

I have noticed that the memory is only clocking about 374mb when all background apps are closed and on a brand new project with no recorded audio. Since the 3rd generation iPad has 1GB ram, what is the rest of the RAM being used on? I would expect more like about 700 mb to be available.
I wouldnt be too concerned with the memory meter as it is only a guide or a FAIR warning when things are getting too busy for Auria and for you to have a chance to adjust things before Auria crashes due to low memory ( which rarely happens ). You probably have more ram available than that and the iPad will free up some if Auria needs it within reason. Dont forget that WiFi and location services as well as BlueTooth ect. All use some ram so turning those off may free up some memory.

Hope this helps
Cheers
~~_/)~~~

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Yes, it's measuring free memory. 374MB is not unusual for an iPad3. iOS itself takes up some memory, and also Auria takes up memory (which can be quite significant, depending on how many tracks and plugins you're using).

Rim