Back in the Auria saddle and hit a problem

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Bob Amser
Expert

Back in the Auria saddle and hit a problem

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:11 pm

Dear Auria people,

I abandoned home recording due to, well, life, but in the UK we are in lockdown and a great opportunity arose (along with kids getting older) to get back in the saddle.

It’s great to be back! And this time I have an iPad Pro, which does seem to handle it with much more ease than my iPad 4 back in the day.

Anyway, I’ve tracked about a dozen tracks and am getting a kind of crackly fizz in the background which seems to be like a distorted reverb or fizzy distortion somewhere. Annoying.

I’ve checked all levels and can’t see any going into the red, either before or after any plugins etc. The master isn’t into the red either.

Any ideas?

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Espiegel123
Expert

Re: Back in the Auria saddle and hit a problem

Post by Espiegel123 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:25 pm

Bob Amser wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:11 pm
Dear Auria people,

I abandoned home recording due to, well, life, but in the UK we are in lockdown and a great opportunity arose (along with kids getting older) to get back in the saddle.

It’s great to be back! And this time I have an iPad Pro, which does seem to handle it with much more ease than my iPad 4 back in the day.

Anyway, I’ve tracked about a dozen tracks and am getting a kind of crackly fizz in the background which seems to be like a distorted reverb or fizzy distortion somewhere. Annoying.

I’ve checked all levels and can’t see any going into the red, either before or after any plugins etc. The master isn’t into the red either.

Any ideas?
What iOS version?

Are you using an external interface?

Do you hear this on all tracks? I.e. if you solo a single track do you hear it?

What sample rate is the project?

What size buffer are you using?

Are you using a lot of plugins?

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:22 pm

Very kind of you to apply your brain to my problem!

I’m on an iPad Pro, iOS 13.3.1 (it’s offering upgrade to 13.4). I didn’t change the sample rate or buffer size from standard (not sure how / why I would do that!).

My audio is recorded through Yamaha AG06. I have also input a couple of tracks from GarageBand. One came in really hot so I re-recorded it, but I had the fizz before I did anything on GarageBand to port in.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:22 pm

I am using quite a lot of plugins - I’ve got buses, so applying the plugins on three buses and the master strip - 3 on each (on average).

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:19 pm

Bob Amser wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:22 pm
Very kind of you to apply your brain to my problem!

I’m on an iPad Pro, iOS 13.3.1 (it’s offering upgrade to 13.4). I didn’t change the sample rate or buffer size from standard (not sure how / why I would do that!).

My audio is recorded through Yamaha AG06. I have also input a couple of tracks from GarageBand. One came in really hot so I re-recorded it, but I had the fizz before I did anything on GarageBand to port in.
So, there are a lot of things that could be to blame.

You say that you record through the AG06, are you playing back through it as well?

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:16 am

I can hear it more when I just listen on my iPad speakers themselves, I think because it’s audible mostly in the treble range, but I also hear it when listening through headphones or monitor speakers through the interface.

ark67
Expert

Post by ark67 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:34 am

Have you tried soloing each track? Might just be a matter of going through each channel in detail. Could be a saturation plugin or settting..I’ve found this with using FF Saturn for example, needed to gate things to get things to behave.These things donk’t always show up visually.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:14 pm

Bob Amser wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:16 am
I can hear it more when I just listen on my iPad speakers themselves, I think because it’s audible mostly in the treble range, but I also hear it when listening through headphones or monitor speakers through the interface.
This isn't normal or expected.

It sounds like it is time to methodically figure out what is contributing to this by going step-by-step starting with a something that has few varials.
The first thing to do is create a new project and add a single track with no plug-ins. Record a single the track using whatever method you used in the tracks that sound "fizzy".

Does that single track sound fizzy?

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:31 pm

Well, it was really loud when I tested it. A kind of rapid clicking. It started as soon as anything made any noise. Gah! It was audible on my headphones through the Yamaha as well.

Tried an old project - no noise.

Back to the new one - noise.

Decided to ignore it and carry on mixing. After a bit, realised - no noise! And it didn’t come back. It’s not on the final mixdown.

I think it’s some glitch with the iPad. Maybe something to do with sample rates?

Anyway. Loving Auria. Didn’t take long to get back in the swing.

Thanks for the help. Encouraged me to persevere.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:56 pm

Bob Amser wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:31 pm
Well, it was really loud when I tested it. A kind of rapid clicking. It started as soon as anything made any noise. Gah! It was audible on my headphones through the Yamaha as well.

Tried an old project - no noise.

Back to the new one - noise.

Decided to ignore it and carry on mixing. After a bit, realised - no noise! And it didn’t come back. It’s not on the final mixdown.

I think it’s some glitch with the iPad. Maybe something to do with sample rates?

Anyway. Loving Auria. Didn’t take long to get back in the swing.

Thanks for the help. Encouraged me to persevere.
What you describe sounds like the USB interface and iPad using different clocks or different sample rates.

Powering the ipad and interface down and the restarting them and making sure they are set to the sample rate will solve issues like that.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:42 am

Will do, thanks. Sample rate is something I have always put in the category of ‘do nothing and hope that’s OK’! I never had any issues with my Focusrite iTrack Solo, but my eldest daughter has nabbed that, so I got myself the Yamaha. I do like it though - and it’s useful to have more inputs. Especially with ‘lockdown’ in the UK - I’m going to do a ‘live’ recording with my two daughters of some songs for our church, which the two inputs on the iTrack Solo wouldn’t have been great for.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:26 am

Just an update - sample rate was the problem, I think, although I’m not at all sure. I could find no way of setting the sample rate on the Yamaha through iOS. I don’t think that’s possible. I had to go back to my PC and wrestle with drivers and a lack of instructions anywhere about how to change the settings. That’s two hours of my flippin’ life I’ll never get back.

Still, now I’ve done that, all seems to be working tickety-boo.

I’ve also done some recording using the XR18 - the Yamaha makes you think you can record six tracks simultaneously, but you can only do tracks 1 and 2 separately, or a summed stereo mix of the lot. The XR18 recorded very nicely to Auria. Took some twiddling and YouTube watching to get the inputs / outputs/ aux sends etc. Configured properly, but it does work.

Thanks so much for the help. I’m loving being back on Auria.