Beatstep Pro with AP settings

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Trancespotter
Expert

Beatstep Pro with AP settings

Post by Trancespotter » Sat May 02, 2020 9:54 pm

I’m trying to get the rotary knobs with the Beatstep Pro controlling the Fabfilter parameters but they don’t seem to be picking up the BSP even though I have it detected in Settings>MIDI set up as in the picture below.

I’m not even sure if that’s correct either.

My question is what settings do I need to set it in SETTINGS->MIDI order to control the Fabfilter Timeless MIDI parameter using the knobs on the BSP?
Attachments
64D91707-3F93-4448-B370-C12E27C94505.png

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Beatstep Pro with AP settings

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun May 03, 2020 7:56 am

This used to be direct but since midi was implemented into Auria it has to be done through a midi track like I will describe. First for your beat step pro you only need to have the Receives Notes on the global midi page on. Now to control Fabfilter. Add a midi track, on that midi track set the input to be Beatstep pro and the output to the Fabfilter, you will see the fabfilter plugin on the track that its on in the midi track output dropdown list. Now arm the midi track so that midi CC can be passed through from the midi track to the Fabfilter plugin. You can record the CC data on that midi track for playback. Don't forget to midi learn your control knobs in Fabfilter by taping MidiLearn and rotate the knob to see the CC number on Fabfilters controls. Cheers

Trancespotter
Expert

Re: Beatstep Pro with AP settings

Post by Trancespotter » Sun May 03, 2020 9:24 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:56 am
This used to be direct but since midi was implemented into Auria it has to be done through a midi track like I will describe. First for your beat step pro you only need to have the Receives Notes on the global midi page on. Now to control Fabfilter. Add a midi track, on that midi track set the input to be Beatstep pro and the output to the Fabfilter, you will see the fabfilter plugin on the track that its on in the midi track output dropdown list. Now arm the midi track so that midi CC can be passed through from the midi track to the Fabfilter plugin. You can record the CC data on that midi track for playback. Don't forget to midi learn your control knobs in Fabfilter by taping MidiLearn and rotate the knob to see the CC number on Fabfilters controls. Cheers
That worked exactly as described, thank you!

I also noticed that whenever a new instance of that same FabFilter (FF) plugin is created on a new track, in my case being a FF Pro-C2, the MIDI learn assignment stayed the same no matter if it was an audio track channel or a MIDI track channel strip, so that's nice. All I had to do was go to the original MIDI channel strip that had the Input set to the Beatstep Pro (BSP) and set the Output to whatever channel's plugin I wanted to.

I kept experimenting and I noticed that I can select "Receive MMC" and/or "Receive MTC" on "Arturia Beatstep Pro Arturia Beatstep Pro" (I think that's what it says, the words are cut off) then I can use Record, Stop, and Play/Pause on the BSP. Selecting "Send MMC/MTC/Clock" do not do anything.

Later this week I'm going to experiment with getting the BSP sequencers to play when AP starts playing. This took me a few frustrating days to get to work with Logic Pro X, so I'm hoping it's fairly simple with AP.

Thanks again!