Compatible motorised control surface

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Fil Ipo
Expert

Compatible motorised control surface

Post by Fil Ipo » Wed May 13, 2020 7:10 am

Hello,
did any of you use a motorised control surface with AuriaPro ?
I have the Icon QConExG2 in mind because it is not too expensive but don’t know how it will work with AP, in particular with more than 8 tracks.
Thanks in advance for your feedback

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Compatible motorised control surface

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed May 13, 2020 9:05 am

I use the mackie mcu pro and it works fine but Auria does not recognize extentions so you can only use the main unit. The main unit scrolls through the tracks in groups of 8 or single tracks at a time so you can still access all your tracks via the main unit. So any unit that uses mcu or hui will work with Auria such as Persons, Berihinger, Mackie, Qcon act. The reason I know that Auria won't recognize the extenders is because I bought 2 for my mackie thinking Auria would recognize 24 channels at once but it was a no go. So don't spend your money on extenders if your going to use it exclusively with Auria. I have requested that the developer work on trying to get these controllers to work better with Auria but I was told that he would not do any more work regarding controllers. So Auria uses a stripped down version of HUI and MCU control so not all desktop features are available on Auria like you can't automate the pan knob in fact you can only automate the volume sliders and nothing else. Cheers
Last edited by Anthony Alves on Wed May 13, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trancespotter
Expert

Post by Trancespotter » Wed May 13, 2020 2:32 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:05 am
I use the mackie mcc pro and it works fine but Auria does not recognize extentions so you can only use the main unit. The main unit scrolls through the tracks in groups of 8 or single tracks at a time so you can still access all your tracks via the main unit. So any unit that uses mcu or hui will work with Auria such as Persons, Berihinger, Mackie, Qcon act. The reason I know that Auria won't recognize the extenders is because I bought 2 for my mackie thinking Auria would recognize 24 channels at once but it was a no go. So don't spend your money on extenders if your going to use it exclusively with Auria. I have requested that the developer work on trying to get these controllers to work better with Auria but I was told that he would not do any more work regarding controllers. So Auria uses a stripped down version of HUI and MCU control so not all desktop features are available on Auria like you can't automate the pan knob in fact you can only automate the volume sliders and nothing else. Cheers
Do the faders actually move up and down to match the faders on AP? One big annoyance with using hardware MIDI faders with AP, such as the ones on the Novation Launchkey, is the lack of visual feedback on AP letting me know which fader bank is selected.

Fil Ipo
Expert

Post by Fil Ipo » Wed May 13, 2020 3:50 pm

Thanks Anthony this is exactly what I needed to know 👌🏽

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed May 13, 2020 10:25 pm

yes the motorized faders follow Auria. Thats why I got Auria in the first place in 2012. I was amazed at how accurate the control was and still is and I have never had any real issues with connections or operation in all those years. I still feel that it is one of the biggest features in Auria period. No other iOS daw has it. More and more people are noticing that producing music on a piece of glass is not very comfortable for long periods of work and with the apps adding more and more to the screen there is less space to tap and focus thus making working long hrs tiresome and painful. Even apple noticed this and introduced trackpad and mouse control to get around the problem. Music producers use a few pieces of gear to get their tracks recorded and as long as we are tethered to a usb cable we might as well use midi keyboards and controllers as were sitting creating. Musicians are tactile folk and work best with controllers. You do get a ton of fun out of the controller with Auria as you can see the plugins and adjust them from the controller and a lot more. The only thing you really can't do is automate anything in Auria except the volume which works. You can't use the scrub weel and track zoom or scrub. There is also no files control or save functions but the undo works well and you see the track names and vu meters for each track at least it does on the Mackiel. Cheers.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:07 pm

Hi Anthony,

Resurrecting this old thread cos it’s relevant to me. I have always just used the touchscreen but got a hold of a NanoKontrol2 just at the point of stopping recording for a few years (yeah, erm, something called ‘life’ got in the way).

Having finally unboxed it, it doesn’t work. Bummer. I’ll keep plugging away, but I’ve got all the midi settings as recommended on some old threads. I suspect it’s some issue of compatibility with my quite-new iPad Pro.

Are you still happy with your controller, Anthony? If it works with bang up-to-date iOS, then I might splash the cash.

I have loved getting back into Auria. I tracked 24 tracks in a day, bouncing in and out of Auria and GarageBand (for instruments I can’t play myself, like synths) and it just pulls it all together so nicely within Auria. It’s just the business. And I do tracking and mixing in all sorts of different places coz it’s just an iPad and a small interface that’s needed. Brilliant.

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:55 pm

I really do still enjoy my controller. I do recommend the Faderport as an affordable option because it almost controls everything. I've had mine for years and have never had a problem with it. I recommend the original one not the new one as Ive heard that those drivers don't work with iOS as good as the old one. It works in HUI. I use the Mackie mcu pro and it works just fine but I have had to have the screens stirp replaced in the first 3 years of use but it is fine now. Good luck and have fun with your iOS recording experience.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:27 am

Thanks, Anthony. There’s a birthday coming up - what else could a chap wish for...?!

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

ark67
Expert

Post by ark67 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:46 am

Just to add to the list...I've got a Faderport 2. In HUI mode it works except the Fader doesn't receive feedback, in Logic MCU mode the fader movement becomes a note send..weird, but yep that's what happens....then when you put it in Cubase/Nuendo MCU mode and put Auria in MCU mode it's all good. Feeling like Homer Simpson listening to a football match in church...The only weird thing is the touch button becomes a note send, but it all works and the fader receives proper feedback...happy camper here...

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:43 am

The faderport does not work in MCU or Logic Pro mode only HUI so as to work with most daws that include HUI control. In order for the fader to respond back from the daws touch you must have the power supply plugged into the faderport as the fader is motorized and does not move unless it has external power and cannot get that power from the usb cable. You may already be using the power supply but this is to shed light on how it works just in case anyone else is interested. Cheers.

ark67
Expert

Post by ark67 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:22 am

That might be where the difference is between the Faderport and Faderport 2. It looks as if the Faderport broke some kind of compatibility with HUI in Auria Pro. In my experience the Faderport 2 only works fully as expected in MCU mode....

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:53 am

Awe I see I didn't know that as I don't have any experience with the new one. Good to know. Thanks

ark67
Expert

Post by ark67 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:06 am

Does anyone know if the Faderport 8 or 16 show you the channel info in the displays at the top of the channels when operating with AP? I'm thinking about one of these for my next controller.

joe12stories
Expert

Post by joe12stories » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:05 am

Curious about ark67’s findings. I've been able to successfully use both versions of the Faderport with Bluetooth in HUI mode only, including 2 way fader movement. However, the footswitch doesn't work, which was the main feature I was hoping to use with the Faderport.

UPDATE: I realize now that Auria Pro does not let you manually punch in, so the footswitch signal would not matter until that was implemented.

ark67
Expert

Post by ark67 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:51 am

@joe12stories do you mean you actually connect the Faderport via bluetooth? I didn't know that was possible. Maybe I should RTM. But, yep the HUI connection doesn't work for me. I don't know why. I've tried it in all it's variations, but it's only the MCU protocol that works correctly for me. I know others keep saying it's HUI all the way but my motorised fader does not respond except by going to the bottom of it's travel when moving to a new channel. So, that's my experience and it's all I have to work with.