First cpu overload

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Skyhighrocks

First cpu overload

Post by Skyhighrocks » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:25 pm

And I've only recorded about 30 seconds on 1 track! I purchased the Overloud amp sim...recorded that into one track. Then added a 2nd track to try some overdubbing and it won't let me...cpu overload window pops up. I'm on an iPad 1 but should this be happening already? What am I doing wrong?

Chris M
Expert

Re: First cpu overload

Post by Chris M » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Hello,

Your best bet is probably freezing the first track. You could also increase the Record Latency to diminish the CPU load for better performance on the iPad 1.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

Skyhighrocks

Post by Skyhighrocks » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:38 pm

It might be a good idea to let customers know about that somewhere in the in app purchase before they buy something that is pretty much unusable for us iPad 1 owners! :wink:

marlow777

Post by marlow777 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:19 pm

Is it really that unusable on an iPad 1?

I am considering buying the Auria app with the Overloud sim, but I would want to be able to record 3-4 guitar tracks with Overloud. Will freezing three of the tracks and using the sim actively on one of the four be usable for 30 second clips?

Is Overloud THM equivalent to Overloud TH2? I tried to google videos and any site that would provide information, but their is nothing describing how the two compare or how it is used. Does it have the same number of stomp boxes, amps, and cabinets and does it allow stereo mixing and modular routing like TH2?

My initial thoughts make me want to buy the app and the plugin since it is about 1/10th of the cost for the PC plugin and it is more portable, but I want it to be usable for recording at least one active sim track with others frozen.

Lastly, I did not see the Behringer G102 interface listed as compatible with Auria, but I use it with many apps on the iPad 1 right now. Will it be able to monitor and record at the same time or does it have problems similar to the irig interface mentioned in another post?

Thanks,

Marlow777

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:36 pm

It's useable on an iPad 1, but it's much better on iPad 2 and later. I tried to make that clear in the iTunes description (where I mention that an iPad 2 strongly recommended).

If you're considering buying Auria, and you own an iPad 1, I recommend against it. While it's perfectly useable, you'll need to be on a constant lookout for memory usage, since the iPad 1 has 1/4 of the memory that an iPad 3 has. Careful memory management like making sure you never run any other apps in the background (always close all apps by double clicking on the home button before launching Auria) are a good idea . Also, the GUI updates in the editor are very slow on an iPad 1, since it only has a single core processor. This becomes especially noticeable on large projects.

That said, it's not unusable, just not as great of an experience as using it on a 2 or 3.

Rim

marlow777

Post by marlow777 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:13 pm

Rim,

Even if it is capable of 1/4 of the features available for an iPad 3, I think it would be beneficial.

Even if it was 8 tracks I could see it as being useful. I simply want to know if it is capable of have several frozen tracks of guitar with Overloud THM and an active Overloud THM plugin on one track without crashing/slowing unbearably?

Also, I wanted to know how Overloud THM compares with Overloud TH2 in features. Can you help me with finding resources online or tell me if they are equivalent/identical?

Thanks,

Marlow

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Frozen tracks don't take up any RAM or CPU, so even on an iPad 1, you could have as many frozen tracks as you like (up to 24), and it won't take any additional resources, other than disk space of course. So several tracks of frozen THM and an active one should be no problem on an iPad 1.

I would contact overloud to be sure of the difference, but from what I understand, they are virtually identical.

Rim

Skyhighrocks

Post by Skyhighrocks » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:43 pm

I requested a refund from apple for overloud and they granted it. If you're wanting to do any real recording with an iPad 1, don't get overloud...I couldn't get past 30 seconds with 2 guitar tracks and nothing else before the CPU overloaded. I also had other apps open and plenty of space left to record. It just needs too much power to really do anything. Wasn't digging the sounds I was getting from it anyway. Ampkit and my digitech IPB-10 gave me much better and more usable tones.

Having said that, Auria is awesome!

marlow777

Post by marlow777 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:29 pm

Is it really that bad on the CPU? Did you freeze a track before recording the next loop or did you have both tracks tring to process the thirty second clips at the same time? Do you have any examples of how overloud sounded that you could share? Is it the same as TH2 on PC?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:00 pm

You're right, on an iPad 1, Overloud and many other plug-ins are going to be a constant challenge. That's why we strongly recommend against using an iPad 1 with Auria (we put this in the iTunes description). I'm not saying that an iPad 1 is unusable with Auria, but we're trying to discourage potential buyers of Auria from getting it if they have an iPad 1, since CPU and memory usage is going to be a constant concern. If you're determined to make it work, it's certainly possible to use an iPad 1 (freezing tracks, careful memory management, etc).

I'm sorry for the hassle of having to return Overloud.

Rim

Skyhighrocks

Post by Skyhighrocks » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:23 am

Hey it's no problem! You live, you learn. I did notice a mistake in my post...I had all other apps CLOSED and was only running Auria when trying to use Overloud. I only had 2 tracks in my project and did freeze the first but it didn't help. Auria kept crashing while trying to record the 2nd track of overloud. I don't see how anyone with an iPad 1 can find it usable other than using it in small spots here and there but to each their own!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:34 am

Exactly. Auria on an iPad 1 is pretty hard going.

Have you tried increasing the record latency in the settings? With a higher latency you should be able to squeeze a lot more out of the iPad 1's CPU when running plugins live.

Rim

Skyhighrocks

Post by Skyhighrocks » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:00 pm

I did try adjusting the latency but it didn't help much...the CPU just overclocks too quickly.