The "Auria Wishlist Thread"

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Drack

Re: The "Auria Wishlist Thread"

Post by Drack » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:18 am

3 wishes:

I'd love to be able to reorder tracks in the mix console by grabbing one of the screws (ha!) and dragging. I know that the console view reflects the track order that's set in audio view, but I'd like to be able to do the same reordering operation from both views.

I'd like to have a button to toggle the layers of audio in a particular track into a stacked view to compare alignment and crossfades, etc.

I'd like to be able to move subs around in the audio view to see automation directly under the grouped tracks. Maybe just insert a duplicate (one copy only!) fader/track for a particular sub elsewhere on the console/audio view.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:52 am

It would be convenient to be able to switch between input matrix and output matrix quickly with a button on the top of each pop-up.

Oh, and maybe even be able to access a tracks input source from the track header itself? Does that sound useable too? Kind of a track properties view.

Maybe even add the metronome to the output matrix.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

saveas

Post by saveas » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:00 am

My workflow typically involves recording small (1-4 bar long) loops and then use them to arrange a full track.
Auria is perfect for such thing but there is one problem. When a loop has a tail due to effects (delay reverb) this process is broken because of it's inability to overlap regions. When two regions overlap in Auria the only option is to crossfade, but sometimes you just want the overlapping regions just to play together.

So my really big wish is an option to let two overlapping regions play together, not cut or crossfade.

This is how Cubasis and BM2 do it and it's really a pain to sequence in these apps and then move the files to Auria.

Pleeeeaase!!

:)

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:47 am

You could try using the "Join" function, maybe disable whatever effect you have, line your loops up, highlight them all (multi select) then join the regions and reapply your delay/reverb.
Would this work?

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:22 am

saveas wrote:My workflow typically involves recording small (1-4 bar long) loops and then use them to arrange a full track.
Auria is perfect for such thing but there is one problem. When a loop has a tail due to effects (delay reverb) this process is broken because of it's inability to overlap regions. When two regions overlap in Auria the only option is to crossfade, but sometimes you just want the overlapping regions just to play together.

So my really big wish is an option to let two overlapping regions play together, not cut or crossfade.

This is how Cubasis and BM2 do it and it's really a pain to sequence in these apps and then move the files to Auria.

Pleeeeaase!!

:)
I don't personally work this way, but the crossfade feature should be able to help with this in the meantime.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:58 pm

As a workaround, you might consider using two tracks.

Assuming a 4-bar loop: Create a region at Bar 1 on Track 1. Copy/paste the region to Bar 5 on Track 2. Upon playback, as the end of the loop on Track 1 is reached, the loop on Track 2 begins playing. You can now automate the fade of the region on Track 1. When you are satisfied with the transition, delete the region on Track 2; then copy/paste the region on Track 1, which now contains the fade automation, to Bar 5 on Track 2. Continue to copy/paste both tracks' regions down the timeline, as needed.

HOWEVER...I am unsure as to whether automation is copied with a region...I don't see any mention of it in the manual. If not, this could be a showstopper.

HTH,

Mike

G-master G
Expert

Virtual Tracks for multi-takes

Post by G-master G » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:46 pm

G'day Rim,

I used to use a Boss BR900CD until my iPad and Auria came along. Something that I found really handy on the BR900CD was that each of its 8 tracks had 8 virtual tracks (v1 to v8) which you could use to do multiple takes of the same instrument and you could choose the best of these multiple takes as the "keeper" or you could cut and paste the best sections of each to create the "keeper".

Does something like that already exist in Auria of which I am unaware?

If not, would it be possible to include as a feature?

Or is there already another way that you can create the same outcome?

Cheers

Grant

saveas

Post by saveas » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:56 am

Thanks all for your suggestions!
ajmack302 wrote:You could try using the "Join" function, maybe disable whatever effect you have, line your loops up, highlight them all (multi select) then join the regions and reapply your delay/reverb.
Would this work?
Unfortunately this isn't working. It gives the same result as overlapping cut out.
MikeDee wrote:Assuming a 4-bar loop: Create a region at Bar 1 on Track 1. Copy/paste the region to Bar 5 on Track 2. Upon playback, as the end of the loop on Track 1 is reached, the loop on Track 2 begins playing. You can now automate the fade of the region on Track 1. When you are satisfied with the transition, delete the region on Track 2; then copy/paste the region on Track 1, which now contains the fade automation, to Bar 5 on Track 2. Continue to copy/paste both tracks' regions down the timeline, as needed.HOWEVER...I am unsure as to whether automation is copied with a region...I don't see any mention of it in the manual. If not, this could be a showstopper.
This is a clever trick but automation is not copied :(

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:12 am

MikeDee wrote:Assuming a 4-bar loop: Create a region at Bar 1 on Track 1. Copy/paste the region to Bar 5 on Track 2. Upon playback, as the end of the loop on Track 1 is reached, the loop on Track 2 begins playing. You can now automate the fade of the region on Track 1. When you are satisfied with the transition, delete the region on Track 2; then copy/paste the region on Track 1, which now contains the fade automation, to Bar 5 on Track 2. Continue to copy/paste both tracks' regions down the timeline, as needed.HOWEVER...I am unsure as to whether automation is copied with a region...I don't see any mention of it in the manual. If not, this could be a showstopper.
[/quote]This is a clever trick but automation is not copied :([/quote]

You could try the above idea as described, set your automation as desired, solo the two tracks, then mixdown to a new track. Your automation would then be copied and you could duplicate the loop as often as required. I think......

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:30 am

Gøød call, ajmack! So the updated sequence would be:

1. Create a region from your loop·file at Bar 1 on Track 1.
2. Copy/paste the region to Bar 5 on Track 2.
3. Upon playback, as the end of the loop on Track 1 is reached, the loop on Track 2 begins playing. You can now automate the fade·out of the region on Track 1 (as well as the fade·in and/or fade·out of the region on Track 2, if desired).
4. When you are satisfied with the transition, mix each track separately, one at a time, within the boundaries of each region. This way you will end up with two separate files, each the length of its original region. Or, you could mix both tracks to one file...up to you. It might be better to bypass the effects when doing the mixdown(s), then apply them later. (See Step 5.)
5. When you have completed the mixdown(s), delete both regions. If you have mixed down with effects, you can then remove (or modify) them; if not, leave the effects as they are.
6. Create a region from Track 1's mix·file at Bar 1 on Track 1.
7. Create a region from Track 2's mix·file at Bar 5 on Track 2. (Skip this step if you have mixed both regions to one file [in Step 4].)
8. Continue to copy/paste both tracks' regions (or just the one track's region if you have mixed to one file) down the timeline, as needed.

This should do it...it's not as complicated as it might lóòk.

Gr8 teamwork, Fellas! :D

Mike

MikeDee
Expert

Re: Virtual Tracks for multi-takes

Post by MikeDee » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:50 am

G-master G wrote:G'day Rim,

I used to use a Boss BR900CD until my iPad and Auria came along. Something that I found really handy on the BR900CD was that each of its 8 tracks had 8 virtual tracks (v1 to v8) which you could use to do multiple takes of the same instrument and you could choose the best of these multiple takes as the "keeper" or you could cut and paste the best sections of each to create the "keeper".

Does something like that already exist in Auria of which I am unaware?

If not, would it be possible to include as a feature?

Or is there already another way that you can create the same outcome?

Cheers

Grant
+1 if it doesn't hurt performance or take too much memory. My PC DAW (RML Labs' SAWStudio) has this feature...8 "Layers" per Track.

Mike

saveas

Post by saveas » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:12 pm

@MikeDee and @ajmack302

you nailed it!!!!
it's a brilliant trick :)

But, at the end, why it has to be SO complicated?? It should be as simple as in Cubasis or BM2 or in Ableton Live. Drag a region over another and let them play together...

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Assuming that simultaneous playback of overlapping regions is possible in Auria (as long as it doesn't hurt performance or take too much memory [my "mantra," lõl]), it would probably make the most sense to present it as an option...the default being Off...in the event that real·time punch-in becomes a reality (as iOS devices become faster and more efficient).

Also, I usually place a region over an existing one (in whole or part) to hear how, say, a different sample or clip sounds on a specific track. In this case, simultaneous playback of overlapping regions is undesirable. Solution: Make it an option.

Just thinking forward to avoid painting ourselves into a corner and causing rework for Rim. :wink:

In the meantime...glad the "trick" works for you, saveas. :)

Mike

saveas

Post by saveas » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Solution: Make it an option.
That would be great!
Like another option below crossfade, for example "Mix Regions".
So when you multiselect two overlapping regions you can crossfade or mix them!

Please Rim!! :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Yep, I've got this on my wishlist already - adding an additional fade icon for crossfades that simply does an equal mix of the two.

Rim